Avengers Assemble: Love it or Hate it?

Started by hobbyfan, September 18, 2013, 09:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbyfan

I noticed that a thread hadn't been made for Avengers Assemble yet, four months in, so I decided to give it a shot.

The other day, I decided to take a look at an episode via On Demand, which works since Assemble airs when I'm not home on Sunday mornings. I'm usually in transit from church. Anyway.........

The episode I watched was "Blood Feud". It seemed like the continuation of an earlier episode, as Black Widow had been bitten by Dracula, and slowly turning into a vampire. I wasn't fond of the design used for Dracula. Looked too much like an undead yuppie for my tastes, what with the ponytail. Dracula's look bore closer to how Gary Oldman played him in "Bram Stoker's Dracula", more than 20 years ago. Drac & Red Skull is an alliance doomed to fail!

I reviewed the show for my blog, and gave it a B- rating, which amounts to about 2 stars or so. What do you guys think?

The Shadow Gentleman

I've only seen the pilot, and that was just kind of "meh". From what I've heard, the rest of the show is more of the same.

Foggle

I think it's awful. Better than Ultimate Spider-Man and Agents of S.M.A.S.H., though.

Silverstar

It's not Ultimate Spider-Man or Hulk and the Agents of S..M.A.S.H. bad, but the show as a whole feels kind of hollow. The producers are really trying hard to push the notion that AA is the live-action movie in animated series form, to the point where in almost every episode there's a scene where a character does something mimicking a scene from the movie: Hulk throwing or flicking somebody around, Cap busting a punching bag, Thor slamming a drinking mug onto the floor, the team eating a schwarma restaurant, etc. And why does almost every episode involve a big throwdown in the middle of Times Square? We get it, guys. You want kids to associate this show with the movie, but there's no need to force it down the audience's gullets. People will either take to the show or they won't.

Also, I'm not crazy about the show's treatment of Black Widow. Until "Blood Feud" she was almost Mary Sue competent; plus I don't like how Natasha is only a part-time Avenger, so this way the producers can fulfill their requirement of having a woman on the team without her having to actually be there all of the time.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daxdiv

Better than Ultimate Spider-Man for me. Haven't watch S.M.A.S.H yet, but I still question why the animation for AA makes me feel like I'm watching an anime with it's limited animation. That and how the P&F special pretty much treated the Marvel characters with better respect here, along with the better animation there as well than this does.

Dr. Insomniac

I'd say it's better than Ultimate Spider-Man, but that's like saying getting shot in the thigh is less painful than getting shot in the kneecap.

Spark Of Spirit

It's like Marvel wants to convince everyone that all superhero shows should be like they were pre-BTAS. In other words, when they were dumbed-down adaptions that relied on unfunny jokes to break any tension that might exist and have every character be as much of a simple stereotype as possible.

The thing is, a cheesy superhero can be done well- we already have a great example of it. But they think they're harking back to some supposed golden age of superhero shows that never actually existed. Those shows were never good, people only watched them because it was the only way to see those characters animated and off the page at the time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

hobbyfan

Blame this approach on Jeph Loeb (& 9 Stories) and Joey Quesadilla, who apparently have forgotten how cool superhero shows got in the 90's. Then again, Quesadilla never had a clue when he was an artist, forever missing deadlines........

This is what happens when you have people who think they know everything about their line of work given positions of power in a medium where they're way out of their league.

GregX

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 18, 2013, 04:00:13 PM
It's like Marvel wants to convince everyone that all superhero shows should be like they were pre-BTAS. In other words, when they were dumbed-down adaptions that relied on unfunny jokes to break any tension that might exist and have every character be as much of a simple stereotype as possible.

The thing is, a cheesy superhero can be done well- we already have a great example of it. But they think they're harking back to some supposed golden age of superhero shows that never actually existed. Those shows were never good, people only watched them because it was the only way to see those characters animated and off the page at the time.

TheVileOne does a "good job" defending these crappy shows. And trashing the more sophisticated ones.

Peanutbutter

GregX

Peanutbutter