King of the Hill

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I will never understand the haters. It's not like Fox ever forced this down anyone's throat, it survived for longer than a decade despite its complete burial on the schedule on an almost weekly basis.

That it lived is a testament to its quality.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Not that I complained about it or anything, but how KOTH was one of the shows to survive at that slot at all still puzzles me to this day. I mean Futurama was sent there and it only got back thanks to Adult Swim. I remember the days KOTH got pre-empted for a football game, only for when the game would end that they would say some message like "Due to the length of today's Football game, we now return to King of the Hill. Already in Progress." or if the game went extremely long like 8:20 or something, they would give The Simpsons and everything else regular time and push everything back, even local news started at 10:20 for me on those days.

Spark Of Spirit

The show always managed to have even decent ratings when it was pre-empted by Football, even more than Futurama did. It had a pretty sizable fan-base that Fox never embraced or even tried to appeal to, even to the point that when it first went into syndication the ratings shot up tremendously for the channels it was on.

People always assumed it was some sort of boring show about nothing, but for anyone who tried to get to know it, they got a lot out of it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 15, 2012, 07:43:19 PM
I will never understand the haters. It's not like Fox ever forced this down anyone's throat, it survived for longer than a decade despite its complete burial on the schedule on an almost weekly basis.

That it lived is a testament to its quality.
Amen. It's like if a show doesn't have obvious loud comedy and explosions, people ignore it.

Kiddington

Well, it's good to see that AS is taking care of it anyway (I know a lot of people want to see 9:00 go back to CN, but IMO, I think it's a solid timeslot for KOTH). They probably appreciate it more than Fox ever has.

Eddy

I remember seeing an episode of Drawn Together where Foxxy Love went into a Hot Topic and found a King of the Hill hat and put it on. Then she said "Wow! This is almost as boring as watching the show itself!"

Drawn Together, you're one of the worst pieces of shit to ever air on TV. You have some nerve making fun of a show that trumps you in every single way.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, that joke got me laughing due to the irony.

... I'd like a King Of The Hill hat.  :)

gunswordfist

Daxdiv

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 15, 2012, 10:46:49 PM
Give me a Gribble hat.

Dale had the best hat out of any character in the show. Sorry, I liked it more than Hank's pimp hat from Tammy.

Nel_Annette

Is it just me, or does Stephen Root's voice for Bill kind of... change towards the end of the show? Something I always notice about the newer episodes is that Bill's voice seems a bit off.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Nel on August 31, 2012, 08:44:49 PM
Is it just me, or does Stephen Root's voice for Bill kind of... change towards the end of the show? Something I always notice about the newer episodes is that Bill's voice seems a bit off.
All of the voices change a bit. Dale used to sound more stoic and noncaring, Hank was a bit more brash, and et cetera.

Nel_Annette

Are those changes late into the show's life too? I know that voices can usually change in the first few seasons to the "normal voice" a character gets known for, but with Bill's it's just really noticeable to me, I suppose.

Spark Of Spirit

Stephen Root adds a lot of inflection to his voice acting of Bill. He can make Bill seem the worst and most despicable character on the show and the most sympathetic (or empathetic) character almost flawlessly. But I think your beef is that near the end of the show (the last few seasons) Bil sort of found his niche and the voice acting sort of reflected his more relaxed nature... other than relapse episodes like the wheelchair one that is.

By the way, I hadn't watched an episode in months (been a bit busy) and watched Jumpin' Crack Bass the other night while flicking through channels. I honestly don't think this show will ever get old.