Wander Over Yonder

Started by Daikun, July 18, 2013, 09:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

This new Disney Channel series from Craig McCracken (a pet project of his since '07) was announced last year and, aside from a few teaser images and a brief synopsis, not much has been heard about it since.

QuoteThe series follows Wander and his steed Sylvia traveling from earth to a planet helping people have fun and live free, all against Lord Hater and his army of Watchdogs' evil reign.

Wander Over Yonder premieres August 16 at 9PM on the Disney Channel.

Spark Of Spirit

I saw the preview episode and it was pretty good. Miles better than what I remember of Foster's, anyway.

This has potential.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

I also agree. I got quite a few laughs out of this show from the preview. Disney's TV Animation department is making one more step in the right direction if this keeps up.

LumRanmaYasha

It was okay, but kinda really predictable too, so I'm a little disappointed. I'll see how the next episodes go before I decide to commit or not.

Daikun

I'll admit to feeling rather disappointed as well. It was one joke repeated throughout the entire episode. Hater is ready to proclaim his success, Wander annoys him. Hater is ready to proclaim his success, Wander annoys him. Hater is ready to proclaim his success, Wander annoys him... That's all it was. For 11 straight minutes.

Come on, Craig! I've seen you do better. I hope the rest of the series isn't like this.

Goldstar

It was basically SpongeBob and Squidward in space. Though to be fair, this was only a single 11 minute short. Hopefully that won't be the general tone of the entire series. The shows' opening theme song, however, is infectious.

Also, it still burns me how Craig McCracken's wife Lauren Faust couldn't get any network to air her outer space themed series Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls, not even Disney Channel or The Hub, yet The Hub had no problem with green lighting an animated series about a boy who fights crime dressed as a girl.  :wth: Mrs. Faust should just go independent with Galaxy Girls.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Silverstar

After all the hype and buildup for this show, I have to say this was something of a letdown. It was just one joke over and over. Granted, this was just a preview of a single episode, but still, if every story is just Wander annoying Lord Hater wherever he may roam, I'm gonna pass on this one. The universe Craig has envisioned for this show looks fun and imaginative, and the show's theme music has a bouncy, kitschy, Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band-esque quality to it, but that's where the charm ended for me.

We can't get a Galaxy Girls or a Super Best Friends Forever series, but stuff like this and SheZow! get the green light. When I break into the biz, maybe I'll just make cartoons for the internet.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Mr. Big

FYI, you can download the first REAL episode ("The Greatest" and "The Egg") for FREE on iTunes.

I just finished watching "The Greatest". It's MUCH, MUCH better than the episode that aired last month. Wander wasn't that annoying and he actually had enough self-awareness to stop the bad guy. The animation's great and I love how they edited the sound effects.

So yeah, check this one out. I haven't seen "The Egg" yet.

EDIT: one thing I like is how they display the title. Rather than doing the standard title card, the cartoons would start normal, then the screen would pause, at which point the title shows up on-screen.

Daikun

Okay, I just watched the premiere. Yeah, it's certainly better than last month's preview.

They should've let Hater keep the planet, though.

Silverstar

Meh, I'm still not feeling this show. Since this is Craig McCracken's first series since Foster's I really want to like it, but the stories and the characters just aren't doing it for me. I find Wander himself more annoying than amusing, though Jack MacBrayer gives his performance his all, and I just find the other characters flat, one-dimensional and uninteresting.

I appreciate that Wander doesn't try to be anything more than a goofy comedy; it's not full of itself like Adventure Time, so I can respect that, I just wish I could get into it.

I'll give Wander Over Yonder a few more weeks, but if things don't pick up I'm moving on.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daikun

Okay, after watching "The Egg" and "The Fugitives," I can easily say that Sylvia is the best character in the series. She trumps both Wander and Hater by lightyears.

hobbyfan

I finally got around to watching the opener On Demand.

Ah, what fun. The McCrackens mix some Looney Tunes with Dr. Seuss in a nice, tidy package. Wander reminds me of Bugs Bunny in how he can annoy a bigger opponent into sudden defeat. "The Egg" was a homage to Dr. Seuss' Horton Hatches The Egg (which WB adapted as a Looney Tunes short, IIRC, many moons ago).

As someone who didn't follow Foster's or the Powerpuff Girls too closely, this was a cool trip.

Daikun

Ten new episodes in June!

Damn! After lots of months of practical silence, it's nice for them to push this much out.

Avaitor

I always forget to give this show a try. Is it good? It kind of seems like a nice compliment to Gravity Falls and the new Mickey shorts, which is absolutely welcome.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on May 17, 2014, 11:57:43 AMI always forget to give this show a try. Is it good? It kind of seems like a nice compliment to Gravity Falls and the new Mickey shorts, which is absolutely welcome.

It starts off a bit rocky for the first couple of episodes, but it continually gets better after that.