American Horror Story

Started by Avaitor, December 07, 2011, 10:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

My god, this show...

I've been wanting to do this thread for a while. And talk about all of the good behind it. And all of the bad. And the pure evil.

But after tonight's episode, I think it'd be a lot more fun to see someone who's new to the show share their thoughts as they go through all that's aired so far. Anyone interested?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

So when does the show get good? I recall watching the second episode and getting bored after the first commercial break.

Kiddington

Well, I'm not exactly "new" to the show (I've been watching it for the entire two months its been on), but since we're here I'll share my thoughts anyway (believe it or not, I was actually thinking about making this thread myself after tonight's episode, but I see you already beat me to it).

...anyway, I love it. I've been drawn-in since Day 1, and it's just... wow. I don't even really know how to properly describe it, but it's definitely one of the most engrossing shows I've ever seem. The plot twists are incredible, and everything about it is perhaps as entertaining as it is sick and morbidly twisted. And twisted this certainly is; Constance is a cold-blooded killer (not to mention a total bitch -- really, it's any wonder she's not a ghost like everyone else), and Tate is just as fucked up and batshit insane as they come. I mean, he walks right into Larry's office and sets him on fire in tonight's episode; doesn't get any crazier than that.

I still can't believe Ryan Murphy - THE Ryan Murphy from Glee -- is actually the brains behind this madness. I can't help but tip my hat to him; this show is wonderfully demented, I must say. It's not perfect, and some things about it definitely were getting on my nerves (the constant emphasis on Violet cutting herself was really over the top, among other things), but it's still a pretty entertaining show nonetheless.

Kiddington

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 07, 2011, 10:30:29 PM
So when does the show get good? I recall watching the second episode and getting bored after the first commercial break.

A lot actually happens in the second episode -- several people are killed inside the house, among other things.

It might not be for you, but I'd say it's at least worth giving a second look. Just my opinion though.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Kiddington on December 07, 2011, 10:52:01 PM

A lot actually happens in the second episode -- several people are killed inside the house, among other things.

It might not be for you, but I'd say it's at least worth giving a second look. Just my opinion though.
Maybe something was off with me that time, because I'm watching it right now, and it's pretty good. Might need to read some recaps so I'm not lost though.

Kiddington

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 07, 2011, 10:56:05 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on December 07, 2011, 10:52:01 PM

Maybe something was off with me that time, because I'm watching it right now, and it's pretty good. Might need to read some recaps so I'm not lost though.

Yeah, if you're going to break into now, you'll definitely want to find a way to get caught up. We're only 10 episodes in, and a lot has already happened.

Avaitor

Dude, spoilers.

But yeah, I love the show too, but sometimes it gets a little too much for me. Not in that it's too scary, because it isn't, although they find a way to incorporate virtually every subgenre of horror into the show and make it all work somehow. Or that it's too graphic, although I do have to wonder how a couple of certain scenes made it past the FX censors.

I think the show just throws so many curveballs at you that it's hard to pick up the pieces. Some twists are obvious, others are very WTFish, and not in a good way. I don't really know how to describe it at the moment, but you'll see what I mean once you get into it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Haha, sorry. Spoilers removed.  :P

...and yeah, I agree; the show really isn't all that scary, when it comes right down to it. It's simply more weird than anything. So far, the only real figure in the show that I personally did find kinda scary at first was the Rubber Man, but now that we know who that is and what their motives are, the sense of mystery surrounding it is gone, and thus, not scary.

I will say, though; somehow, I feel like they're not done, and I'm still expecting something more sinister to be unearthed inside the house at some point. (probably in Season 2, I'd imagine; we've only got 2-3 episodes left this season, and the major happenings of those have already been pretty much revealed, for the most part).

Avaitor

The next installment starts tonight. Is anyone watching?

I don't think I am, unfortunately. I have a lot of shows I'm keeping up with now, not to mention that I just don't like Adam Lavine. But if you want to see Ryan Murphy throw a major 180 from Glee, check this out. This is an entirely new story, with an entirely new set of characters (only Jessica Lange and Evan Peters return from the first season, as new characters), so you won't need to catch up on that.

New blog!

Kiddington

I caught it.

...and, well, I gotta hand it to 'em; one episode in, and it's already about 20x weirder than last season. Honestly though, there was so much going on, it was a little tough to keep up with (almost too much, really). Not quite sure what to think so far.

Oh yeah, and speaking of Adam Levine...
Spoiler
if you do watch it, you'll probably enjoy the part where his arm is brutally torn off, and his character is essentially left for dead only one episode in.
[close]
:humhumhum:

Avaitor

Coven tonight.

I still haven't seen Asylum, but I'm interested. I'd say that it's not a smart idea for FX to air it at the same time Sunny and the League will be on the sister network, but eh, there might be a huge overlap in ratings.

New blog!