Dragon Ball (All Series)

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 14, 2011, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This was a shock to hear. I don't even know how to process this considering the massive impact his work has had on me since childhood. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones.

Markness

Dr. Insomniac

Mustang

Damn, I saw this earlier this morning when I was at work. I still remember seeing DBZ before it got on Cartoon Network. Before the kids block with the 90's X-Men, Spider-Man, etc on Saturdays, I remember waking up at 6am to catch DBZ on Fox. Hell, I still remember when it came on WB20 on Sundays (Rock the Dragon and Ocean Dub btw). DBZ was definitely my teenage years though.

I may be harsh on it now but it will forever be apart of me along with Chrono Trigger. RIP Akira Toriyama.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

After processing it some more, yeah, this news hits hard. It's not just that Dragon Ball was a huge part of most of our childhoods, but in many cases I'd wager almost all of us have really strong positive memories attached to it as well (for me it was watching it on weekday afternoons on Toonami with my older brother), which sticks with you regardless of how much your personal taste in stories may change over time. For my purposes I have always held a love for Toriyama's work, flaws and all, and his unique personality and comedic sensibilities were so intrinsically linked to his work, which makes his passing feel like that much more of an emotional gut punch to me.

Anyways, all I can really say is thank you so much for all of the childhood memories, Toriyama, and rest in peace.

Dr. Insomniac

Watched a few of the old DBZ movies lately. Looking at them now, there's something I really don't get. Because DBZ has plenty of years-long timeskips they could take advantage of (between the Cell and Buu sagas, between the Piccolo Jr and Raditz sagas, that 3 years of training before Gero showed up) where they can easily fill in space, but instead of that, they make all these movies that contradict the show in one way or another. And I know what I'm complaining about isn't specific to DBZ, or even to shonen shows, The fucking Thick of It does this, but it heightens how throwaway a lot of these were even though I liked a bunch of them as a kid. And it's not like any of them had a cool enough story to make it worth throwing out continuity.