Remedy Entertainment

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 31, 2010, 03:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Discuss any and all games made by Remedy Entertainment, which in this case is 4....I'm not even kidding. I've only ever played 2.5 out of the 4 games that they've ever released in their 15 years of existence, which include both the Max Payne games, and Alan Wake which I'm currently on Episode Four of.

I've played and loved both Max Payne games for their gritty crime-drama noir stories, and above all else their John Woo inspired action in their gameplay.

I'm currently in the middle of Alan Wake, and I do enjoy its narrative (though not to the same extent as the Max Payne games), and it has solid gameplay mechanics that make it play like a great action game. Its horror elements are also well-done, IMO.

Avaitor

Well I don't know about their other games, but I thought the Max Paynes were very well-done action games with fun stories.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The manuscript pages in Alan Wake are basically its version of the comic-book panels from Max Payne, but what's brilliant about the novel pages is that they aren't presented in chronological order, but rather are presented in the order that you find them while playing the game. I really enjoy how they can reference past, present, or future events, especially how the future ones really do accurately foreshadow events to come, which is a cool way of warning you of some upcoming boss-ish fights, and other dangerous encounters which you might face. And in other cases it just reveals later parts of the story that you'll see either in a scripted event or in a cut-scene....fucking spoilers. >:(

Spark Of Spirit

I'm betting an Alan Wake sequel will be announced this year.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd be surprised if it wasn't, especially given how quickly Max Payne 2 was announced after the release of the 1st game. The way Remedy had the game developed without a definitive ending, even with the additional DLC episodes, pretty much screams sequel, as far as I'm concerned, and from what I've played of the game so far I'd gladly welcome a sequel. The game is tons of fun with very little in it that I would call dull, and it really says something that I can't see myself getting burned out on it anytime soon. After I beat the game and its additional episodes, I think I'll just jump right into the harder difficulties. Its worth it since there are a bunch of manuscript pages that I missed my first time through, along with other collectibles, and the gameplay in general is solid and fun enough to the point that its just fun to use all the different means available to you to take down enemies in this game.

Still, I personally wish Remedy would make a Max Payne 3, before continuing on with Alan Wake, but I know that it'll never really happen. I guy can dream, though....

Spark Of Spirit

Someone else is making a Max Payne 3, though. So I don't think it's really their decision any more. Sort of like Monolith with FEAR.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Desensitized on January 02, 2011, 08:35:26 PM
Someone else is making a Max Payne 3, though. So I don't think it's really their decision any more. Sort of like Monolith with FEAR.

I know, hence why I said I know its not possible that they will ever make it. Though, it should be noted that nothing has ever come of any new news or info about Max Payne 3 for over a year, so I'm really just going to assume that the project was canceled, for now, which I honestly can't say that I'm too disappointed about, since I don't like the direction that the new game seemed to be going in, personally.

Foggle

The main difference between F.E.A.R. 3 and Max Payne 3 is that it seems like the F.E.A.R. 3 devs actually know what they're doing. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just beat Alan Wake. It was good. That is all....

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alan Wake 2 is a definite possibility: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/04/21/remedys-alan-wake-2-could-potentially-come-to-ps4/

I hope it happens. I remember a lot of people complaining that the original was not a great game because of the wait. To that I respectfully raise my middle finger at them. Alan Wake was a great game, one of the best games of last gen, and easily one of my favorite TPS games ever. It is also one of the few modern games that has a heavy focus on story and does it well without feeling like pretentious drivel.

I would love to play a sequel from one of my favorite developers ever.

Foggle

Comparing Alan Wake and Max Payne 3 is like night and day. Rockstar is nothing compared to Remedy when it comes to this type of game.

AW was far from my favorite game last gen, but it does feature one of the best moments in gaming history.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alan Wake = One of the best games of Gen 7 = Indisputable Fact

Also, the Asgard theme/Rock Concert fight is my favorite moment in any TPS ever, with the lone exception of the Xenomorph boss fight from RE4 (I know it's not a Xenomorph, but fuck it), which still stands as my all time favorite.

Foggle

I just count the entirety of RE4 as the single greatest moment in TPS history, myself. But the concert level and some other parts in the back half of Alan Wake (and The Writer) come pretty close.

gunswordfist

Assuming you don't already have the game, Alan Wake Collector's Edition is $3.32 (using the MAY5 code) on bundlestars for the next 2-3 hours due to the game being delisted due to expiring music licenses. https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/alan-wake-collectors-edition GET IT NOW!!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Seriously, it's a steal at that price. The game ends on a still-unresolved cliffhanger and might make your computer sound like a jet engine, but it's 100% worth playing just for that farm level with the rock concert stage. Hopefully it will get relisted later (Remedy's supposedly working on licensing the music again), but better safe than sorry.

This also reminds me that I still need to play Quantum Break.