Reddit and Memey

Started by Daikun, December 01, 2013, 06:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

So, Adult Swim is premiering its newest original series on Mondays at 10:30PM. You can watch the pilot here on YouTube.

In case you missed the 20 million promos that AS kept airing the past couple of weeks, it's about a crazy Doc Brown-esque scientist named Rick who brings his grandson on wacky adventures through time and space.

Frankly, I think this has the potential of being another reason to tune into Adult Swim every week, which has been pretty rare in recent years. I just finished watching it, and it's certainly leaps and bounds above the standard AS pilot. Can the premise manage to maintain a decent level of quality for at least a season? I guess we'll just have to see about it.

Daikun

Alright, second episode thoughts...

MUCH BETTER than the pilot. I was worried that the pilot might make an interesting single-episode premise that wouldn't carry an entire series. Turns out I was wrong. The writing is much tighter here and Rick isn't as big of a jackass as he was in the pilot.

If they can keep this up, this could be one of Adult Swim's best original series in a good long time.

Avaitor

This is Dan Harmon's new show, right?

I see ads for this on TGWTG, and it looks pretty terrible.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

King Hippo

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on December 10, 2013, 02:02:26 PM

If they can keep this up, this could be one of Adult Swim's best original series in a good long time.

Clearly someone doesn't watch Children's Hospital, NTSF:SD:SUV, and China, Il:humhumhum:

Rick and Morty is alright so far, but not that appealing to me somehow. I'll see if it improves in a few more episodes and then make my call on whether I want to invest in the show for the long haul.

Nel_Annette

I'll give you Chinal IL, but the two live action shows you mentioned are horrible. And Rick And Morty is awesome.

LumRanmaYasha

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on December 10, 2013, 03:40:59 PMClearly someone doesn't watch . . . China, Il:humhumhum:

I'd rather watch a show that doesn't hurt my eyes.

LumRanmaYasha

So you haven't actually watched it then? Alright.  ::)

Though are you sure you aren't confusing it as another Superjail? They may look kinda similar but China, Il is nothing like that show at all in terms of mood/feel and doesn't have any chaotic scenes as the former either. I also think the art design is pleasingly simple myself, but to each his own I suppose.

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on December 10, 2013, 09:29:53 PMThough are you sure you aren't confusing it as another Superjail?

Those two shows are alike? :whuh: I don't see it.

Superjail is reminiscent of the MTV cartoons of the early 90s. China, IL's designs are bland and unimaginative.

LumRanmaYasha

Hmm, yeah, I guess they aren't that alike. They've just always looked kinda similar to me, though admittedly Superjail's designs do have a "wild" feel to them while China's doesn't. Maybe it's just because I used to watch them right next to each other for a while. Anyway, I just don't find the designs of China to be that bad, and I care more about the humor/writing in the show anyway so it does it's job for me.

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on December 10, 2013, 10:04:25 PMAnyway, I just don't find the designs of China to be that bad, and I care more about the humor/writing in the show anyway so it does it's job for me.

I used to feel the same way back when Adult Swim was still young. Flash was still an experimental thing, especially for TV productions, and I was used to growing up with Hanna-Barbera on syndication and CN, so I was more forgiving to the limitations of the block back then.

However, the moment Tom Goes to the Mayor premiered, my patience started to grow thin. Flash was making improvements, yet the guys behind the block were doing very little to improve their aesthetics. It was around the time when schlock like 12 oz. Mouse and Assy McGee premiered where my patience had run out. I could no longer accept "writing over animation" as an excuse--I couldn't bear to look at these ass-ugly aesthetics anymore. If the creators behind Show X didn't make any attempts to at least make the show look in the least bit decent on the eyes, I wasn't bothering. End of story.

I'm generally a patient guy, but I was pushed past the breaking point years ago, and I'm a lot more selective on what I watch on AS nowadays.

(FYI, Superjail didn't really bother me that much.)

Nel_Annette

I guess I like China IL more because I had seen some of Brad McNeely's stuff on YouTube beforehand.

"Washington, Washington, 6 foot 7 fucking killing for fun."  :humhumhum:

Avaitor

I really hate that "GET YOUR BACK TO SCHOOL, BACK TO CHINA IL" ad.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

I saw the pilot for Rick & Morty. I didn't care for it myself. None of the characters were particularly likable. It was too mean-spirited and the story seemed to go on forever. The only bit that I chuckled at was when the bully got frozen to death. Some people on TZ have said that episode 2 was better than the pilot (which wouldn't take much, since the pilot wasn't good at all), but honestly, I'm not sure if I'm interested enough to keep watching this.

The art seems more reminiscent of something you'd see on FOX's Animation Domination.

For the record, I like China IL. It's one of the very few shows that I watch on Adult Swim, which continues to be one of the worst late night blocks on TV.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!