Favorite Anime

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I'd type them out, but I just made this for an /a/ thread and I figured it would fit in here as well.

I think I did a good job balancing out the manly, the dramatic, the lewd, the DEEP, the funny and the nostalgic. Although the nostalgia definitely has a big presence here.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I actually like half of that stuff
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Has anyone ever seen the anime film Grave of the Fireflies? It's an amazing anti-war film. I think it's done by the same studio as Spirited Away, but I think it's WAY better.

Spark Of Spirit

I haven't watched it and I never will.

I saw Barefoot Gen and that did it for me on those types of films.  :'(
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, anti-war films about the futility of hope and the complete and utter decimation of childhood innocence are one of the few things I just can't watch.

Watching those scenes from Barefoot Gen are enough to fuck my night up.

Avaitor

I honestly thought Grave of the Fireflies was a little melodramatic. Never really was big on that one.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Excellent movie. Would never watch it again, though.

Eddy

I actually haven't watched anime for quite a few years now so I've kind of fallen behind with the current big shows. But when I did watch it more my favorites were (in no particular order)...

Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Yu Yu Hakusho
Outlaw Star
Fruits Basket
Card Captor Sakura
BoBo-Bo Bo-BoBoBo
Shin Chan
Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z
Rurouni Kenshin
Big O
Blue Gender
Pokemon

There are probably a few I'm forgetting but that's all that comes to mind right now. I feel ashamed to say I never watched Lupin.  :whuh:

Spark Of Spirit

Finally, someone else on this board who likes Fruits Basket!

If you want any suggestions, I can say Martian Successor Nadesico and Monster are quite great.

Eddy

Fruits Basket is awesome!

And I'll keep those series in mind! Thanks for the suggestions. There are animes that I'd like to watch but most of them just require so much time. Not to mention money. (Is anime still as absurdly expensive as it used to be?)

Spark Of Spirit

It depends on the series. Some have cheap essential collections like Cowboy Bebop or MSN that allowed me to scoop 'em up cheap.

Some don't even get proper releases, like Monster. Which is such a total failure that it didn't get a proper release.

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle

Oh man, the Monster dub...

Liam O'Brien is such an awesome voice actor. So glad they picked him to play one of my favorite characters of all time.