Dragon Ball

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, August 13, 2013, 12:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Nice list! Mine would be:

10. Vegeta, Trunks, and Goten vs. Majin Buu
9. Gohan vs. Cell
8. Goku, Vegeta, Mr. Satan, and Majin Buu vs. Kid Buu
7. Goku vs. "Jackie Chun" (Master Roshi)
6. Goku vs. King Piccolo (rematch)
5. Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Tenshinhan, and Chiaotzu vs. Nappa
4. Goku, Piccolo, Gohan, and Krillin vs. Freeza
3. Goku, Gohan, Krillin, and Yajirobe vs. Vegeta
2. Goku vs. Piccolo
1. Goku vs. Tenshinhan

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great list. Dragon Ball has so many great and classic fights that pretty much any of the stuff on your list that weren't featured on mine were stuff which I still remembered and considered putting on mine.

Probably the only questionable choices on my list are Gotenks vs. Buu and Goku vs. Murasaki, but I already explained the previous one, and Goku's "fight" with Murasaki is one of the most genuinely hilarious uses of slapstick that I've ever seen in a manga. It's brilliant, IMO.

LumRanmaYasha

The Gotenks and Murasaki fights are both great. Easily two of the funniest comedy-based fights in not just DB itself, but in a battle-shonen manga in general.

Spark Of Spirit

10. Gohan Vs. Super Buu
9. Goku Vs. Krillin
8. Vegito Vs. Super Buu
7. Goku Vs. Jackie Chun
6. Nappa Vs. Gohan, Tenshinhan, Chiaotzu, Piccolo, and Krillin
5. Vegeta Vs. Goku, Gohan, Yajirobe, and Krillin
4. Goku vs. King Piccolo
3. The Ginyu Force Vs. Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, and Goku
2. Freeza Vs. Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta, Gohan, and Krillin (problems in the anime version aside)
1. Goku Vs. Tenshinhan
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great stuff, Desen! :thumbup:

Goku vs. Krillin just narrowly missed my list.

I was originally going to put Vegeito vs. Super Buu on my list as well, and the manga version of that fight was also played up to some good comedic moments. Upon looking back on it, though, I found Gotenks vs. Buu to be the better fusion battle in that regard because of how perfect the comedic timing was, but most people seem to forget about it which is why I find it to be so underrated. I feel like the anime was really off with the spot-on timing required to make much of the humor actually work.

LumRanmaYasha

Nice list, Spark! Goku vs. Krillin narrowly missed my own list, and Gohan v. Super Buu was a great moment of badass on Gohan's part (before Buu absorbed Gotenks and Piccolo and turned the tables, of course).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 24, 2015, 12:29:50 PMGohan vs. Krillin narrowly missed my own list

When did this happen? :thinkin:

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, the funny thing is that Gohan made a better best-friend to Krillin than Goku did, IMO. I mean, they were pretty tight in the early DB arcs, but after one of Piccolo's minions kills Krillin and he's resurrected later, he and Goku don't have quite the same chemistry between them, and don't even interact that much.

In the Saiyan and Namek arcs, you really get a good sense of Gohan and Krillin working together, since neither of them are incredibly strong compared to their enemies by that point in the series, and if anything Krillin has way more experience and sort of acts like a guide for Gohan while Piccolo isn't around.

LumRanmaYasha

I think that's largely a consequence of Goku doing stuff away from the bulk of the other characters in most later arcs. The characters he mostly frequented interacted with in the Z half tended to be Gohan, Piccolo, and Vegeta, with all the other characters just not being around him much most of the time. I agree I saw a stronger friendship bond between Gohan and Krillin than I do with Goku and Krillin. I felt Piccolo sort of become more of a best friend figure to Goku during the Android and Buu arcs, and by the end of the series (and in post-Buu arc placed canon anime material like the 2008 special and BOG), Vegeta seemed to take his place as that too.

Spark Of Spirit

Krillin and Gohan were a great team up to the end of Namek. That's one of the casualties of the whole "Super Saiyan only" mentality of Cell and onward was that we didn't get to see them team up anymore. Their friendship seemed like an extension of the one Goku and Krillin had before King Piccolo showed up, and gave him the guts to finally step out of Goku's shadow and become a worthy fighter in his own right.

On the plus, he's apparently the strongest human in the universe at the end of the series, but when you have all sorts of aliens completely outclassing him, it takes the wind out of the sails a bit. At least he didn't up forgotten like most of the characters from the old series did.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, technically Android 18 is the strongest Earthling by the end of the series, but just talking about pure humans, Krillin is definitely the strongest among them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, after waiting for over half a year, EmSee Squared has finally uploaded part 3 of his Dragon Ball Retrospective:

http://youtu.be/sRDT00Ehq2Y

I enjoy this series, even if I already know most of what he covers. It's just interesting to see the series covered from another fan's perspective, and you can tell that he puts a lot of effort into these videos.

I'm so glad that he brought a lot of attention to the Murasaki fight, as it's one of the funniest parts of the series, and I also like how he's been covering the filler, both in terms of what it does wrong but also what it gets right and why it's still so enjoyable.

I'm also glad that he's splitting the Red Ribbon Army arc (my favorite in the series) into multiple parts, as it's really massive in terms of both length and scope, yet deserves a thorough look through as every aspect of it is great.

LumRanmaYasha

Apparently Torashima thinks that the series should've ended with the Namek arc.

He's always been vocal about how much he hates the Android arc, so that's not really much of a surprise.  :il_hahaha:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I can certainly understand not liking the Cell stuff, myself, but I still hold the opinion that the Majin Buu arc was great in the manga, and the perfect final arc for the original run of the series.