Studio Ghibli

Started by Daikun, September 01, 2013, 03:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Avaitor

He's been saying that he was planning to retire ever since Mononoke.

Then again, Miyazaki is older now, so who knows.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Il

Can't say I'm overly surprised in light of recent news. I heard something last month about him being open to a sequel to Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. What was interesting was him saying he wouldn't be personally involved in the project - That kinda shocked me since he normally has such strong involvement with much that he does.

Very much anticipating his latest and final effort, The Wind Rises.

Lord Dalek

He's actually said he'd retire twice. Once after Princess Mononoke (which he quickly recinded after his planned successor Kondo died of an aneurysm), and then after Spirited Away (which was looking fairly permanent but then he announced Howl's Moving Castle in 2003).

Ghibli's lately got a lot more people working for it now so its not surprising that Hayao is finally stepping down for real.

Lord Il

Quote from: Lord Dalek on September 01, 2013, 06:01:56 PMGhibli's lately got a lot more people working for it now so its not surprising that Hayao is finally stepping down for real.
Indeed. His confidence in Studio Ghibli must be high enough were he can now feel comfortable about announcing his actual retirement. He deserves to take things easy.
I have so much respect for this man. :worship: To see his creations makes me feel like a little kid again.

talonmalon333

He earned it with all those masterpieces.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Lord Il

Quote from: Avaitor on January 06, 2014, 01:50:44 PM
Apparently this isn't happening after all.
I know people who get close to retirement age saying they "can't wait to retire" but then refuse to stop working when the time arrives. Some people can't (won't) break free from what they enjoy doing. To break away from a certain routine can be difficult. It doesn't always become a matter of working for a salary in order to live comfortably. In Hayao Miyazaki's case, being the entertainment mogul that he is, I'm sure his combined net worth is something he need not be concerned with. Keeping busy is simply what he enjoys.

I think as long as his health stays good, he's not going anywhere.

talonmalon333

How have Miyazaki's most recent films been? I really like what I've seen of his works, but I still have some catching up to do.

Either way, it's nice to see him continuing.

Avaitor

I haven't seen The Wind Rises yet, but Howl and Ponyo are both okay. I wouldn't say they're much better then that though, but I also can't say that they aren't recommended.

New blog!

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

Well, they are allegedly shutting down production on animated feature films, at least. Here's information GWOtaku on t...z gathered on the news from a french site called Catsuka.

Studio Ghibli is stopping production of animated feature films, according to producer Toshio Suzuki on MBS channel,
But it?s not the end of Studio Ghibli.
According to my informations, they will keep a small staff for Hayao Miyazaki projects.
And also the ?Momonoma? department, which is Yoshiyuki Momose staff for production of commercials, music videos ?
Momonoma artists are already freelance, and this is the reality : most of Studio Ghibli staff today are employees, with long term contracts.
Studio Ghibli can?t pay this staff if there?s no more Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata (expensive but profitable) movies on the way.
Ghibli cost too much today, so they?re just stopping the current system.
Before Porco Rosso, Studio Ghibli staff was freelance.
They?re coming back to this previous system.
It?s a restart, like Hoshino and Suzuki said.
Now they will focus on licensing, and Ghibli Museum.
And wait for new viable projects.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on August 03, 2014, 07:14:53 PM
And now Ghibli is closing.

So...yeah, this turned out to be completely untrue. All they are doing right now is thinking about how to restructure the studio. Nothing about stopping the production of animated films, and certainly nothing about closing down. The future of Studio Ghibli is still uncertain, yes, but nothing definite has been decided yet.

Avaitor

We don't have a Ghibli thread? I know that this site doesn't have a lot of huge fans of the studio, but that's kind of surprising, and I'm too lazy to change it.

Anyway, holy shit, look at this. Crazy inclusive.

New blog!