Uncle Grandpa

Started by Mr. Big, September 03, 2013, 09:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Watching episode 2... still not a fan.

Daikun

The problem with this show is that the premise is stretched waaaaaaaaaay too thin. UG screws around with reality and somehow helps some kid with his goofy antics, and... :whuh: That's it. When you've seen one episode, you've seen the whole series.

I guess the only thing that would draw people into this show is to see the different ways UG would warp reality. Other than that, though... :??:

Lord Il

"Good mornin'!"  :e_tongue:

I guess it would seem that AR's general consensus of Uncle Grandpa is a thumbs down?

I was a bit late giving this a watch but I finally gave it an honest go this past weekend - four episodes worth. And... well..

Quote from: Daikun on September 13, 2013, 05:06:16 AM
The problem with this show is that the premise is stretched waaaaaaaaaay too thin. UG screws around with reality and somehow helps some kid with his goofy antics, and... :whuh: That's it. When you've seen one episode, you've seen the whole series.

I guess the only thing that would draw people into this show is to see the different ways UG would warp reality. Other than that, though... :??:
^This!

The show does have a certain charm with the strangeness of the characters (I enjoy strange!), but it manages to fall flat with keeping my interest up. This is the type of show I would watch if it were within a programming block of other stuff I like on CN, not something I would go out of my way to see.

What I'd very much like to know is how Uncle Grandpa keeps that huge RV fueled.
:il_hahaha:

DarthGonzo

Is this yet another brainless show featuring tons of random nonsense that bases so much of it's humor style and design aesthetic on Spongebob Squarepants...like every single cable comedy animated series of the past 10 years or so? Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, Uncle Grandpa...all this crap is starting to blur together.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: DarthGonzo on November 03, 2013, 10:43:18 AM
Is this yet another brainless show featuring tons of random nonsense that bases so much of it's humor style and design aesthetic on Spongebob Squarepants...like every single cable comedy animated series of the past 10 years or so? Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, Uncle Grandpa...all this crap is starting to blur together.

Gumball is boring, but Regular Show and Adventure Time are good.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Peanutbutter on November 11, 2013, 08:41:14 AM

Gumball is boring, but Regular Show and Adventure Time are good.

I personally think all of them are good, but none are really great. Of the lot, though, I would say Regular Show is the most consistently fun and entertaining.

hobbyfan

I haven't watched much of UG, not enough to really form an opinion, but this much I can observe. The basic design for UG looks like it was inspired by ex-MAD cartoonist Don Martin, whose
characters usually had elongated chins of ridiculous length. Find a MAD back issue or a Martin-centric TPB and you'll see what I mean.

Lord Il

Quote from: hobbyfan on November 11, 2013, 10:35:28 PMThe basic design for UG looks like it was inspired by ex-MAD cartoonist Don Martin, whose
characters usually had elongated chins of ridiculous length. Find a MAD back issue or a Martin-centric TPB and you'll see what I mean.
You may've just hit the nail on the head. The character design for Uncle Grandpa has been gnawing at my brain since first discovering it. I kept wondering why he has such a familiarity with something I already know of.. BOOM! Don Martin comics! Glad you mentioned the comparison.

hobbyfan

Quote from: Lord Il on November 12, 2013, 04:47:05 PM
Quote from: hobbyfan on November 11, 2013, 10:35:28 PMThe basic design for UG looks like it was inspired by ex-MAD cartoonist Don Martin, whose
You may've just hit the nail on the head. The character design for Uncle Grandpa has been gnawing at my brain since first discovering it. I kept wondering why he has such a familiarity with something I already know of.. BOOM! Don Martin comics! Glad you mentioned the comparison.

Glad to be of service.

Daikun

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daikun on April 06, 2016, 10:35:07 PM
It's over.

No, not quite. Its still going to air for a few more years, it just has a cap in it now. Heard rumor that Pete Browngradt wasn't happy about the news.

Daikun

CN is burning off the rest of the series throughout June.

EDIT: Then CN pulled it after a week. :happytime:

EDIT #2: Now it's back again? WTF?