Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast  (Read 60994 times)

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast
« Reply #1725 on: October 10, 2017, 05:25:29 PM »
I haven't been all that into Ys stories after the first three games when the original creators left (to form Quintet, natch) for the reason that they became pretty generic, especially after IV. The first few games have a lot of mystique and mystery to the world and lore, and later games just kind of dump it all on to you in order to save the world against something that comes out of nowhere. And it always involves the land's ancient god or whatever instead of keeping it related to the story you've been involved in since the beginning of the game.

I'm glad the game is otherwise great. The combat and exploration is always top notch in Ys, and that's really what I come for. I just wish we could have a story as engaging as the early games were again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

• Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree
    • Email
« Reply #1726 on: October 10, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
Story was never the most important thing in Ys, but it was jarring in this game to just see it go the usual JRPG route and have you kill a god to save the world. Not even a region, this time, but the entire planet. On this tiny deserted island in the middle of the sea (I assume it's the same Mediterranean Sea stand-in that the Canaan Islands are in).

The other subplots are really fun. Murder mysteries, ghost ships, finding the missing castaways, the dinosaur stuff (localization keeps calling them Ancient Species; it's stupid), exploring Dana's past and trying to find out how her ancient civilization died out, it's all great. It's why I wish the ending had stuck with that deserted mysterious island theme.

Speaking of the localization, it seems NIS got a lot of complaints and is going to update it.

Foggle

• The dude who runs this joint, more or less
  • The Epic Trinity
  • Slave To The System
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • Email
« Reply #1727 on: October 15, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »
Got The Evil Within 2. It's a lot better than I expected but almost completely different from the first one. There are many superficial similarities but despite being basically the same on paper its mechanics function much differently from the original. At first this threw me off as well as frustrated and disappointed me but the more I play it the more I love it. Like the first game, this one doesn't really put its best foot forward (in fact it seriously doubles down on the early cinematic walking simulator stuff) but it gets super good once you hit chapter 3. The "open world" is more like a bunch of small but dense hubs and they're a lot of fun to explore. Certain gameplay elements are locked behind the upgrade system early on which sucks, and I wish they hadn't got rid of matches or toned down the trap placement, but this is way more of an actual survival horror game now. While TEW was basically Resident Evil 4 Part 2, this one carves out its own little niche and feels like something entirely new and unique. It's also hard as hell on the recommended difficulty setting (Nightmare). Recommended!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #1728 on: October 15, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
I still need to play the first TEW before I can get to this one, but I really do want to get to it. I had planned to play through the RE Origins Collection thus month but it doesn't look like that will be happening after all. The final Nioh DLC took me longer to complete than expected, and I still have both Metro games to play through in addition to getting back into Bloodborne.

By the time I get done with those it'll probably be next year. My gaming progress is pretty slow these days due to my divided attention with work, life in general, and other forms of entertainment. But I do still really want to play TEW and the sequel.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:20:19 PM by Dr. Ensatsu-ken »

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #1729 on: October 15, 2017, 08:01:43 PM »
Finally played Cuphead and beat the first world. Excellent game and well worth the acclaim. Just wish I didn't have to play it with a crap d-pad.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

• Elite Beat Agents
  • Slave To The System
    • Email
« Reply #1730 on: October 15, 2017, 10:16:30 PM »
Xbox 360?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #1731 on: October 15, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
My friend had a steam controller. It made me jump randomly when I'd push up. Lot of frustrating deaths.

But the game was still worth it.