Boy/Girl Meets World

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 02, 2011, 06:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

To be honest, I would have preferred they kept Franky around as one of their friends. He was funny, he had a good personality, and he was definitely the best non-regular character on the show. They could have continued on with Herman being Morgan's friend, at least then should could have done more, too.

Either way, it might have been better had they completely forgot him instead of bringing him back like that in the graduation episode. Franky was way funnier and better as a character when he stopped bullying.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, they did completely forget him. They just brought him back and gave him a few lines for that one graduation episode just for the sake of nostalgia rather than anything else.

I also think it would have been nice if they could have kept him around as as a friend to Cory and Shawn.

Instead they added in new characters instead, like Shawn's half-brother who I swear I believe was only added in just so that Eric could have his best friend equivalent to Cory, being that Shawn was Cory's best friend.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, they forgot Franky like they forgot Mr. Turner, and most of the other non-regular characters in season 5 like the teachers. I'm not quite sure why they did that, part of the fun was all the different characters.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 26, 2012, 10:30:58 PMInstead they added in new characters instead, like Shawn's half-brother who I swear I believe was only added in just so that Eric could have his best friend equivalent to Cory, being that Shawn was Cory's best friend.
Yeah, Jack kind of felt shoe-horned in. He had some good moments, but mostly he was a whipping boy for Shawn and a foil for Eric. I think dumb Eric and wistful Franky would have made a good team on their own if they were given the chance.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I honestly hate how much they dumbed down Eric, though. I mean, yeah he had some really funny moments, but Eric was never a "dumb" character before season 5 started. Sure, he made stupid choices sometimes and he'd act immature at times, but he had proven to be good at stuff that he put effort in and his character was surprisingly effective at delivering some of the most touching moments of the series in the first 4 seasons. So, to see him just turned into a complete idiot so abruptly in season 5 was really frustrating for me since I was a fan of his character up until the end of the 4th season.

At least they did give him some genuinely good moments in some episodes, though, like in season 6 when he brought home that orphan for Christmas, and in that episode in season 7 where he confronted Cory about completely ignoring their brotherhood for the past few years. Still, they went a bit too overboard with how they made him the dumb hyper-active guy of the group. His character honestly deserved better treatment than that, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

I agree with that. Eric was mostly a normal guy who got too excited or wound up which made him rush to do really dumb things. Most of his "dumb" comments were because he was too lazy to study.

He had some really good dumb moments in the last three seasons (the one where he tries to impress Rachel is funny because it's a ridiculous plan he cooked up in like two minutes) mostly when they remember that his excited personality and impulsiveness is what makes him do dumb things and not just because he's functionally retarded.

And when they remember that he's just a good guy, like the adoption episode. Those were good, too.

Avaitor

Yeah, as a whole, I don't like how they dumbed down Eric's character so radically near the end. But I'd be lying if I said that all of his stuff during the wedding planning episode didn't have me in stitches.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on June 26, 2012, 10:59:28 PM
Yeah, as a whole, I don't like how they dumbed down Eric's character so radically near the end. But I'd be lying if I said that all of his stuff during the wedding planning episode didn't have me in stitches.
IMO, that was completely in-character for him. He was just completely over-stretched trying to give his brother the best wedding possible that he forgot exactly how to do it right:D

It was the weird stuff like the Truman Show thing that was off to me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I have to say that Eric was hilarious during those episodes, but what I liked about him is that while he had that "dumb guy" attitude and act going on, he was actually being really clever like his old self and did some really classic Eric-like scheming with how he fixed Cory and Topanga's wedding in that fancy room that they couldn't afford by claiming that they were from a rich family. That was Eric being mischievous and hilarious but also pretty smart and a fast-thinker at the same time. So, in other words, it completely fit in with his character.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I remember this episode....I didn't like it that much. I suppose I'm just not a fan of these "alternate reality" type episodes in sitcoms like this.

Dr. Insomniac

I think that was at the point where the show tried to get away from the darkness of the sixth season, only to go straight to wacky.

Avaitor

No one pointed out the TARDIS reference?

I haven't seen this episode in years, but now that I've seen Casablanca a few (dozen) times since I last watched it, maybe I should refresh my memory.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Seems more like a Bill & Ted reference though.

Spark Of Spirit

A spin off/sequel is in the works.

If they can get a hold of the same staff as the original (or at least people as good as them), then this has potential.

Avaitor

Michael Jacobs is working on it from what I understand. idk who else.

I'm afraid that this will turn out to be another Disney Channel kidcom, just with Cory and Topanga. If so, that would really sully the legacy of the show.

New blog!