Anime Adaptations That You Want To See (And Will Probably Never Happen)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, March 12, 2014, 11:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I always forget about Yawara. Probably because it's only an average show and manga.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great list! I pretty much agree with all of those.

As for FMP, it's basically just a big slap in the face. The novels are popular in Japan, and the series is still very relevant because of the spin-off series that is still running, in addition to a recent manga reboot. The reason we don't have one is simply because KyoAni doesn't make serious action or drama shows anymore. They have Otaku to pander to instead. Why do you think that ABP got an adaptation in place of FMP's latter main story LN s? Because it fit their current profile and image, and FMP does not. It's as simple as that.

Slam Dunk always baffled me. It's still one of the 5 mist popular Jump manga in modern reader poles. Clearly the interest is still there. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like easy money to me.

While I do agree with SJG, I actually believe that the numerous pointless, mediocre spin-offs have actually hurt the reputation of the series, and SJG is probably a bit too old-school for the modern anime-watching crowd.

In terms of Pluto, it's just like how I'm pretty astonished that 20th Century Boys hasn't been made into an anime. They are both still fairly popular in Japan.

I would have loved an Outlaw Star season 2, but that ship has clearly sailed. The show was a huge hit on CN, and had The Big O season 2, Zoids: Fuzors, and IGPX actually done well, CN probably would've followed suit and purchased a new season specifically for North American viewers, since the show was never really popular in Japan. But, on the other hand, 2 of those shows utterly sucked, so maybe we managed to dodge a bullet there.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 17, 2015, 11:58:44 PM

While I do agree with SJG, I actually believe that the numerous pointless, mediocre spin-offs have actually hurt the reputation of the series, and SJG is probably a bit too old-school for the modern anime-watching crowd.

I don't think the GTO spin-offs are actually that unpopular in Japan, or even among most western fans, for some reason, which is why they continue to be made. Fujisawa himself is quite prolific and has quite a few series (including non-GTO related ones) currently running, even though they are all pretty mediocre...at best.

Spark Of Spirit

Thanks for the comments! Since older series like Parasyte and Level E can get adaptions I suppose anything is possible, but I'm not holding my breath for any of them. It would be nice if they were made, however.

Quote from: Cartoon X on February 18, 2015, 12:03:08 AM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 17, 2015, 11:58:44 PM

I don't think the GTO spin-offs are actually that unpopular in Japan, or even among most western fans, for some reason, which is why they continue to be made. Fujisawa himself is quite prolific and has quite a few series (including non-GTO related ones) currently running, even though they are all pretty mediocre...at best.
Yeah, unfortunately SJG and GTO are still his best works. It is a real shame that SJG doesn't get the attention it deserves. It's a shame that he has fallen so hard into formula, because those series shows he is capable of much more.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

wonderful list, spark! outlaw star, rurouni kenshin and trigun maximum are in my top 10 as well. i'd also want:

All of Grappler Baki animated. The main villain fights Muhammed Ali Jr. and a wooly mammoth. Why is this not on my tv yet?

Lady Snowblood, Lone Wolf And Cub and Samurai Executioner. Why? Because Kazuo Koike is awesome. LS and LWAC did get live action adaptations and went on to influence the great Kill Bill movies and Samurai Champloo respectively so these two would be a the bottom of my list since they at least already got something. Samurai Executioner? Nothing, as far as i know. So it's top 5 for me.

Big O season 2. Yeah, i know, shut up.

Heat Guy J season 2. I want to see where Daisuke adventure outside of Judoh takes him.

S-cry-ed. i want know more about The Other Side from another season.

And that's my top ten.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Anime! Anime!'s annual poll of manga people want to see adapted into anime came out. This year's results were pretty interesting:

QuoteTop 10 Completed Manga People Want to Receive an Anime Adaptation

1. Sesuji wo Pin! to ~Shikak? Ky?gi Dance-bu e Y?koso~ by Takuma Yokota
2. Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam by Yoshiyuki Tomino, Y?ichi Hasegawa
3. Karakuri Circus by Kazuhiro Fujita
4. Yandere Kanojo by Shinobi
5. Psyren by Toshiaki Iwashiro
6. Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation by Yoshiyuki Nishi
7. Tonari no Kashiwagi-sa by Kinusa Shimotsuki
8. Kodoku no Gourmet by Masayuki Kusumi, Jiro Taniguchi
9. M×0 by Yasuhiro Kano
10. Soul Catcher(s) by Hideo Shinkai

