Aniplex Bitch Thread

Started by Lord Dalek, August 11, 2013, 05:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Il

That's nice to know. Never once thought to check out Barnes & Noble for anything. I'm seeing good savings. Thanks!
Hoping shipping wouldn't be a biggie.

Daikun

Quote from: Lord Il on August 31, 2013, 12:39:28 PM
Well.. I'm thinking Sentai could still use a kick in the ass after what I saw yesterday. Poked my head in the local HMV and saw Another (DVD) on the shelf for about 67 bucks. We're talking about a series of only 12 episodes here. On Sentai's site it goes for $59.98. Blu-ray puts it up by 10 bucks.
Still not as bad as a comparably sized series from Aniplex. But.. c'mon..

$35 on Amazon.

Lord Il

^Another nice option! (No pun intended.)  :il_hahaha:

TheEclecticDude

Only show I bought from Aniplex was Madoka DVDs, and thankfully I got them via RightStuf, which sell it at a slight discount. Then again, most of their releases I don't care for.

The fact that they are releasing SAO makes little sense to me, for two reasons. First, most people will probably watch it on Toonami for free anyway. Second, when getting a series on DVD/bluray it tends to be something one can rewatch. Of the SAO eps I've seen none of them are worth rewatching. But, if anyone wishes to purchase that show, then yeah its your waste of money, making your anime buying a sunk cost.

My two cents

Lord Dave

I just finished watching SAO on Hulu. ($9.00 and you got the whole series)

Then I saw this thread.
So I looked it up.

Amazon.com has sword art online  in blueray, broken into two parts, and limited edition versions for $100
The DVD version is half the cost.

Considering a single blu-ray disk is roundly $25 and it's three disks, it's sort of on par.  A bit much maybe, but still not overly costly.
"Diligently at work for my own Ego."

-Mr. Fix it.

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Dave on September 05, 2013, 01:07:21 PM
Amazon.com has sword art online  in blueray, broken into two parts, and limited edition versions for $100
That's not all of SAO - that's all of the first arc. It's actually divided into four parts.

Lord Dave

Quote from: Foggle on September 05, 2013, 01:32:45 PM
Quote from: Lord Dave on September 05, 2013, 01:07:21 PM
That's not all of SAO - that's all of the first arc. It's actually divided into four parts.
Wait what?
I thought the show had only 25 episodes and 2 arcs?

Granted, 175 minutes is only like 8 episodes.  But still... 4 parts?  Really?

*reads up*
Ok, seems like they padded it with extras.  So it's probably less than 8 episodes.  Joy...

Well, I have hulu so yay me.
"Diligently at work for my own Ego."

-Mr. Fix it.

Daikun

Aniplex acquires Vividred and Oreshura.

QuoteThe DVD sets will retail for US$59.98 each in stores

...Aren't their prices usually higher than that? ???

TheEclecticDude

Those are sub-only with postcards as extra material

Lord Dalek

Fifty bucks and dvd only is still too much for fucking Vividred.

Foggle

In light of the recent Kill la Kill news, here's a handy comparison chart of Aniplex of America blu-ray pricing vs. various United Kingdom distributor blu-ray pricing:

Spoiler
Madoka Magica from AoA: $120
Madoka Magica from Manga: $37

Fate/Zero from AoA: $290
Fate/Zero from MVM: $84

Gurren Lagann from AoA: $550
Gurren Lagann from Anime Limited: $181 (this is the exact same release as the AoA version, a cheaper standard edition is also coming out for $97)

Blue Exorcist from AoA: $280
Blue Exorcist from Manga: $117

Magi from AoA: $135 (DVD-only release)
Magi from Manga: $95 (blu-ray)

Bakemonogatari from AoA: $150
Bakemonogatari from MVM: $80

Nisemonogatari from AoA: $120
Nisemonogatari from MVM: $74

Sword Art Online from AoA: $360
Sword Art Online from Manga: $181

Durarara!! from AoA: $140 (packaged in a lunchbox that won't fit properly on your shelf)
Durarara!! from Anime Limited: $100 (cheaper standard edition coming next year for probably about $60)

As you can see, many of the UK prices are still kind of high compared to the average Funimation release, but at least they're reasonable for the most part.

It's also worth noting that the UK SAO and limited edition Gurren Lagann releases were around $60 cheaper than they currently are until a random price jump one or two months ago. Limited edition Durarara was also about $30 cheaper. It's likely that Aniplex was directly involved with bringing about that increase.
[close]

I have no idea why I put so much effort into making this. I guess my point is, don't support Aniplex of America and their inevitable $240+ Kill la Kill release. They are a terrible company and do not deserve your money.

LumRanmaYasha

They most certainly do not. How the fuck they can seriously charge over half a grand for the mere 27 episodes of Gurren Lagann is beyond me. I bought my GL set from Bandai back in the day for, like, 40 bucks or something, and thank god I did because these prices are ridiculous. 

Seriously, who the hell would buy that GL set? Who would do that when you could literally buy about 20 complete 26-episode series from FUNimation for the same amount of money? Goddamit.  :srs:

Eddy

Shit. Maybe I should invest in a region free Blu Ray player. I use my PS3 which, if believe, is not region free from BDs.

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 29, 2014, 11:29:10 PM
Seriously, who the hell would buy that GL set?
I don't know, but it sold out.

Enough people bought it that it went out of print.

Yeah...

Quote from: Eddy on May 29, 2014, 11:34:10 PM
Shit. Maybe I should invest in a region free Blu Ray player. I use my PS3 which, if believe, is not region free from BDs.
Unfortunately, it isn't. :( The system itself is actually region-locked, it's just that no PS3 game discs are (outside of Persona 4 Arena).

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on May 29, 2014, 11:36:39 PM

I don't know, but it sold out.

Enough people bought it that it went out of print.

Yeah...

That...that's honestly kind of depressing.  :wth: