Everything you think is right or wrong in the today's world of animation.

Started by gunswordfist, March 14, 2014, 08:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

gunswordfist

Yeah, maybe everything is too strong of a word. Some things is good enough as well. ;)

Avaitor

Wrong- Not enough original ideas for series today. Even though I've been sleeping on the CN orignals, at least shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe have unique atmospheres and jokes.

Right- H. Jon Benjamin's voice
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

Wrong:

-There are far too many animated shows centering on clueless party dudes and too many "booger eating boy" shows in general.

-Almost no shows with female protagonists outside of preschool shows.

-Too many animated sitcoms about dysfunctional families.

-Adult Swim, aka the FOX animated comedy hour, takes the 8 PM hour from Cartoon Network.

-Superman doesn't have an animated series, or a video game that doesn't suck.

-Wonder Woman doesn't have an animated series or a solo live action movie .

-The idee fixee that an animated series can only focus on Caucasian males.

-Friday and Saturday nights, which used to be special occasions on cartoon channels, are now dead air.

-Teen Titans GO! 'Nuff said.

-There are 2 major Disney channels, both of which care more about tweenybopper crap than they do about cartoons. Disney Channel only shows the theatrical shorts once in a blue moon, while Disney XD is a confused mess. The fact that you can't see Disney classic shorts on the Disney Channel anymore is messed up, and this is coming from someone who's always preferred Looney Tunes and MGM.

Right:

-Shorts such as Mickey Mouse and Looney Tunes are making a comeback.

-Mark Hammil and Kristen Schaal voicing cartoon characters.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Silverstar

What's wrong:

1. The Hub is calling itself Hub Network now. The Hub is a better name.

2. DirecTV doesn't offer The Hub in HD, and the channel has no West Coast feed.

3. Lack of variety in shows and concepts in general.

4. Overabundance of "dumb boy comedies".

5. Action shows are currently being treated like some accident the dog had on the carpet. I'm much more into comedy than action, but I still like a variety. Too much of any one genre isn't good.

6. Adult Swim. Aside from resurrecting Toonami (which I admit I haven't gotten around to actually watching) the block as a whole is a big fracking mess.

7. FOX's Animation Domination. Going back to the lack of variety listed above, the whole lineup is just The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers and a bunch of Family Guy clones. Can we please get something else beside dysfunctional family sitcoms? And if anything is possible in animation, then why are all of FOX's animated shows just people standing around talking?!

8. Network executives continue to hold on to the belief that only Caucasian males can star in cartoon shows. The only animated series which star females or non-Caucasians are aimed at preschoolers.

9. This flat, overly simplistic, abstract drawing style that so many shows seem to be fond of right now. The worst example of this is CN's Clarence, which looks like a bunch of doodles on some art student's notebook. The character designs are so phugly, and if the lead character is supposed to be a little boy, then why does he sound like a grown man?

10. Too many people refuse to take off their nostalgia glasses and would rather just see old properties (mostly 90's shows) get revived than innovate and come up with decent new shows.

11. No decent cartoon blocks on weekday afternoons or Friday and Saturday nights on prime time.

12. There hasn't been a Sam & Max animated series since the one which ran on Fox Kids. That's just wrong.

13. You can't see classic Disney theatrical shorts on any of the Disney channels. (Though they almost redeem themselves with the new Mickey Mouse shorts. I just wish they hadn't opted to go with the older chalk-faced Mickey.)

14. Warner Brothers Animation is sitting on the entire Hanna-Barbera library, yet they only feel the need to make new shows for Scooby-Doo and Tom & Jerry. I'm not saying that the HB cartoons were great masterpieces, but not everyone wants to see just endless Scooby and T&J shows over and over again. Toss one of the other franchises a bone once in a while.

15. It's 2014, and people are still whining about bringing back Teen Titans. Teen Titans GO! is enough for me to say "Enough Titans already, unless said show would focus on the Founding Five or some variation thereof". Let the 2003 TT rest already.

What's right:

1. Warner Brothers is finally trying to do new stuff with the Looney Tunes.

2. Dreamworks released Mr. Peabody & Sherman, an animated CGI feature based on an older cartoon which didn't suck or stray too far from the original source material.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daxdiv

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 15, 2014, 10:20:08 AM
Quote from: Goldstar on March 15, 2014, 09:02:10 AM
-Mark Hammil voicing cartoon characters.

Hmm?

He only retired from voicing the Joker. He still does voices for cartoons, like Regular Show where he voices Skips.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Daxdiv on March 15, 2014, 11:24:09 AM

Hmm?

He only retired from voicing the Joker. He still does voices for cartoons, like Regular Show where he voices Skips.

I was wondering what's wrong with him doing voices.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 15, 2014, 01:15:45 PM

Hmm?

I was wondering what's wrong with him doing voices.
Goldstar put him on the right side.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

It was early in the morning when I read Goldstar's post, so I was being lazy. And after Daxdiv responded to me, I didn't bother to re-read Goldstar's post. My bad. :sweat:

gunswordfist

Hmm?

WAIT WHAT?! :huh:

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 15, 2014, 03:00:54 PM

Hmm?

WAIT WHAT?! :huh:
Yeah, Arkham City was Hamill's last turn as the Joker.

Unless you mean that him voicing Skips is news to you.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Wrong:

-Almost no shows with female protagonists outside of preschool shows.

-Too many animated sitcoms about dysfunctional families.

-Adult Swim, aka the FOX animated comedy hour, takes the 8 PM hour from Cartoon Network.

-Superman doesn't have an animated series, or a video game that doesn't suck.

-Wonder Woman doesn't have an animated series or a solo live action movie .

-The idee fixee that an animated series can only focus on Caucasian males.

-Friday and Saturday nights, which used to be special occasions on cartoon channels, are now dead air.

-There are 2 major Disney channels, both of which care more about tweenybopper crap than they do about cartoons. Disney Channel only shows the theatrical shorts once in a blue moon, while Disney XD is a confused mess. The fact that you can't see Disney classic shorts on the Disney Channel anymore is messed up, and this is coming from someone who's always preferred Looney Tunes and MGM.

Right:

-Shorts such as Mickey Mouse and Looney Tunes are making a comeback.

-Mark Hammil and Kristen Schaal voicing cartoon characters.
I agree with all of these. I will defend the fact that Batman is not getting over saturated at all but other DC stars are definitely not getting enough spotlight. Not even Superman, which is just weird. The Flash and Hal Jordan should have at least two good cartoons up to this point.

Daikun

Quote from: Goldstar on March 15, 2014, 09:02:10 AMWrong:

Superman doesn't have an animated series, or a video game that doesn't suck.

Superman has translated VERY well into animation. Superman: The Animated Series is, in my opinion, the best interpretation of the character and franchise to date.

There are also the classic Fleischer shorts. Sure, the stories may seem uber-simplistic and their messages are outdated by today's standards, but the animation was ahead of its time and still holds up well today.