English Excel Saga Vol. 27

Started by Foggle, August 26, 2013, 07:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas

If anyone is curious, here are Pio and Fio as they appear at the end of Holy Brownie.

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler

Yes, that beautiful woman with the baby is Pio (better known as Il Palazzo).
And Fio is as much of a pervert in Holy Brownie as he was at the end of Excel Saga. He looks fucking fabulous with that long dark hair though.
[close]

Does anyone know of some good scanlation group that takes commissions? It would be nice if we at least somehow got the last two chapters of Holy Brownie translated.

Mas

Spoiler
By the way, earlier in this thread someone asked why Umi was a child at the end.

I assume it has something to do with Excel's godly powers. Being the ruler of the world, she wanted to make everyone happy. She "fixed" Hyatt and Elgala by turning them into normal girls. She even got Elgala to stop thinking out loud. So maybe for some reason she just thought that Umi being a little girl would be for the best? I'm not sure. I just hope Umi was okay with that.

Also, I find it cute how Mince is living together with Umi and Gojo Shiouji at the end.
[close]

Micki!

Goddamn guys, I wanna join in on these discussions, I need to read that damned book..!  :el_cry:
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Lord Il

Quote from: Mas on March 02, 2014, 03:08:28 AMDoes anyone know of some good scanlation group that takes commissions? It would be nice if we at least somehow got the last two chapters of Holy Brownie translated.
I'm also thinking about us having the Excel Saga Commemorative Book translated as well. Foggle says there's something of a plot to it. I'm more curious than ever to know what's going on. :e_shocked:
As for that interesting Pio and Fio connection, I've been busy trying to wrap my head around that one since about over a year ago when Uncreativity brought it up.

Quote from: Mas on March 02, 2014, 03:25:42 AM
Spoiler
By the way, earlier in this thread someone asked why Umi was a child at the end.

I assume it has something to do with Excel's godly powers. Being the ruler of the world, she wanted to make everyone happy. She "fixed" Hyatt and Elgala by turning them into normal girls. She even got Elgala to stop thinking out loud. So maybe for some reason she just thought that Umi being a little girl would be for the best? I'm not sure. I just hope Umi was okay with that.

Also, I find it cute how Mince is living together with Umi and Gojo Shiouji at the end.
[close]

I do agree with your theory..

Spoiler
When Excel lost her memory and came under the care of Umi Rengaya as "Teriha," she spent a lot of time with her and learned much about Umi's life and personality. After Excel started regaining fragments of her memories of who and what she was in the order of things and then went away to sort herself out, Umi left an important and positive impact on her as a friend - a character who has a childlike innocence and brought much kindness in her time of need.
I can speculate that Excel believed Umi had a certain need to have her childhood brought back by shaving some years - Possibly a deprived childhood in her younger days, she was unable to fully accept adulthood as she got older.

While I don't think it to be unusual at all for anyone to cosplay in their late teens (I believe Umi was 18), I'm thinking Rikdou was conveying something with this.. bringing attention to the reader that Umi has some amount of difficulty integrating into the adult world with her constant enjoyment of dress-up and imagination. Excel felt the need to give Umi a gift of youth in return for the gift of their friendship. In short, Excel did what she thought would ultimately make Umi the happiest.
[close]

Well... that's my two cents.

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Il on March 02, 2014, 08:55:41 PM
Quote from: Mas on March 02, 2014, 03:08:28 AMDoes anyone know of some good scanlation group that takes commissions? It would be nice if we at least somehow got the last two chapters of Holy Brownie translated.
I'm also thinking about us having the Excel Saga Commemorative Book translated as well. Foggle says there's something of a plot to it. I'm more curious than ever to know what's going on. :e_shocked:
To elaborate on this, the book starts with the first of the two bonus chapters from Young King OURs (with the characters at the hot spring), and continues from there, with everyone fantasizing about various scenarios that appear throughout the rest of the art book. It goes back and forth between Rikdo's story and these guest drawings, the former including all the stuff from the bonus chapters along with pages I've never seen before. Probably not much substantial to be honest, but there's a lot of dialogue in it.

Mas

As for that interesting Pio and Fio connection, I've been busy trying to wrap my head around that one since about over a year ago when Uncreativity brought it up.

Yeahh, and while google translating some Japanese reviews, I noticed that some people even say you shouldn't read volume 27 of Excel Saga before reading Holy Brownie. I guess the connection is that important.

Spoiler
What I'm most curious about is how it all relates to Solaria, and also who that child is in Pio's arms. I mean it's... not who I think it is, is it?
[close]

I do agree with your theory..

Spoiler
When Excel lost her memory and came under the care of Umi Rengaya as "Teriha," she spent a lot of time with her and learned much about Umi's life and personality. After Excel started regaining fragments of her memories of who and what she was in the order of things and then went away to sort herself out, Umi left an important and positive impact on her as a friend - a character who has a childlike innocence and brought much kindness in her time of need.
I can speculate that Excel believed Umi had a certain need to have her childhood brought back by shaving some years - Possibly a deprived childhood in her younger days, she was unable to fully accept adulthood as she got older.

While I don't think it to be unusual at all for anyone to cosplay in their late teens (I believe Umi was 18), I'm thinking Rikdou was conveying something with this.. bringing attention to the reader that Umi has some amount of difficulty integrating into the adult world with her constant enjoyment of dress-up and imagination. Excel felt the need to give Umi a gift of youth in return for the gift of their friendship. In short, Excel did what she thought would ultimately make Umi the happiest.
[close]

Oh! That would make sense, yeah.
I really need to reread all of Excel Saga. Those Teriha volumes are such a blur to me now.

Quote from: Foggle on March 02, 2014, 09:16:22 PM
To elaborate on this, the book starts with the first of the two bonus chapters from Young King OURs (with the characters at the hot spring), and continues from there, with everyone fantasizing about various scenarios that appear throughout the rest of the art book. It goes back and forth between Rikdo's story and these guest drawings, the former including all the stuff from the bonus chapters along with pages I've never seen before. Probably not much substantial to be honest, but there's a lot of dialogue in it.

That sounds interesting. Rikdo's dialogues are always a good thing.

Quote from: Micki! on March 02, 2014, 01:36:47 PM
Goddamn guys, I wanna join in on these discussions, I need to read that damned book..!  :el_cry:

I hope you can soon!

Inkwolf

Woot, finally read it!

I, Inkwolf, do not wish to brag, but I understood very little of it!  :el_cry:

Thank goodness I have you guys and your explanations in this thread.  :D  I am now tempted to re-read it with the knowledge of what is actually happening. Still, it was a fun read, and I enjoyed the return in the end of the crazyness and energy of the early volumes.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Micki!

I read it finally myself, it was kick-ass, weird and cryptic but all in an Excel Saga fashion, Can't complain about it being consistent I guess...
The many throwbacks to the older volumes brought a figurative tear to my eye..!

I really loved it, wish It could somehow keep going forever but that's my inner collector speaking...

I'll catch up on the discussion in this thread eventually, then we can all finally talk about it together..! Although you guys likely already covered most things already which leaves me to spectate your comments rather than join in...

And Carl's ending message was heartwarming, it really was great to see the entire series pull through with this much care put into it, without any rushing changes or *gasp* cancelling it..!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'