Aniplex Bitch Thread

Started by Lord Dalek, August 11, 2013, 05:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

On one hand, I get how FUNi is able to charge less because they have super profitable licenses like DBZ and now Attack on Titan. Super popular stuff that is bound to do well.

On the other hand, Aniplex still seems to think it's 1998. I don't want to get single expensive discs of Kill la Kill or Madoka Magica with 3 or 4 episodes on each one. I was hoping I was done with this shit from the days of the FLCL DVDs costing $30 each and only have two episodes.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Foggle on May 29, 2014, 11:36:39 PM
I don't know, but it sold out.

Enough people bought it that it went out of print.

Yeah...

The one percent... like... Gurren Lagann?  :??:

Eddy

Perhaps I'll do my shopping for Aniplex licenses on eBay. I found the complete set of Madoka Magica on BD being sold for about $60, less than one Madoka Bluray from Aniplex.

Daikun

More reason to bitch about Aniplex: They're giving up-and-coming new dubbing studios bad advice.

A new studio called Pony Canyon is releasing their first dub, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, for 90 frickin' dollars. Today, they admitted in an interview that they received pointers from guess-who.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Why is FUNimation's Blu-Ray/DVD packaging and pricing not the standard by now when it comes to dustributing licensed anime series? They release either an entire series or a large chunk of episodes at once, and their costs are usually under $50 for standard 26-episode shows.

Spark Of Spirit

The market is shrinking. FUNimation seems to be the only company holding guard on doing it right.

Just be thankful these studios don't get more classic series to ruin this way.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 03, 2015, 04:06:17 PMThe market is shrinking. FUNimation seems to be the only company holding guard on doing it right.

Actually, Viz and Sentai's prices are pretty reasonable.

Lord Il

People must learn to boycott in order to protest ridiculously inflated pricing. I should stress that I don't want Aniplex USA to necessarily go belly up. It would just be great if they could be more realistic of their prices.

It's also a damn shame that PonyCanyon is following suit with the high pricing as well. I had better hopes for them when I first heard they were expanding their distribution last month.

At least FUNimation seems to continue to respect their customers by keeping prices as low as they can.
If I were to suggest anything to FUNi, it might be to consider eliminating the Blu-ray/DVD combo-packs in the future to lower prices a bit. If anyone is like me, buying these feels somewhat redundant in that one disc format never gets used.

Foggle

I think Funi only sells combo packs at this point. It does feel like a waste, but it's probably cheaper to just sell BDs and DVDs to everyone than have separate collections with only one or the other.

Daikun

Spark Of Spirit

I'm glad I buy very few anime.

Though at the very least they're pulling the licence to re-release the stuff. Kodansha took back stuff like Get Backers from Tokyopop and never even re-released it digitally. It just felt like spite at that point.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Markness

The only Aniplex product I've bought so far has been Magi and only because it was on sale through Right Stuf. Sadly the Nanatsu no Taizai anime has been snatched up by them so I gotta wait for another sale.  :el_cry:

I want to get Etotama but Pony Canyon's price is pretty crazy. Does Right Stuf ever do sales on their products?

Daikun

Quote from: Markness on February 29, 2016, 09:31:57 AMDoes Right Stuf ever do sales on their products?

You could argue that Right Stuf is always a sale. :lol:

Heck, look at their front page right now. Check out those crazy Leap Day prices!

Spark Of Spirit

QuotePresident Goto made it clear that Aniplex has had a shift in philosophy, and wants to bring their properties back home under their roof. He considers Fullmetal Alchemist to be one of Aniplex of America's greatest successes. The fact that people thought of it as a Funimation product concerned him. Aniplex of America's brand is very important to him, and Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the most important shows in Aniplex's library.
It's concerning because Funi made FMA into a hit and charged a decent price for the show in the process.

Aniplex hasn't done that yet, and they can't. Their prices are too insane. By taking back FMA, they might have just cut off its legs.

I'm just thankful there aren't any Aniplex shows I like enough to own. My list of purchases is low when it comes to anime, and because of these stunts, (not to mention their general bland efforts) not one of them is an Aniplex title.