Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, August 20, 2013, 01:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

For a few years, I was bitter that Whedon never took advantage of his Avengers clout to get a new season of Firefly off the ground. But now, I have second thoughts about that. Especially since he would probably kill Jayne off-screen because of Adam Baldwin's politics.

Foggle

I don't think his politics extend much farther than "Trump bad, Hillary good." He's only ever had nice things to say about Adam Baldwin in recent years so I doubt he'd be stealthily excised from the show. I'd be more worried about him ruining the series with that weird rape episode he planned for the back half of season 1...

Dr. Insomniac

Apparently, Baldwin begged Whedon not to vaccinate his kids. And he was the target of one of Baldwin's angry tweets, so I'm not sure what their relationship is like now.

But Whedon's deal with recent politics is still weird, because Angel had a villain who was a clear Hillary analogue.

Avaitor

I know that Baldwin has alienated some of the cast, Morena Baccarin in particular, so I'm not sure if he'll be wanted back.

But I mean, a Firefly without Wash and Book will be weird enough. Getting rid of Jayne as well would feel even more quiet.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Honestly, I'm surprised Whedon hasn't gotten into the Netflix game yet and made a show there. A decade ago, he was looking ahead to internet-only shows with Dr. Horrible.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 15, 2017, 10:41:58 AM
But Whedon's deal with recent politics is still weird, because Angel had a villain who was a clear Hillary analogue.
I think a lot of people who were critical of the Clintons in the past became #WithHer during the last election over some weird commitment to party unity or just because they hated Trump that much. Still, to pivot from disliking them to donating over half-a-million dollars to her campaign is... extreme.

Quote from: Avaitor on May 15, 2017, 01:05:10 PM
I know that Baldwin has alienated some of the cast, Morena Baccarin in particular, so I'm not sure if he'll be wanted back.

But I mean, a Firefly without Wash and Book will be weird enough. Getting rid of Jayne as well would feel even more quiet.
As much fun as it can be, social media has done a lot to destroy friendships and the general public's opinions on many of their heroes. Between Whedon's and Baldwin's bizarre tweets, James Woods trying to sue a dead guy for insulting him, and Dan Harmon bullying a teenager over the mildest of criticism, shit can be real poisonous to both the creative process and people's appreciation of it.

And a Firefly without Wash would be so much less fun, never mind Book and Jayne (though they would, of course, be missed as well).

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 15, 2017, 07:43:53 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised Whedon hasn't gotten into the Netflix game yet and made a show there. A decade ago, he was looking ahead to internet-only shows with Dr. Horrible.
It's been a surprisingly long time since he helmed a TV series, hasn't it? (AOS doesn't count.)

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on May 15, 2017, 09:41:35 PM
It's been a surprisingly long time since he helmed a TV series, hasn't it? (AOS doesn't count.)
It's weird. He's no longer "Struggling showrunner of cult TV shows" Whedon, but "Director/writer of international box office hits" Whedon. He could pitch whatever he wanted, and Netflix would probably accept it no questions asked. And yet, it's like he completely abandoned that part of career to go and make movies like Batgirl. Which I guess makes sense from a profit standpoint, and being able to indulge himself as a comic fan, but it's still a shame.

Avaitor

I will say that if every other show can get a revival, I don't see why Firefly can't. As much as I like the Avengers movies, Whedon works better as a showrunner than film director, and I doubt that he would lose the plot as badly as Chris Carter did for X-Files.

But I'm afraid that he'll get roped into a BtVS revival instead. And while I do ultimately prefer Buffy, I don't want to see James Marsden fail to still pull off Spike, and I really don't want to see Xander and Dawn hook up or the Buffybot abortion fuck-up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It won't be a Buffy revival: it will be a reboot. Because that's easier.

And it will be really, really bad.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Avaitor

I like Rachel Bloom, and that is the worst thing ever.

New blog!

Foggle

I like most of what I've seen from Bill Nye's new show, and that is the worst thing ever.

Dr. Insomniac

Bill Nye's new show is disappointing. It's not really educational because I already know the stuff he talks about like climate change, and it's not entertaining because all of the guests he brings are annoying and offer no new insights on the subject matter of each episode. Most of the panels are just people agreeing with Bill Nye's views no questions asked instead of challenging them, which makes for boring television. And even if I agree with most of what he says, he presents it in such a condescending way that I think some viewers would hate science after watching his show. I know people find Neil Tyson annoying, but he did a better job making science entertaining with the Cosmos reboot.

And that studio audience. Some of the worst laughter I've heard in recent years.

Foggle

I'm sure taking the best moments out of context helps me not hate the new Bill Nye show. If I watched the whole thing I assume I'd hate it, from what I've heard.

Neil Tyson is only annoying on Twitter. In person and on TV he's great.

Dr. Insomniac

Which out of context clips did you watch?