King of the Hill

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Normally I wouldn't bump for something like this, but check out this amazing vid!

You can't stage stuff like that!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I thought of another discussion question (if you don't know, I said on the hack n' slash thread that I'd post these questions in random threads when I thought of them, in order to boost discussion):

What are some major qualities you guys feel that this series has going for it that other animated sitcoms can't match up to or just completely lack altogether? In other words what makes this series at the top of its particular genre of animation (obviously not everyone would necessarily agree if its the best or not, but I think most people here agree that its a top-quality series, no matter what).

Also, do you feel that there is anything about this series that other animated sitcoms could learn from to improve their quality?

This will be especially interesting for me to read responses to since in this case I'm still not all that familiar with this show whereas the rest of you guys are.

Dr. Insomniac

Consistency. Aside from a handful of episodes, the show hasn't really wavered in quality in any way.

Avaitor

One of the key things to me is just how the show was handled. I've always said that KOTH was as mature of an animated series as we could possibly get, and I still stand by that. Each of the main characters and a lot of supporting ones were defined and developed to very sharp points.

You have the adult characters which could handle older reaching situations while still maintaining some level of childhood negligence or damage in their lives, like how Hank still feels neglected by his father and relying on Buck to be his father figure, Peggy's consistent need to be recognized, Bill yearning for his glory days, and Boomhauer still living the bachelor life in his mid-40's. Then there are those moments like when Bill gives up on wishing for Lenore to come back in "Pretty, Pretty Dresses", Boomhauer's arbitrary proposal and breakdown in "Dang ol' Love", and the mini-arc partway through the series where Hank starts to accept the fact that Buck is a mess and not much better of a replacement for Cotton.

There's actual growth in these characters, but it's not a total 180 for any of them. These are still the same characters you've grown to love over the show, but a little wiser and better prepared when their weaker side gets ahead of them. That's just good character development, and not the kind a lot of animated sitcoms have in them.

I also like how the kids act like middle schoolers but are still enjoyable to older viewers. Bobby, Joseph, and Connie are as awkward as just about anyone from that age, which is sometimes both funny and painful to watch, but moreso funny IMO.

I think since KOTH is meant for older audiences than the Nick and Disney shows, it got away with more honest sentiment of what it's like to be a preteen, and has some really funny and poignant episodes based on the kids. I can't think of a TV show with better episodes focusing on puberty or a girl's first period as the ones this show did, and I severely doubt we'll see anything to compete with those in the near future, considering how narrow every other show is nowadays.

Now shows like this are meant for either younger audiences aired on networks that aren't willing to make an episode like "Naked Ambition" or older audiences that want a much raunchier version of "Naked Ambition".

And then there's the dialogue, which we've spoken plenty on. Among many other points where I'd just be repeating myself or Desen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Adding on to what Avaitor and Insommy said, I think KOTH has one thing a lot of adult shows don't and that's heart. Every character is part of this community of characters and they all contribute to the show's style and success. Outside of classic Simpsons (and I still think that might be a stretch in this case) there are no shows where every single character adds to the world in such a way and make it work nearly as well as KOTH does, and that includes one shot and minor characters as well.

It feels like a consistent world and that no matter what happens in it, the characters never manage to feel fake or artificial, they all react to situations like they should and they all are the reason the plots exist and not just the reason for jokes. But it could also only be done in animation as there's a certain cartoon logic or take on life at play here that would absolutely be lost in live action, certain jokes would not play and certain plots just wouldn't have the same impact.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

So, I seen "Racist Dawg" for the first time the other day... and woah boy, you guys weren't kidding; this episode really is terrible. I was almost half-expecting this was some big joke or something, but that probably was, by far, the worst episode of this series I've ever seen. Between the overblown villainization of Hank, and certain characters (especially Peggy) acting completely out of context, it's just... ugh. I'll be glad if I never see this one again. It actually had a couple of decent one-liners in spite of all this, but the plot and overall ass-backwards nature of this one just destroys any amount of enjoyability it may have had.

...on a more positive note, I've been catching up on the earlier episodes lately, courtesy of DVD. Season 2 is actually a lot of fun, and I really like some of these early adventures. "Snow Job" is a great episode; I love Hank's almost deadpan-like delivery on some of his one-liners. "Hell no, I'm going to open up a General Store"; the way he says this is just perfect.

Spark Of Spirit

Season 2 has a few classics in it, and as a whole its quite a great season. But you're right, a lot of the humor comes from the voice acting delivery and weird beats in animation in the first two seasons. The writing is quite good (great at times), but it takes a backseat over atmosphere here.

Racist Dawg and Mrs. Wakefield are easily the worst episodes in the series for the same reasons. I don't know exactly why they were written as the really add nothing to the show as a whole, and are quite unbearable to watch.

Angus

King of the Hill got loaded onto Netflix watch instantly.  :thumbup:
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

It's been there for a while. The whole series.

Where have you been? :P
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

chdr

Quote from: Kiddington on April 25, 2011, 12:34:08 AM
So, I seen "Racist Dawg" for the first time the other day... and woah boy, you guys weren't kidding; this episode really is terrible. I was almost half-expecting this was some big joke or something, but that probably was, by far, the worst episode of this series I've ever seen. Between the overblown villainization of Hank, and certain characters (especially Peggy) acting completely out of context, it's just... ugh. I'll be glad if I never see this one again. It actually had a couple of decent one-liners in spite of all this, but the plot and overall ass-backwards nature of this one just destroys any amount of enjoyability it may have had.

The set-up doesn't even make sense. Who immediately jumps to the conclusion "a dog is barking at me, therefore it is racist"?

Angus

D'oh, why the heck WAS it listed in "new TV series" then?

EDIT: okay, WAS, they moved it off the new TV series for Watch Instantly, but it was there along with Ally McBeal.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

Quote from: Daxdiv on February 22, 2011, 10:43:42 PM
For some reason, if I had to pick a worst episode of KOTH I think it might have to go to Mrs. Wakefield. The whole concept of that was rather... strange, and that is an understatement. To this day, I still don't understand why everyone looked down upon Hank for not allowing Wakefield to die in his own home. I know if some random person came up to my family to ask if they can die in our house, of course we would say NO!

Though, when Desensitized is done with this rundown, I would like to see a feature for the blog where he decides to highlight his Top 10 Best and Worst for KOTH.
Oh, that episode. There was an episode of The Boondocks that had a part like that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

#5 on the list.

Well deserved, IMO. A series that only gets better with age, has a high level of quality throughout, and never fails to remain engaging.

Anyone else wanna chime in on this?

pimphathank.jpg

Daxdiv

It reminds me of a thread I saw on /co/ yesterday that started off like this

>12 Years Old, Hank Hill is boring.

>22 Years Old, Hank Hill is my hero.

Which I do agree with for the most part. As I got older, Hank is actually a better character. However, my stance on Peggy has still stayed the same, once a bitch, always a bitch.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, one of my friends hates her, too. I find her overconfidence both hilarious and awesome at the same time. Something about her can do attitude is just always fun to watch, even when she clearly doesn't get it.

Though sometimes, yeah she can be a bitch.