Abridged Series

Started by LumRanmaYasha, December 20, 2013, 08:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I wasn't sure whether to make this in the Anime or the Web Toons subforums, but I decided that since most abridged series are anime parodies that I'd just make it here.

I can't be the only one here who watches these. For those who don't know, abridged series attempt to take a show, usually an anime, pick apart it's idiocies and humorous elements about it, mix in some various styles of humor and wit, and turn it into a viciously funny parody to be enjoyed. I think that most abridged series, unfortunately, aren't very good. They either suffer from a lack of poor, repetitive jokes, editing, or overall professionalism. The best abridged series, however, are some of the funniest things I've ever watched. The people behind them actually try to make a legitimate, professional show. They put in real time and effort, and it shows through. These abridged series stand up, quality wise, to some of the best [adult swim] originals like Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law. It's no surprise, because conceptually, abridged series are inspired by those shows, and that is especially in evident in the various homages to them in LK and Team Four Star's works. But the best abridged series really are their own thing, much like those series are. And like them, they are funny as fuck. The best part is that because they stand on their own, you don't need to have necessarily watch the originals to enjoy them. Hell, you don't even have to like the original shows themselves! The humor doesn't just stick to in-jokes and making fun of the originals; it's far broader and reinterprets the characters and plot into something wholly their own.

So what are the best abridged series? Well, here's the ones that I'm currently following:

LittleKuriboh's Yu-Gi-OH! Abridged and Naruto: The Abridged Comedy Spoof Show - The OG abridger. His abridged series are heavily inspired by classic [adult swim] humor sensibilities, and it shows. But more than that, out of all the abridged series, YGOA is so well-done and strongly written that you simply cannot be able to watch the original again. He's versions of the characters have so much more personality than the originals that it's sometimes hard to believe YGOA isn't the real Yugioh. And as for his Naruto abridged, while it isn't quite as clever, it's still fucking hilarious and so, so much more fun to watch than the actual Naruto. Overall LK is a comic genius and still creates gold episodes after all these years. It's hard to pick an episode really emblematic of his work, since there's just so many great episodes from the guy, but I think this episode is a good start.

Team Four Star's Dragonball Z Abridged, Hellsing Abridged, and Attack on Titan Abridged - Easily the most popular abridgers right now, and it's not hard to see why. Seriously, season 2 of DBZA is one of funniest things ever for me and I rewatch it regularly. Like LK, it's hard to pin down the best of their work, but I re-watched the shit out of their Episode of Bardock video, so I'll go with that.

purpleeyswtf's None Piece and Code: Ment - Focusing on random humor and spontaneity, purpleeyes keeps his videos quick, sharp, and packs so many jokes into a minute that you're left shocked at it's pace. My favorite video of his is his None Piece/Code: Ment crossover episode.

Faulerro's Nullmetal Alchemist and Danganronpa Abridged - Not as crazy as purpleeyswtf's or as sharp as LK's stuff, but rather a mixture of both those guys' styles but with a more cynical sense of humor. Really, a combination that just can't go wrong. His best video so far is probably episode 5 of Nullmetal Alchemist, though honestly all of NA is pretty even in terms of quality for me.

So, discuss and share your thoughts on these and any other abridged series you enjoy watching.

The Shadow Gentleman

:joy:

Lanipator's Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged - One of my earliest experiences with the show. Looking back, it's really amazing how Lani is able to mimic all the dub voices (expect Koenma, who sounds like Shaggy). Unfortunately, the series is stuck just before the Black Tournament and it doesn't look like it will be undated anytime soon.

Antfish's JoJo's Bizarre Adventures Abridged - (both the OVA and the 2012 series) - Again, one of my first experiences with this franchise. It actually inspired me to watch the show. Also, Antfish is a really good voice actor. I'd want him to voice at least one character if JoJo was ever dubbed.

Abridg'd Comedy's Abridge on Titan
- I honestly think this is better then TeamFourStar's effort, if only a little.

My current favorite is a toss up between Code Ment, JoJo, and Abridge on Titan.

Lord Dalek

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on December 20, 2013, 08:43:41 PMLittleKuriboh's Yu-Gi-OH! Abridged and Naruto: The Abridged Comedy Spoof Show

Team Four Star's Dragonball Z Abridged

These are the only ones I watch.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Daikun on December 20, 2013, 10:49:26 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on December 20, 2013, 08:43:41 PMLittleKuriboh's Yu-Gi-OH! Abridged and Naruto: The Abridged Comedy Spoof Show

Team Four Star's Dragonball Z Abridged

These are the only ones I watch.

Same, and a new episode of DBZ Abridged was just uploaded a few minutes back!

Dr. Insomniac

One series not mentioned here that I like is 1Kids' Pokemon 'Bridged. It mixes absurdity and structure well.

Grave

As I've stated in the other thread, I only watch DBZ: Abridged, although I may end up checking out Hellsing along with Yugioh as well. I agree that season 2 is better than season 1, but I've certainly enjoyed season 1 mainly because of Piccolo and Vegeta.

DODGE!!! gets me all the time.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Episode 40 of DBZA is up: http://youtu.be/Qe2FaWzlquM

That was the funniest episode that I've seen in a while. I'm really liking how they're handling Android 16 in this series, and I can just see the unlimited potential for comedic possibilities once Piccolo fuses with Kami, and has to deal with both him and Nail chatting it up in his head.

LumRanmaYasha

I've really been enjoying Team Four Star's episode breakdowns. How much work they put into each episode is commendable. I love how they go the extra mile to make the jokes work, adding lip flaps where there were originally none and moving scenes from all over the show into an episode if it helps the flow/scene work better. Professionalism like this is why TFS and LK tend to generally make consistently great work.

Speaking of LK, it's hard to believe the next episode of YGOA will finally end the Battle City arc. He's been on that for, like, 8 years now, so it'll be weird to finally move on to, um, whatever season 4 was about (I don't' remember). It'll be a shame to lose Marik, who is by far LK's funniest character, but I'm sure he'll make more side videos incorporating him, since the Marik/Bakura dynamic is one of the best and most iconic parts of the abridged series.

I've also been enjoying 1Kids' Pokemon Abridged. The latest episode was probably the funniest one yet, and the redub of episode two also had me in stitches. Child predator Officer Jenny is always way funnier than it should be.  :D

Oh, and has anyone else watched this abridged series based on Black Lagoon called "Dark Swamp?" I think it's great, myself.

Daikun

I really wish LK would update his Naruto series more often. :whuh: I know it's just a side-project, but I think it's funnier than his YGO series.

Also, when I made this post earlier:

QuoteThese are the only ones I watch.

I kinda forgot about one at the time. Gigguk's EvAbridged

I've been a fan of Gigguk for a long time, and when he started an abridged series of his own, his style of humor shines through here.

Due to heavy work and other projects, this series is only updated every 5 or so months. When they're ready, though, they're totally worth the wait.

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

It's too bad this is just a one-time thing, because that was pretty funny.

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This was another strong episode, IMO. The way that even this abridged series still hasn't gotten to Cell's reveal yet makes me realize just how damn slow-paced this story arc is, but they cram in plenty of great jokes to keep it entertaining the entire way through. That said, I really can't wait to see how they handle Mr. Satan's character when they finally get to that part in the series. I anticipate him even more than Cell himself, to be honest.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, not a lot happened plot-wise in this episode, but they made up for it with a lot of great humor (I love what they do with the androids' escapades, especially). But Cell'll probably show up at the end of the next episode, I reckon'. I also look forward to seeing what they do with Mr. Satan, since he's one of my favorite characters in the series.