Greatest Animated Movie Ever

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, November 09, 2013, 11:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

EK, if I'm the reason you're holding over going to the next match, you might as well just start it now. I'm not going to have time to watch either movie I'm misisng for at least the next day or two.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

Lilo and Stitch
Jungle Book
The Incredibles
Ramna 1/2

The Adventures of Tintin
Return of the Joker
Wakko's Wish
Paprika

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on November 13, 2013, 11:59:14 AMEK, if I'm the reason you're holding over going to the next match, you might as well just start it now. I'm not going to have time to watch either movie I'm misisng for at least the next day or two.

I was actually holding up because I'm lazy, but your reason makes me look much better, so let's go with that one! :thumbup:

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 13, 2013, 04:17:40 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on November 13, 2013, 11:59:14 AMEK, if I'm the reason you're holding over going to the next match, you might as well just start it now. I'm not going to have time to watch either movie I'm misisng for at least the next day or two.

I was actually holding up because I'm lazy, but your reason makes me look much better, so let's go with that one! :thumbup:
Eh, I still think you should start the next match as soon as you can, cause it might take me a few days up to a week to see Paprika and Tintin. I think you have enough votes anyway.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll start it up tomorrow. I already said from beforehand that I'd leave each match up for a week, regardless.

LumRanmaYasha

It's been a week. Weren't you going to put the next set up yesterday, E-K?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Geez, I'm one day late and people start getting antsy. I'd just like to point out that the one week thing was your idea, BTW. :sly:

Lilo and Stitch- 23
The Incredibles- 30
Ranma 1/2, Nihou my Concubine- 9
The Jungle Book- 29

Paprika- 15
The Adventures of Tintin- 24
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker- 28
Animaniacs! Wakko's Wish- 13

The Incredibles, The Jungle Book, The Adventures of Tintin, and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker all move onto the next round.

Round 1:

Match 3:

DuckTales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp

vs.

Madagascar 3: World's Most Wanted

vs.

Batman: Gotham Knight

vs.

The Dark Knight Returns Part 2

Match 4:

Peter Pan

vs.

Toy Story 3

vs.

A Goofy Movie

vs.

Cats Don't Dance

My Picks:

Match 3:
Pass- I haven't seen any of these save for Gotham Knight

Match 4:
Toy Story 3- Not a huge fan of the trilogy as a whole, but I really enjoyed this last installment quite a bit
Cats Don't Dance- Underrated
A Goofy Movie- Fun
Peter Pan- Entertaining for what it is

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 16, 2013, 04:36:10 PM
Geez, I'm one day late and people start getting antsy. I'd just like to point out that the one week thing was your idea, BTW. :sly:

Yes, but you also said that you'd move on immediately once everyone voted.   ;)

But ack! I have to watch Treasure of the Lost Lamp and Cats Don't Dance, and rewatch a few of these others, before I can vote on these matches.

Avaitor

I've only seen 2 of the movies in the first round, but I honestly have a feeling that this is how my rankings would go anyway

DuckTales
Gotham Knights
Dark Knight Returns
Madgascar

Meanwhile, I have seen all 4 of the movies in the next one!

Peter Pan
Toy Story 3
A Goofy Movie
Cats Don't Dance

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Alright, covered my bases for match 3. I still need to rewatch A Goofy Movie for match 4, but I can get to that one sometime tomorrow.

Match 3:

The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 - I've never read Frank Miller's acclaimed comic, but from what I can tell, this was an excellent adaption of the source material. If anything, it's grim, "realistic" take on the consequences of Batman on the society around him, his motives, what he represents, against the political climate of a still cold war america in the late 1980's is pretty damn interesting to watch. That's not to say there aren't blunders. Ronald Reagan's depiction is one of the most unsubtle representation of a shady political leader I've seen recently, yet I can't help but be amused by it as well. While I far prefer the first film, Returns Part 2 is a good conclusion, and I enjoyed it. At the very least, it does gritty and dark Batman right, which is far more than I can say for contemporary DC comics.

Batman: Gotham Knight - Like Returns above, it does dark Batman right, and I quite enjoyed the multiple stories, animated by different studios in the flick. If the film was fresher in my mind, I might've put this first this match, tbh.

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - This film had such unfairly shitty promotion. Goddamn "Afro Circus" hid the fact this was actually a really good movie, by far the best Madagascar film, and loads of fun. Even if you didn't like the other Madagascar films (I downright loathed the second one, myself), this movie is easily one of the funnier Dreamworks flicks and it's a shame it's so unfairly judged thanks to those terrible "Afro Circus" trailers.

DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp - Just watched this for the first time today. I enjoyed it, I laughed, I loved the animation. And of course, "Shabooie!" That Genie character was a blast. I have to admit some disappointment, because I was expecting more...adventure, than just the first fifth of the film being one. The way it turned out made it feel more like an extended episode of the show to me. I thought it was a good movie, I'd watch it again if only for the first fifth of it and the Genie character (and of course the always entertaining Scrooge McDuck), but compared to the other films here, it didn't leave as much of an impression on me, personally.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Match 4

Toy Story 3 - An excellent conclusion to the Toy Story film franchise.

Peter Pan - Another classic Disney film.

Cats Don't Dance -  Never saw this before yesterday, but I thought it was a pretty great little film and a lot of fun.

A Goofy Movie - It's an alright film, but Max came off too unlikeable for me, which killed my enjoyment of it somewhat.

VLordGTZ

Match 3
Same as Cartoon X

Match 4
Toy Story 3
Peter Pan
A Goofy Movie
Cats Don't Dance

Spark Of Spirit

First the same as Avaitor

Second:

Toy Story 3
A Goofy Movie
Cats Don't Dance
Peter Pan

Great picks.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

DuckTales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp- 10
Madagascar 3: World?s Most Wanted- 6
Batman: Gotham Knight- 12
The Dark Knight Returns Part 2- 12

Peter Pan- 13
Toy Story 3- 16
A Goofy Movie- 11
Cats Don?t Dance- 10

Batman: Gotham Knight, The Dark Knight Returns Part 2, Peter Pan, and Toy Story 3 all move onto the next round.

Round 1:

Match 5:

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

vs.

The Tigger Movie

vs.

Tenchi Muyo! In Love 2

vs.

Bolt

Match 6:

The Nightmare Before Christmas

vs.

Treasure Planet

vs.

One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island

vs.

Sleeping Beauty

My Picks:

Match 5:
Pass

Match 6:

One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island- Don't let the fact that it's OP fool you. This is easily the most fucked, dark, somewhat depressing, and wickedly twisted things that has ever come out of the mostly kid-friendly One Piece series, or almost any shounen, for that matter. It's also the first feature-length film from Mamoru Hosoda (of Summer Wars fame), so if that doesn't pique anyone's interest in at least checking it out, and I don't know what will.

The Nightmare Before Christmas- It's a classic Halloween and Christmas movie in one. What more could you possibly ask for?

Treasure Planet- It's "eh."

Sleeping Beauty- A classic Disney flick, to be sure, but the 1-dimensional characters don't sit too well with me, anymore, and there's only so much that good animation can do to make a movie hold up. Also, since most of you ass-holes ranked LT so low, none of you can blame me for ranking this one lower than the other two films.