What Are You Listening To II: Whole Lotta Music

Started by Avaitor, July 06, 2013, 03:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Tegan and Sara - "Walking with a Ghost"

Man this entire album is great. And it's 13 years old, which I didn't realize it'd even been that long. And that makes me feel old.

Avaitor

I forgot to mention this, but I did find a country artist I like- Luke Combs.

He's probably best known for "Hurricane", which is pretty good, but I like his next hit even better. My taste in country for the longest time has been more angsty stuff like Cash and Townes, but in truth, I don't really want to find modern versions of them. I also really don't like the current bro country trend or Taylor and Carrie wannabes that are still around. Something like this, which has a little more weight, but you can still pull a beer to and enjoy, is way more my speed.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Death Cab for Cutie - "Title and Registration"

Avaitor

The new At the Gates single does not disappoint. It swings so damn hard.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

KONGOS has been one of my new favs lately. You've undoubtedly heard this - if only because every brand in existence was using it advertising for about a year or so and basically beat the life out of it - but their last album was really good and definitely deserves a look. Extremely my shit here.

Markness

I put off buying Helmet's Aftertaste for many years since most reviews I read of it were bad and said it paled in comparison to Meantime and Betty. Well, I finally decided to give it a shot and it's actually a pretty good album. Sure, it's no Meantime or Betty but it has some underrated Helmet songs like It's Easy To Get Bored and (High) Visibility. Sometimes the reviewers get it right but it's ultimately better to listen to something yourself. Bad Religion's The Grey Race and No Substance get looked down upon but they are actually some really good albums with some of the band's most solid songs. I feel the same about Napalm Death's  mid and late 90's era.

Kiddington

Made In Heights - "Murakami"

One of my new favorites; can't believe this has been out for three years and I'm just now hearing it. Great for getting work done at 3am.

Dr. Insomniac

Been binging through a lot of Sex Pistols recently. It makes me want to read some books about the punk rock scene and Sid Vicious' life.

Mustang

Aretha Franklin - Respect (R.I.P.)

Well, truth be told I've listened to quite a bit of her today. Being a native Detroiter, we've seen it coming, but still it sucks. Michael Jackson is my favorite artist and I respect Prince but neither of their death's hit me. Aretha passing stung a little bit.
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Avaitor

Yeah, Aretha is a massive loss. Granted, I recall there being a scare for her sake a few years ago, but the real thing happening makes it hurt all the same. Her library is incomparable.

New blog!

Painted Outlaw

Last night, it was some Evanescence since I was trying to see how I felt about them nowadays. The verdict being that while I think Amy Lee can still carry a tune, something about the songs I re-listened to just felt so... flat. I can't listen to them anymore.

At least I still have Within Temptation, though. They still rock.

Avaitor

YOB- "The Screen"

Not sure if I can do a list this year, since there's so much that I liked, limiting myself to 10 or even 20 might hurt. But this would definitely be near the top.

New blog!

Avaitor

The Darkness- "Why Don't the Beautiful Cry?"

I forgot to check out their last album when it came out- it's pretty good!

New blog!