Top 10 Incomplete Manga People Want to Receive an Anime Adaptation

1. Karakai J?zu no Takagi-san by S?ichir? Yamamoto
2. Delicious in Dungeon by Ry?ko Kui
3. Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store by Hashimoto, Matsukoma
4. Kono Oto Tomare! by Amy?
5.  Oresama Teacher by Izumi Tsubaki
6. Yotsuba&! by Kiyohiko Azuma
7. Grand Blue by Kenji Inoue, Kimitake Yoshioka
8. Cells at Work! by Akane Shimizu
9. The Promised Neverland by Kaiu Shirai, Posuka Demizu
10. Rengoku ni Warau by Kemuri Karakara

Straighten Up! ranking at #1 is a real surprise but gives me hope that even though the series ended recently it might still be viable to give it an anime treatment. After all, they could probably do it in one two-cour season. But I'd love to see all of the choices in the completed manga list animated, especially Karakuri Circus, because frankly we have more chance of getting more of Fujita's works as anime than his manga ever being licensed.

For the incomplete list, I'd definitely be excited to see anime of Delicious in Dungeon, Cells at Work, and of course The Promised Neverland, which among these ten has the best chance of getting an anime in the next two years or so. Yotsuba&! is a series which I'd love to see animated in theory, but a part of me feels it has a Calvin & Hobbes-esque quality that would be lost if ever adapted to another medium and I know Azuma has rejected proposals for it being animated for that very reason so I wouldn't mind if it never happens.

Hopefully some of these get animated in the next few years. Sakamoto topped the 2015 list way back and got an anime announced not soon after, so who knows!

Spark Of Spirit

Karakuri Circus was unexpected. I guess after Ushio & Tora people really want more Fujita. Can't say I blame them.

I'm very surprised at seeing Straighten Up, Psyren, MxO, Muhyo & Ryoji, and Soul Catcher(s) up there, but I guess they have managed to retain their cult followings. Their inclusion is honestly the most shocking thing here. Really hope more of these older series get a chance at an adaption in the future.

But yeah, in the incomplete one it's mostly series that will get an adaption sooner or later. Not much unexpected here. I would have had Souboutei up there as well just to drive the point home. More Fujita!

Spark Of Spirit

I think if I did a list now, it would probably be much different.

Though twisting a bit on the topic title, some of these might actually have a chance!

1. Karakuri Circus

Self-explanatory. MAPPA and Nishimura need to get on this ASAP. As far as how it can be done, well, that's the question. It's his longest series at 43 volumes, but if Ushio & Tora can condense 33 volumes into a 39 episode show then they should be able to do the same with KC and maybe give it 4 cours instead. Ushio & Tora was a surprising success, so hopefully it can get the support it needs. This is my most wanted anime by far.

2. Rurouni Kenshin: Revenge Arc

This might actually happen now. With the new manga starting and the series being as popular as ever, there is a good chance RK might either get a new adaption, or just have the Revenge arc given its own season. Hey, D Grayman and Blue Exorcist got it! Of course they could potentially skip it entirely for a new anime of the new manga later, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

3. Vinland Saga

Someone. Come on, already. 24-26 episodes. Adapt the Prologue and Ketil Farm into one narrative string weaving back and forth. The manga is popular in Japan. The anime would help tremendously overseas. How has this not been done yet?

4. Today it's My Turn! (Kyo Kara Ore Wa!)

It's hilarious, it's well known, and it has never been fully adapted. That said, it might be hard to beat the animation in the old anime. Still, I'd like to see it given a shot.

5. Slayers: The rest of the light novels

Like, finish it. How has this not been done yet? Slayers is not an unknown series. Just wrap it up.

6. Psyren

If there's a canceled too soon Jump series I'd like to see get a shot at being animated, it's this one. Flesh the last arc out and you can probably get it done in about 4 cours.

7. Flame of Recca: The last two arcs

I'll take just pulling a Blue Exorcist and ignoring the ending of the original anime at this point. I just want to see the last two arcs (especially the SODOM arc) animated. And please, please, please don't let Pierrot anywhere near it. Please.

8. Rokudenashi Blues

Japan doesn't seem to like running series about delinquents in anime, unfortunately. So this, like Today it's My Turn, will probably never get a full adaption. Unfortunate, since I really liked what I read.

9. The Weathering Continent

This only got a (not very good) movie back in the day, but the series is much longer than that. I'm not sure how good it would be, but I'd sure like to see someone try.

10. Kotaro Makaritoru

For a series that ran for so long, it's surprising it has NEVER gotten any anime. It's a silly action comedy series that lasted 59 volumes, but it had 7 proper story arcs. An anime could simply adapt those and put out a full story. It has side stories and sequels, but really, this would be enough. Kind of surprised Weekly Magazine never gave it an anime. I'm pretty sure it could be done now.

Anyway, that's my list I just threw together. 10 anime I'd be really excited to see if they were ever announced, but have low chances. I guess we'll see in the next few years. When we started this thread, the old adaption trend hadn't started yet. So maybe these do have a shot. No way to know until it happens.

Pharass

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 12, 2014, 11:49:04 PM
I want to see a historical anime about Nobunaga. No robots, gender flips, or any of that shit that's plagued previous Nobunaga anime. What does it say when Hyouge Mono was the closest to getting it right? What I want to see is something like I, Claudius, where we see the trials Nobunaga goes through as he eventually becomes a warlord.

You know, it honestly surprises me that something like that hasn't been done before (at least not to my knowledge). One would hink that the life of Nobunaga would be an interesting enough topic for an anime without the need for gimmicks.
As for my contribution to this thread (unless its been mentioned and I missed it): A full-length series adaption of the Nausicaä manga is something I've wanted ever since I first read it.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Daxdiv

tfw I will never experience an Animal Land anime adaptation in my life. WHY EVEN LIVE? I just want to see a Makoto Raiku anime not get screwed over. Provided, I guess it's obscurity could hurt it.

LumRanmaYasha

I pretty much agree with all the ones you've listed Spark. Especially Slayers. My guess is that they never adapted the rest of the light novels because Amelia and Zelgadis aren't in them, and they didn't want to make a new Slayers anime without them, which is why they opted instead to create an original story with Try and then re-work parts of the story they either didn't or only loosely adapted before with Revolution & Evolution-R. But I just want more Slayers dammit, and I was really bummed they missed their opportunity to do more when the series had it's 25th anniversary last year. Hopefully we'll see a revival one of these days. I particularly want more Slayers Special adaptations, to be honest. The comedic combination that is Lina and Naga just can't be beat!

Quote from: Daxdiv on March 14, 2017, 09:08:31 AM
tfw I will never experience an Animal Land anime adaptation in my life. WHY EVEN LIVE? I just want to see a Makoto Raiku anime not get screwed over. Provided, I guess it's obscurity could hurt it.

I know the feeling man. Though, I can understand why it's never happened. Animal Land is an incredibly detailed manga with lots of hard-to-animate character designs and highly-detailed animal characters, especially the giant ones, and some crazy group fight scenes involving dozens to hundreds of characters. It would take a lot of time and effort to animate properly, and for a series that isn't hugely popular, I can understand why no studio would be willing to take on such a project. Even though it could all be done with 26 episodes, it really would take the same amount of prep time that Attack on Titan season two has had to do the manga justice.

VLordGTZ

Great list Spark! A Slayers Part II adaption is easily my most wanted anime sequel.  Personally, I think J.C. Staff should have adapted that material instead of creating Revolution/Evolution-R.  The Slayers anime was never a 100% faithful adaption, so there was nothing stopping them from adding Amelia and Zelgadis to the Part II content if they needed some form of "nostalgia".  While Luke and Millina are technically replacements for them, their personalities (from I've read of Part II) are different enough that they could definitely co-exist within the same cast.  I honestly hope that they decide to go this route if the opportunity for a new Slayers anime ever arises.

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on March 14, 2017, 11:09:29 AM
Quote from: Daxdiv on March 14, 2017, 09:08:31 AM

I know the feeling man. Though, I can understand why it's never happened. Animal Land is an incredibly detailed manga with lots of hard-to-animate character designs and highly-detailed animal characters, especially the giant ones, and some crazy group fight scenes involving dozens to hundreds of characters. It would take a lot of time and effort to animate properly, and for a series that isn't hugely popular, I can understand why no studio would be willing to take on such a project. Even though it could all be done with 26 episodes, it really would take the same amount of prep time that Attack on Titan season two has had to do the manga justice.

It's a really shame that Animal Land never got an anime, especially since it was about as popular as Attack on Titan in Bessatsu Shonen Magazine prior to it getting an anime.  If a studio had given it a chance, I could have been very successful, but the ship has sailed on that sadly.  I'm not sure how well Makoto Raiku's new series, Vector Ball, has been doing in WSM but I hope that it has a chance of getting an anime down the line.  The art isn't as detailed as Animal Land due to being weekly, so studios might be less intimidated to adapt it.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not expecting a 1:1 adaption of the rest of the Slayers stuff, just, you know, finishing the story as a whole. The series is still popular, people still like it, so why not make more of it? Seems silly that they haven't. And yeah, Amelia and Zelgadis are really popular, so they probably would put them in it, but if they're not I think most would deal with it. Finishing the story is something that should happen.

Vector Ball has been doing decently so far, nothing amazing yet. But it also is pretty new. If it gets an anime, it will depend on how Kodansha pushes it. I would just wonder if we'll ever get the manga over here. They still haven't finished Animal Land for crying out loud.