Teen Titans Go!

Started by hobbyfan, July 21, 2013, 05:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Huh, I missed this from tonight's episode.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

So it's getting a movie next summer.

Greg Cipes and Tara Strong posted about it, so this is looking to be true. What a short turnaround, then.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

*sighs* only the mega popular cartoons get movies and it had to be this one.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daxdiv

I wonder what they'll do to extend a runtime appropriate for a theater.

Peanutbutter

It's more popular than its other incarnation on CN, so I'm not that surprised. Happy for fans of the show. I won't seek it out in theaters, but I'll give it a watch when it inevitably airs on CN.

Really sucks the original never got this much hype though. Stuff like this is a bit sad though, because it justifies them isolating the action shows.

Dr. Insomniac

Checking the ratings for Teen Titans Go, the ratings aren't anywhere near enough to suggest a theatrical release would be profitable. Unless they get so cheap that they just staple 8 episodes together and call that a movie.

Avaitor

Considering how cheap the show's animation is, I don't see it needing a big budget. I wouldn't be surprised if it only cost like $10-20 mill before advertising.

I do wonder if it's going to be a soft reboot like the Ninjago movie apparently is, though.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The ratings have been dropping on this for a while. I'm surprised they're not trying to slowly fade it out like everything else.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

I still believe that some CN exec has a weird obsession over TTG!, and that's why they keep marathoning the show when theoretically, they make less money from its commercials than they would other cartoons because it's not a Cartoon Network original. That's why they shafted previous DC shows, and why they cancelled the original TT in favor of making Ben 10 so they could profit from that series.

Avaitor

I'll admit that I don't check the ratings as often, but from what I can tell, TTG is still CN's biggest hit, and the main reason it's having a ratings slump is because the channel in general is. Nick's been on decline for years, but they didn't phase out SpongeBob because of it.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Even during TTG's prime, the ratings difference between other shows was only a couple hundred thousand instead of over a million viewers.

Peanutbutter

Let's not forget that right now we're using TV ratings, which are becoming a lot more dated in the wake of cord cutting. I don't know what the online stats are for Teen Titans Go are for CN's app/website, but judging by how hard Cartoon Network has been pushing both I'm starting to think unlike other cable networks, they're among the few that have seen the writing on the wall for cable and are adjusting to Internet viewings accordingly.

LumRanmaYasha

You can't gauge the success of a television show based on ratings alone anymore. Like Peanutbutter said, streaming stats are more important these days, not to mention there are toy sales and advertising interests to factor in. Regardless, I don't expect the TTG! movie to do well for the same reasons Ninjago didn't - kids don't have much incentive to see the movie in theaters when they can watch the show at home and wait for it to stream, and parents will have no interest in seeing the movie themselves.

Dr. Insomniac

QuoteLike Peanutbutter said, streaming stats are more important these days, not to mention there are toy sales and advertising interests to factor in.
That's the thing. I have seen no evidence of TTG having enough of an internet footprint to justify a movie doing well. Sure, you can say streaming stats are important, but that's like if Disney saw the value in those Spider-Man/Elsa videos that get tens of millions of views and thought that was an incentive to make a Frozen MCU film. Besides, there's a difference between letting your kid fiddle with your iPad and watch cartoons and actually paying $20 (not including popcorn) to let them watch the same thing in theaters. That's what that one CEO failed to consider when he thought the Oogieloves film would do as well as the Teletubbies show.

gunswordfist

A Frozen/Spider-Man movie would sell like crazy/
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody