Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast  (Read 64142 times)

Mustang

• Magic School Bus
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast
« Reply #1755 on: December 06, 2017, 04:12:41 PM »
So my brother-in-law is coming to town in about 2 weeks so all other games don't exist to me right now unless DMC5 gets announced. That being said, it's Street Fighter time. This time we'll probably bounced between 3rd Strike and USF4, but probably end up focusing more on 3rd Strike. I'll probably talk him into USF4, but at the same time I'm also gonna get some SF5 playtime as well (probably do ranked or battle lounge)
SF5 - Karin, Laura, Juri, R. Mika, Guile, Bison, Urien, Nash

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #1756 on: December 06, 2017, 09:18:11 PM »
I defeated Martyr Logarius and met Queen Annalise in Bloodborne. Literally the only thing that I dislike about Caihurst as a level is the run back to the boss. I think I actually spent more time running back to fight him than on the actual fight itself. It's a shame too because the boss himself is interesting, but having a two-to-three minute obstacle course standing in my way to get back to him makes it a lot more frustrating than it needs to be to fight him on subsequent attempts.

The boss himself is quite interesting. Any boss that emphasizes good parry skills is worth fighting in my eyes. That said I actually found his first phase to be the hardest to deal with by my play-style. He loves to spam arcane attacks which are easy enough to avoid if you keep a relative distance from him and only chip away at his health with one or two hits at a time when he leaves himself open to attack for a brief window of time. However, that requires a degree of patience that I iust don't have, and thus I often went in to attack him with wreckless abandon in order to get him to the next phase and ended up taking a lot more damage than I needed to. The rest of the fight is pretty fun, though, once you get decent with timing your parries against him. My only gripe here is when he sometimes starts spamming his summoned swords to attack you. Taking out the sword that he stabs into the ground can be annoying at times when the lock-on is acting finicky and keeps targeting him instead of the sword.

Overall, though, that one gripe aside, Cainhurst is my favorite level in the game up to this point. In case you're curious, The Forbidden Woods is my least favorite so far. Too long and drab for my tastes. I do like the boss fight, though, which is another one that emphasizes parrying.

Mustang

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #1757 on: December 16, 2017, 02:55:08 AM »
Just curious if anyone has ever played Nidhog? Daigo vs Tokido. I was mentally taking notes throughout the video because of how good the spacing was between the 2, and I want to try to implement the level of spacing here into my Street Fighter game. I'm ok with counter poking with Dudley but after that, that's it.

Mustang

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #1758 on: December 28, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »
Sort of went back to playing Nioh, but I almost decided to get rid of it along with Nier Automata and my whole backlog (pretty shitty month, let alone holiday), but after calming down a bit I just need to get my hands on some money and a Switch so I can play Zelda (until then, nothing else really matters unless it's Street Fighter).

So as of now, I'm looking into getting Yakuza Kiwami and possibly Yakuza 0. Also been thinking about getting a 3DS, but not entirely sure on that one either. Basically been watching videos of Zelda, Street Fighter 3 and 5.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1759 on: December 28, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »
I myself have encountered the problem of playing or wanting to play so many ARPGs back-to-back. I only have a limited amount of hours that I can play per week, so it literally takes me at least a month or more to get through a game like Nioh, Bloodborne, or Nier: Automata. Tack onto that wanting to play some Persona, Yakuza, and Zelda as well, and you basically take away most of my free time. Simply put I just can't keep up with this genre, which is why the shorter but more replayable character action game set-up is much more up my alley these days as opposed to life before acquiring a full-time job or attending college. Fighting games are also preferable since I can play those in short bursts while still feeling like I didn't completely waste my time unless I sunk several hours into them in just a single span.

Mustang

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #1760 on: December 29, 2017, 10:45:12 AM »
Yeah, I feel you. For me I've had roughly a week and a half off (I go back to work Tuesday) and while I wanted to spend most of that time playing games it's just been personal issues/drama since I've been off and none of the games I have would've gotten me out of my slump. I mean I'm good now, but at the time I definitely could've been better if I had something like Zelda or a Shenmue. I avoided fighting games because they would've set me off (I was not in the right state of mind to play those)

But I don't want to bore anyone about my melodrama.

Sort of a year in review.

Mass Effect Andromeda was what started my gaming funk earlier this year. I wanted this game to be so good but it was plagued with so many issues that I couldn't help but ignore the game altogether. I blame EA. Bioware need to bust a Kojima and dip. I am very worried about Anthem at this point, especially with all this lootboxing fiasco. Edit: I take it back. I am no longer looking forward to Anthem. Had no idea they were going in the same direction as Destiny.

I have a lot of respect for Horizon and Nier Automata and after trying them out they're not for me. To be honest, Horizon, while it looked good from the start I was never into the whole hunting/survival thing (despite them being machines). Nier on the other hand, for some reason I just couldn't click with it. It might've been my patience or the drama I was going through at the time. Right now neither game is for me, but I might revisit them some time down the line.

Gravity Rush 2 is another game I have a lot of respect for and much like Nier Automata I couldn't click with it.

Persona 5 is my GOTY. I don't want to sound like a broken record, so all I'll say is that it pulled me out of my gaming slump earlier this year.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on Breath of the Wild (of course) and Mario Odyssey, and perhaps Fire Emblem Warriors.

Overall I'd say this was a solid year for gamers, but me personally, not so much and most of it started with Mass Effect not being good and the FGC (lets just say they sort of killed my interest in games a bit).

2018 is looking more like a year for me though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:04:11 PM by Mustang »

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1761 on: December 30, 2017, 11:19:19 PM »
So, I picked up Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator and Yakuza 0 on sale today. With GGXR I wanted something to serve as a go-to fighting game for me until DBFZ is released and it made sense to go with an ASW game in this case.

As for Yakuza 0 I've been meaning to get into it for a while now. That said, I picked it up because it was at half price, however I won't be starting it until after I beat Bloodborne.

Mustang

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #1762 on: December 31, 2017, 02:42:20 PM »
So, I picked up Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator and Yakuza 0 on sale today. With GGXR I wanted something to serve as a go-to fighting game for me until DBFZ is released and it made sense to go with an ASW game in this case.

As for Yakuza 0 I've been meaning to get into it for a while now. That said, I picked it up because it was at half price, however I won't be starting it until after I beat Bloodborne.

Make sure you upgrade to Rev 2 if you're looking to dabble to play against people online in. There's been a couple of patches that's been released since Rev1.

I'm also looking into picking up Yakuza 0 along with Kiwami perhaps next pay check. (I'll look into getting a Switch come tax time).

In the meantime, Nioh, lots of fun, but I keep on panicking against these big demons and getting myself killed lol. Growing pains if you will. I'll get over it eventually, but it's pretty learning from my mistakes. Nothing rage inducing because its been all on me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1763 on: December 31, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »
I would've picked up Rev 2, but I just happened to see a used copy of Rev 1 at Gamestop on sale for $3 since the store was having a clearance sale on used games to clear up shelf space, so I just couldn't resist at that good of a price.

As for Nioh, how far along are you so far? As for big enemies, most of them are pretty simple once you get their attack patterns down. The Raven Tengu from later on in the game, though, as well as the bearded Oni from the DLC can be quite vicious to new players since they're designed to punish sloppy gameplay.

Mustang

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #1764 on: December 31, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
Not far. Just beat the 1st level boss that keep throwing his balls at me. Died at least a good 7 times trying to be cute or not realizing that he wasn't done attacking.

Nel_Annette

• Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree
    • Email
« Reply #1765 on: December 31, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »
I'm replaying Breath Of The Wild, the difference being that this time is on Switch and now I have the DLC. I have to say, getting Majora's Mask right after the tutorial part reeaaally trivializes some parts of the game.

First time trying to get to Zora's Domain on Wii U: "OH GOD THIS SUCKS WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE THUNDER ARROWS OH GOD NO"
Second time on Switch with Majora's Mask equipped: "?La la laaaa, skipping through the meadows!? Why hello, Lizalfos, don't mind me, I'm just having a merry stroll through Zora country."

Trial of the Sword is kicking my ass though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1766 on: January 06, 2018, 10:15:14 PM »
Just defeated The One Reborn in Bloodborne after resuming the game since yet another hiatus; I imagine I'll finish it sometime by the next console generation, at this rate. :humhumhum:

I remember watching TS17 play through this fight a couple of years ago in his walkthrough of it, which is why I knew to use the Blood Beast Pellets in this one. This was my first time using them in the entire game, and after this fight, I don't think that I'll ever use them again because holy fuck are they ridiculously overpowered. In truth, I used one, and ended up killing the boss on my first try before I even realized it. The damage output was ridiculous, and while I could totally see this being great for BL4 runs where everything one-shots you and you do shit damage without them, it's just far too broken for a normal run, IMO.

Mustang

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #1767 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »
Oh Capcom, I wish you didn't let Combofiend walk away so he can tell you that you over nerfed a lot of characters in Street Fighter 5. Now all the fun looks like its been zapped out of it. I mean, I don't want to jump the gun but I don't want to see a match keep resetting to neutral. If a character specializes in rush down then let them rush down. If they get punished for over committing then that should be on the player. My hype for Cody being here is dwindling.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #1768 on: January 13, 2018, 09:11:04 PM »
Just completed Upper Cathedral Ward in Bloodborne, which was surprisingly short and relatively easy for such a late area in the game. That said, is it just me or was Miyazaki really paying heavy homage to Resident Evil with the central area of this level? As soon as I stepped into that room with the symmetrical curved staircases and overhead giant chandalier, an image of the Spencer Mansion is the first thing that popped into my head. And if that's not enough, he even has the "beast dog" crashing through the window jump scare moment.

**Ponders**....:thinkin:....Incidentally, it just occurred to me that Miyazaki might be capable of making a legitimately great Resident Evil game, if Capcom ever wanted to outsource the game to an actually capable third-party developer. Just food for thought.

Mustang

• Magic School Bus
« Reply #1769 on: January 14, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »
Nioh
Can't decide if I want single sword and dual swords or single sword and tonfas. I know for sure I'll definitely try out tonfas and dual swords together in any case, I finally beat the first boss without a game over. I know for sure that I'm not looking forward to the 2nd stage. Walls and chests as enemies are "ugh" and I know for sure that I'm gonna get bodied by the boss. So not looking forward to fighting her lol. Having a blast though. Probably will be in my top 5 favorite games.

Also playing this yugioh (guilty pleasure) game that I bought on psn. It's too bad they didn't put anything into the game since this could've easily been a tag force style of game. You're just playing through yugioh's story starting with Duelist Kingdon and bits of the last one with Pendulum summoning.