Abridged Series

Started by LumRanmaYasha, December 20, 2013, 08:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 06, 2014, 02:41:49 PMThat said, I really can't wait to see how they handle Mr. Satan's character when they finally get to that part in the series. I anticipate him even more than Cell himself, to be honest.

I wonder if they'll use his real name or the dub name, or make jokes about both of them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can't imagine them not making jokes about his naming debacle. One the one hand, they have just gone with the English names for all of the major characters, like Krillin, Bulma, so on and so forth. But with Satan, his English name, Hercule, is so radically different from his original name in the Japanese version for a very obvious reason, and to me it seems like the perfect bait for parody.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, jokes about Satan's name are inevitable. I think it'd be funny if they ultimately didn't call him either Mr. Satan or Hercule, but rather his real name, Mark.

gunswordfist

Hehe, y'all are making me anticipate this and I've never even seen an abridged episode of anything. Why the hell was he called Mr. Satan in the first place?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 06, 2014, 07:15:22 PMHehe, y'all are making me anticipate this and I've never even seen an abridged episode of anything. Why the hell was he called Mr. Satan in the first place?

It's just part of Toriyama's theme of giving his characters silly names, most of them being puns that you wouldn't get unless you understood the original Japanese version of the names. Like, for instance, Bulma is supposed to be closer to "Blooma" in Japanese, which is a play on words for "Bloomers." Her last name is also Briefs, and everyone in her family is named after undergarments, like Trunks Briefs.

In the case of Mr. Satan, his name is just like that so that Toriyama could make his daughter's name, Videl, another silly name, which in this case is an anagram for "Devil."

Dr. Insomniac

You could say he outdoes himself with Pan, since that alludes to the bread, the mythical creature, and the flute.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 06, 2014, 07:22:47 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 06, 2014, 07:15:22 PMHehe, y'all are making me anticipate this and I've never even seen an abridged episode of anything. Why the hell was he called Mr. Satan in the first place?

It's just part of Toriyama's theme of giving his characters silly names, most of them being puns that you wouldn't get unless you understood the original Japanese version of the names. Like, for instance, Bulma is supposed to be closer to "Blooma" in Japanese, which is a play on words for "Bloomers." Her last name is also Briefs, and everyone in her family is named after undergarments, like Trunks Briefs.

In the case of Mr. Satan, his name is just like that so that Toriyama could make his daughter's name, Videl, another silly name, which in this case is an anagram for "Devil."
I already that about Trunks and Bulma. I did not know that about Videl though. It still makes no sense to me though. :D

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 06, 2014, 07:15:22 PMWhy the hell was he called Mr. Satan in the first place?

He has a devilish appearance.

gunswordfist

The Shadow Gentleman

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

DBZA episode 42 is up. I loved how they handled the scene where Kami agrees to merge with Piccolo. And Cell finally shows up!

Daikun

I loved the way that episode ended! For an abridged series, they play it out surprisingly seriously.

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha