Eden of the East

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, August 15, 2011, 09:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I decided to re-watch this series using my brother's Netflix account. I'm watching it in English this time and I'm really enjoying it. The first time I watched it I thought it was OK and probably one of the only good anime of its year, but I didn't necessarily follow everything in it and it didn't leave any lasting impression on me. Now that I'm watching it again, I'm not sure if its just FUNimation's extremely great dub for it or the fact that I can watch it in high quality on my TV with good volume rather than just a small little laptop screen in which I had to squint to read the subtitles, but I find it to be a lot more interesting and it holds up better than I thought it would. The plot is actually handled really well and the dialogue is all actually important as a lot of stuff is addressed without the over-exposition that most other anime go for, so you have to pay close attention to what's going on or you'll miss important information. I like that the anime can be subtle and keep things intriguing while really telling the viewer a lot for those who are keeping a close eye and ear onto what's going on.

As for right now I haven't watched either of the movies, but I believe the first movie is also on Netflix so I'll be sure to watch that as soon as I'm done re-watching the TV series, and if I like it enough I'll seek out the 2nd movie on DVD (along with Summer Wars, since its about time that I watched that).

Angus

both movies on Netflix these days.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Lord Dalek

I ended up watching it fansubbed. Not because I didn't like the dub (it's good) but the unfortunate if unavoidable loss of the original Oasis op took a lot out of my enjoyment.

Lord Il

Both the complete series and a movie on Blu-ray have been staring at me in the face at HMV for months.
I've heard good things.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This seems like a good enough incentive for me to give the series a re-watch, and then finally get around to the 2 movies which I never saw. I really did like the show on my first viewing, and I love what I've seen of the English dub. Combine that with the relatively short length of this show, and that's enough to convince me that it'll be worth the short amount of time spent to give this series another go.

Angus

Yep, I think they're available both in dub and sub, so you can mix and match.  I rewatched the TV series about a month ago and then fixed up wikipedia's half-assed entry for it.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon