Gliches in gaming!

Started by talonmalon333, January 19, 2011, 11:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

So we're all aware of glitches in games. Some good, some bad...

You're talking to someone who loves them. I used to adore exploiting games for glitches. My classic choices were Pokemon Red and Blue, and Ocarina of Time. Discovering the awesome bugs in these games were awesome. They're more bugged then a rotting corpse... and it's awesome!

One of my favorites of all time was the "Swordless Link" trick in Ocarina of Time. Where...

Spoiler
When you lose your sword against Ganon, save and then reset the game, and then you start off without your sword equipped. ;D
[close]

Then you got to use items on your horse, which opened up an endless list of glitches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO65sZQC7o0

Man, sometimes I miss this stuff in the new games...

Daxdiv

Obviously one of my favorites would be the Missingno glitch. Getting a lot of items for it, do you know how many times I can use hard to find TMs like Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and the like to exploit?

Also, I find the -1 world in Super Mario Bros for the NES to be quite funny to do. You're just swimming in a eternal hell.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Daxdiv on January 19, 2011, 11:33:36 PM
Obviously one of my favorites would be the Missingno glitch. Getting a lot of items for it, do you know how many times I can use hard to find TMs like Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and the like to exploit?

Rant time!

I'd say Missingno. is the single best glitch ever (though I sometimes wonder if it was put in the game on purpose). I remember using it a lot when I was young. Eventually, probably around 5 years ago, I decided to really investigate it. :P

With an unused cartridge, I caught it. Not one, but a few. I also caught M, who's supposedly even worse. From my experience, some of the rumors about them are false. They don't delete your save file, and they definitely don't destroy your cartridge. Unless I missed something, all they did was make the game buggy. Sprites were flipped, my hall of fame was a glitchy mess, and of course, I got 99 rare candies. :P

But one scary thing. Before doing this, before I even caught Missingno. and had a clean hall of fame, I decided to go find it. Afterward my hall of fame was messed up. But since I didn't save, I decided to turn the game off, taking me back to before I saw Missingno.

But my hall of fame was still destroyed. The game knew. :o

Quote from: Daxdiv on January 19, 2011, 11:33:36 PM
Also, I find the -1 world in Super Mario Bros for the NES to be quite funny to do. You're just swimming in a eternal hell.

I remember that, too. I wonder if that name had an effect on Luigi's final smash in Brawl, "Negative Zone".

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 19, 2011, 11:42:17 PM
http://kotaku.com/5635521/the-haunting-of-a-majoras-mask-cartridge

I'm counting this because you need to read it if you already haven't.

I remember that. I read that story at night, alone, with the "Ikana Canyon" music playing backward... It didn't have a good effect on my mental health. :gonk:

Definitely creepy.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As much as I love NG2 on the XBOX360, one of its main problems is that it was rushed in development and naturally has a lot of bugs that were never polished out, as in a lot of glitches. For better or worse, though, some of those glitches turn out to be pretty fun to exploit. My favorite is probably the invincibility/disappearing weapon glitch. In it Ryu's weapon turns invisible but there is also another effect in which enemy attacks don't even render as contacting him at all. It has both a positive and a negative effect. The negative is that Ryu can't use his weapon at all while in that state, and can only attack with the one move that works in that state, which is a throw that Ryu can use no matter which weapon is equipped (which is basically the only universal move in the game). In this regard, though, its still fun to use because he can totally spam the Guillotine Throw on humanoid type enemies (mainly other ninjas) and its fun to spam it to get revenge on really tough and annoying enemies like IS ninjas or archers or rocket launcher ninjas or what have you. On the other hand, it can't be overly-abused since Ryu can't attack other enemies with it, and while he can walk, jump, and run up walls while in that glitched state, he can't swim or continuously run on water like that, and will sink to the bottom of the water and walk on the bottom as if he were walking on land. that effect in itself is actually kind of positive, though, in certain areas with water mines, in which case Ryu can just run right under them and then resurface once the glitch is deactivated. Its definitely a fun glitch to experiment and toy around with.

My other favorite glitch from that game is the motionless IS ninjas glitch in Chapter 11, which is perfect for getting revenge on those explosion-spamming bastards. When you activate this glitch, the IS ninjas in a specific areas (the bridge between the 2 gates) will spawn but will be completely motionless, allowing you to practice any sort of combo on them to slice them up in any way that you want with any weapon that you want to use, all to your heart's content and your personal satisfaction. Its also a nifty way to practice some combos that you always wanted to try out on that enemy type but never got the chance to, before. Or you can just spam free UTs on them and collect the extra essence from it, in addition to having it give you a decent boost to your Karma score for the Chapter.

Commode

Haha, I remember having this topic on TZ some months ago, and in it Speedy Boris mentioned a glitch in Diddy's Kong Quest that was only present on the SNES cartridge, and apparently is bad enough to be capable of rendering the cartridge, or even the Super Nintendo console it was played on, to be unusable afterwards.  So, being the ever curious person I am, I bought another copy of the game, just so I could try it out, even though I was worried I might fuck my SNES up for good(I know I could just get another one, but this is the same SNES I've had since I was a kid).

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I played for a while, but laziness and the fact of me doing other things got in the way and I never got to the point where I could try to exploit the glitch.  Now the game as well as my SNES are back at home packed away in the closet, but nevertheless, it's still something I want to try and do someday.

Thanks Speedy for planting this glitch in my head, and potentially screwing up my beloved Super Nintendo for life. ;)
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Shit that sounds epic.

I wish I had an SNES, a copy of DKC 2 and the time to spare to try that out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on January 20, 2011, 12:34:53 AM
Haha, I remember having this topic on TZ some months ago, and in it Speedy Boris mentioned a glitch in Diddy's Kong Quest that was only present on the SNES cartridge, and apparently is bad enough to be capable of rendering the cartridge, or even the Super Nintendo console it was played on, to be unusable afterwards.  So, being the ever curious person I am, I bought another copy of the game, just so I could try it out, even though I was worried I might fuck my SNES up for good(I know I could just get another one, but this is the same SNES I've had since I was a kid).

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I played for a while, but laziness and the fact of me doing other things got in the way and I never got to the point where I could try to exploit the glitch.  Now the game as well as my SNES are back at home packed away in the closet, but nevertheless, it's still something I want to try and do someday.

Thanks Speedy for planting this glitch in my head, and potentially screwing up my beloved Super Nintendo for life. ;)

I'm not sure, can glitches really destroy a console? The only one I can imagine doing that is the level select secret in Sonic 3. Why? Well, a good reason is that it involves removing Sonic 2 and then putting Sonic 3 into the system, while Sonic 2 is on the WHOLE TIME. :P

Foggle

Clever thread title or facepalm-worthy spelling error? You decide!
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 19, 2011, 11:43:45 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on January 19, 2011, 11:42:17 PM
http://kotaku.com/5635521/the-haunting-of-a-majoras-mask-cartridge

I'm counting this because you need to read it if you already haven't.

I remember that. I read that story at night, alone, with the "Ikana Canyon" music playing backward... It didn't have a good effect on my mental health. :gonk:

Definitely creepy.
The one about the terrifying Morrowind mod is better, IMO.