Favorite YouTube Channels

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, July 12, 2016, 09:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Digi's problem is that her videos used to be about anime, but now they're about her pseudopsychoanalytical introspection that makes no sense to anyone, probably including herself guessing by the amount of acid she takes. I'd say she's more like Spoony than Lindsay when it comes to overall recent behavior. Or maybe JO.

Mustang

I've known about UpUpDownDown for quite some time now, but I never bothered watching any of the videos until now. This channel shot up to one of my favorite channels out. Not to mention Austin Creed is with G4 now. But they play tons of games ranging from Spider-Man all the way to Uno (which are hilarious)

Other than that, I'm still looking for videos/podcasts that last longer than a hour so I can listen to at work. Easy Allies are beginning to get on my nerves with the constant Blood/Souls talk.
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Mustang

So as of last week, maybe 2 weeks now I've been slowly transitioning to watching Twitch. Right now my internet sucks though so watching Twitch at home is tough. I only watch at work if we have nothing going on. All fighting game folks at the moment.

I'm only subscribed to KizzieKay at the moment. Guy is legit. He will run sets with you. Give pointers. And the vibe of his chat is just overall chill.

Other that I follow Sajam, Ryan Hunter (might sub), Li Joe (might sub), Justin Wong, Maximilian Dood and Tasty Steve

When it comes to YouTube it's the same folks I watch on Twitch although I do watch Bruce Greene and Alanah Pearce for Among Us. And then there is Playstation Access and Easy Allies.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually recall liking Cry for the Children when I read it due to it's more down-to-earth character focus. I do plan on getting back to Claremont's run, which I took a break from after issue 150, but I'm hoping that the long-term storytelling he's praised for shines through the further along I go. Stuff that builds off earlier stories and character arcs to enhance the experience of later stories while also redefining and adding more context and weight to earlier material (something that One Piece does expertly now that I've re-read almost half of the manga from the start).

I do enjoy Claremont's material for the most part, but I haven't fallen in love with it yet like many others have. That may change, but we'll see.

Dr. Insomniac

Well, Lindsay Ellis announced her retirement.

I feel conflicted. She helped popularize that genre of "essayists who insist they're above brands and franchises but then regularly make half a million word essays about something like Transformers and do a ton of mental gymnastics to explain why this is totally different from a regular Transformers fan's half a million word thesis" videos which were often just "YouTuber rants about why movie bad" videos but with more padding disguised as analysis. Even in her videos I liked, there was always a part where I went "What are you on about?" that deflated whatever message the whole essay was trying to make. But I kinda feel bad even if I didn't like her work as a whole.

Avaitor

Honestly, a lot of her best work was her more personal videos, like whenever she'd go on about Phantom or Rent. Her more populist subjects, like Disney and GOT, tend to come off feeling a little more whatever.

But yeah, even though she's said plenty of dumb things during her time in the spotlight, she did not deserve the harassment she received. Especially when truly heinous people like Jeffrey Star and the Paul brothers have basically gotten off scott free in comparison.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, there are hordes of popular YouTubers who are worse but face no consequences. The influencers, the outrage milkers, the Nikocado Avocados. But I think YouTubers like Lindsay are singled out because they market themselves as better than the average content creator. For the most part, the Paul brothers know they're watched by idiots and children and shill to them accordingly, while creators like Lindsay or Contrapoints tried to push themselves as the intellectual, analytical side of YouTube. And when they market themselves as one of the pioneers of a whole genre of video essays while their content is just "I'm gonna analyze corporate properties for multiple hours, but please don't confuse me for being interested in corporate properties!", it just came off as hypocritically insufferable, especially when someone like Lindsay had enough Patreon money that she could make videos about whatever but still chose to discuss mainstream franchises regardless.

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 28, 2021, 01:34:28 PMWell, Lindsay Ellis announced her retirement.

She's back from retirement. She's not on YouTube anymore, though. She's on Nebula now, so now there's a paywall for her new videos.

https://nebula.tv/lindsayellis

Mustang

Hmm, I still do the fighting game stuff, but I don't go to everyone that I used to these days. For the most part it's usually Justin Wong, Smug, and FGC Translated to get any of the top Japanese players thoughts (Daigo, Sako, Tokido, etc) on whatever (at the moment, SF6). Other than that, Kinda Funny Games and Playstation Access are my go to's now for journalism or people that just stay in their lane (PSA stay in one lane and stay in their happy bubble and I can dig it). MightyKeef, whenever he decides to upload gets viewership from me from time to time.

Other than that, a lot of my time on Youtube these days are for listening to Lofi music or some sort of chill/relax music to relax me (it works, but my sinus fucks everything up). Music with lyrics (if it's not Gospel or old school R&B, MJ, Prince, Whitney, Mariah) I don't even bother with these days because nobody says anything noteworthy these days.

Twitch streaming, I've cut back on a lot of them too. The vibes people are giving off, like, I've been in foul moods lately and the last thing I need from man-child's is more bitching. I follow quite a few but I only watch maybe 4-5 streamers (outta of probably 20-ish streamers).

Dr. Insomniac

Not my favorite channel since I just found it, but I discovered an Orson Welles video essay that had me enthralled.