Adventure Time

Started by Avaitor, December 31, 2010, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Comeau on April 09, 2012, 09:02:27 PM
And MAD is so unbelievably bad.  Holy shit.  Don't know why this is still on the air.

I will admit to finding a few skits actually funny..but...yeah. I can see where your coming from.

As for AT...meh. I've laughed a few times, but overall it just doesn't click with me.

Ice King is the best, though.

Kiddington

AT has got to be the most hit or miss show of all time for me. I mean, seriously; 50% of the time I absolutely love it, and the other 50% of the time I want nothing to do with it.

Still torn whether or not I want to invest in season sets of this. When it's on, it's on... but man, it can be sooooo inconsistent/almost downright bad when it's not.

Goldstar

For whatever reason, Adventure Time just never pulled me in. The storytelling is just too random and weird for my tastes. I can deal with something being kind of strange, but it also has to be funny and entertaining. Overall, AT is more strange funny than it is "Ha-Ha" funny, and I also find the story telling on AT uneven to the point of being off-putting; one story will be played strictly for laughs, and then the next will be almost completely devoid of any kind humor.

I realize that I'm now criticizing AT for the precise reason(s) why many others love it, but I personally can't deal with the utter incongruity of a show that looks like it was drawn by a child and featuring a spazzy kid who always wears a bear hat, a talking dog and a land of living candy people that wants to be taken seriously. Either be a goofy comedy, a drama or an epic adventure. You can't be all 3.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Karamazova

My baby brother got season one last Christmas, and he got me hooked. Now we watch the new episode online every Monday when I come home from work. It's one of those shows that's funnier if you're dead tired or kind of out of it (It'd probably be really funny while high. Or just terrifying.).

Most of my laughter comes from how bizarre (or just wrong) some of the jokes are.

I'm also currently in the process of making a Finn the Human doll. I have his detached head lying around and I need to finish him up at some point.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Goldstar on February 10, 2013, 08:53:02 AM
I realize that I'm now criticizing AT for the precise reason(s) why many others love it, but I personally can't deal with the utter incongruity of a show that looks like it was drawn by a child and featuring a spazzy kid who always wears a bear hat, a talking dog and a land of living candy people that wants to be taken seriously. Either be a goofy comedy, a drama or an epic adventure. You can't be all 3.
Eh, I was always against the idea of shows sticking to just one genre. It's as if the more thought-out something is, the more vague genre feels. Take The Big Lebowski, for example. That movie's a comedy, a noir, a thriller, a sports movie, and a bunch of other genres. And yet, that film feels just as cohesive as any other, if not more so.

The Shadow Gentleman

I think AT's problem is that can't really do many of things it's trying to be very well, IMO.

Kiddington

I just don't like the inconsistency. Again, sometimes it can be really great... and other times, it's either too weird for its own good, or everything just falls flat.

Maybe I should try watching it stoned one of these days. That might be what I'm missing. :sly:

Nel_Annette

The only real things I don't like about AT are when the "bro" humor gets out of hand, and when the writing team starts doing story arc-ish things that build up to nothing. Princess Bubblegum de-aging, The Lich getting the Enchiridion back and traveling into the multiverse, the alternate Finn's reality not even being that, but a temporary wish made by Finn, Lady and Jake having kids... these things go nowhere. AT is one of those weird shows that, when it's world-building, is somehow worse for it. Stick to the comedy.

At its best, though, it really is a fantastic show.

Silverstar

So there was another Fionna and Cake short this past Monday...eh.

While I do like Fionna more than I'll ever like Finn, the stories the writers come up with for F&C just leave me cold. They're always shipper nonsense. I guess they're supposed to be sendups of shipper fics, but I don't know, I'd like to see just one F&C story which doesn't revolve around which gender-swapped character the main characters want Fionna to go out with.

And after the ending of this one, the writers pretty much have to declare them real and have them appear in the 'real' AT universe at some point, lest they invoke the wrath of angry fans.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

hobbyfan

From what I've seen of Adventure Time, and I don't watch it that much, actually, the animation has a certain old school-----and we're talking Golden Age here----vibe to it in much the same way that Tom Petty used Little Nemo in Slumberland as a template for his video for "Running Down a Dream" nearly 25 years ago. If you've ever seen that video, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

I realize I'm not the target demo here, but it must be working because they have the comics deal with Boom! that is also big right now (and Boom! just picked up Regular Show). I think it's more of an acquired taste that comes a little slowly, depending on how frequently you watch.

Mr. Big

Quote from: hobbyfan on February 25, 2013, 08:33:56 PM
From what I've seen of Adventure Time, and I don't watch it that much, actually, the animation has a certain old school-----and we're talking Golden Age here----vibe to it in much the same way that Tom Petty used Little Nemo in Slumberland as a template for his video for "Running Down a Dream" nearly 25 years ago. If you've ever seen that video, you'll understand what I'm talking about.
You're not the only one. When Jerry Beck first saw the pilot at Frederator, he asked Pen Ward if it was influenced by Tom Terrific, a 1950s TV cartoon created by Gene Deitch. Ward replied that he has never even heard of it.

hobbyfan

Quote from: Mr. Big on March 10, 2013, 02:36:16 PM
Quote from: hobbyfan on February 25, 2013, 08:33:56 PM
You're not the only one. When Jerry Beck first saw the pilot at Frederator, he asked Pen Ward if it was influenced by Tom Terrific, a 1950s TV cartoon created by Gene Deitch. Ward replied that he has never even heard of it.

Not to pick nits, but Tom Terrific came along in the 60's, not the 50's.

Mr. Big

Quote from: hobbyfan on March 10, 2013, 08:20:06 PM
Not to pick nits, but Tom Terrific came along in the 60's, not the 50's.
Umm, it IS from the 1950s. It was produced from 1957 to 1958.

Daikun

Peanutbutter