A Newcomer's Perspective

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, August 26, 2013, 05:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll post my thoughts here as I continue reading the series.

Last month I finished the first 2 volumes, but I haven't gotten around to volume 3, yet.

As for volume 1, it was OK, and had some laughs, but felt a bit too disjointed. Volume 2 became a bit more cohesive and the humor started working for me a bit more. I'm expecting that the manga keeps improving the further I get into it, so I'll keep you all updated on my thoughts as I read them.

Foggle

You really need to keep reading! It only gets better, I promise. :iwata:

Micki!

I thought it was just a silly comic book at the first couple of volumes, but at volume 5-6 I really started digging it, which now makes it my favorite comic out there..!
I'm sure if you like colorful personalities and dark humor, that you'll love where it's going later on :D

Hope you stick on to the series all the way through..!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

LumRanmaYasha

Take it from someone who just started and has caught up to the current english release of the series over the course of the last few months, Excel Saga is one of the most, if not the most, HILARIOUS manga out there! The first two volumes are probably around the weakest of the purely comedy-focused ones, but from volume 3 onwards I think it's non-stop laughs, with a great plot that starts up in volume 10 and gets really focused starting in volume 16. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good this series is as you keep reading.  :)

SWamP

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 26, 2013, 05:07:37 PM
I'll post my thoughts here as I continue reading the series.

Last month I finished the first 2 volumes, but I haven't gotten around to volume 3, yet.

As for volume 1, it was OK, and had some laughs, but felt a bit too disjointed. Volume 2 became a bit more cohesive and the humor started working for me a bit more. I'm expecting that the manga keeps improving the further I get into it, so I'll keep you all updated on my thoughts as I read them.

I envy you.

Lan

Finding volumes to buy on ebay may prove extremely difficult though for those just getting into the series.

Foggle

Most of them are readily available in print, but of course volumes 7 and 8 are still out of print... thankfully, people from the US and Canada can get digital copies from http://vizmanga.com now. That service really needs to become available in all regions.

Micki!

Yeah, yes is does...
Really, let me re-buy the entire series, VIZ, I'd DO IT  :el_cry:

LumRanmaYasha

Hopefully they'll be omnibus rereleases of the manga at some point.  At least, I'd hope Excel Saga sells just enough for Viz to merit that....

Micki!

I want to see that happen, but honestly I can't imagine that for this series, it would be too great...  :srs:

Lord Il

I still try to keep an eye open for the elusive volumes 7 and 8. In the event I can actually buy a few copies at reasonable prices, I'll get them and make them available here. And I won't put ridiculous markups on them.