Greatest Villain Tournament 2014

Started by Pharass, March 15, 2014, 06:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

I trust that you already know how this works, so without further ado, let's get this party started:

Round 1, Match 1:

Sir Crocodile/Mr. Zero (One Piece)

Vs

Starjun (Toriko manga)

Vs

Commander Rehalt Guou/Richard Guyot (Guyver)

Vs

Meruem (Hunter X Hunter)

Vs

Nox (Wakfu)

Round 1, Match 2:

Millions Knives (Trigun anime)

Vs

Crystal Boy (Space Adventure Cobra)

Vs

Bill (Kill Bill)

Vs

Illumi Zoldyck (Hunter X Hunter)

Vs

Regan MacNeil (The Exorcist)

My votes:

Nox - Hands down one of the best antagonists I've seen in animation. Every time Nox made an appearance you knew that shit was about to get real: He was mysterious, intimidating, intelligent, powerful and had a tragic backstory. As much as I liked Yugo and the other protagonists, Nox is what made Wakfu for me.
Sir Crocodile - The best One Piece villain, hands down.
Richard Guyot - My favorite villain from Guyver
Meruem
Starjun

I'm not familiar with Toriko and I haven't got to the Chimera-Ant arc of Hunter yet.

---------------------

Bill
Crystal Boy - Tough choice between him and Bill, but I'll give the edge to old Snake-charmer. For now.
Regan
Illumi
Knives - Didn't care much for him in the anime to be honest, I prefer the manga-version.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

DAMN that first match is a good one! Really tough though, but let's see here...

Round 1: Match 1

Meruem - Meruem's character development in the Chimera Ant arc is easily it's highlight. After a certain point, he didn't feel like the antagonist, but the protagonist and I found myself rooting for him and for him to come to the right perspective on the worth of human life. What seemed like a shallow character became thoroughly sympathetic, and I think he's my favorite villain Togashi has written so far, as well as one of my favorite villains of all time in general.

Nox - I haven't finished the first season yet, but I've watched enough and seen enough clips of this guy in action, as well as watched his backstory episode, and my god is this guy awesome. Every time he appears is a treat and you know you're in for some serious shit. But more than that, he has one of the saddest, most tragic backstories I've seen in animation, and I've seen a lot. I might have put him first if I finished the first season, but he's still worthy of second this time for me.

Starjun - Pharass, for future Toriko characters please use pictures from the manga. I hate Toei's redesigns, as I feel they rob them of the roughness they have in the manga (also Midora and Tommyrod's are just lame compared to their original manga designs, imo). I also like Starjun with his mask off better...

Anyways, Starjun is an awesome rival and antagonist figure with surprising layers to him, and every time he appears badass shit is sure to happen. It's unfortunate he's in this match (and that not enough people have read Toriko on this board), against so many other great contenders, but he's my second favorite villain in the series, next to Midora.

Sir Crocodile - Crocodile is cool, and definitely has great charisma and the aura of a memorable villain. I do like how he, in a way, represents what Luffy could become if he were to give up on his ambitions and cast aside his friendships to indulge in only purely personal power gain. He's also just a wonderfully manipulative bastard. My favorite scene of him, by far, is when those Alubarna soliders took this suicide drug to make them stronger in order to fight him, even though it would cost them their lives shortly after, and instead of indulging them, he just flies up onto the castle roof and waits until they die. That's quite simply one of my favorite scenes in the series, and is more than enough to tell you what kind of guy he is. But while I love him, I don't find him as interesting as Meruem, Nox, or Starjun as a character, so I'm going to have to put him fourth in this match, though I expect he'll move on anyway.

Commander Rehalt Guou/Richard Guyot - I'm sorry GSF, haven't seen this show yet while I'm familiar with all these other four, but he seems like a cool villain from what I've just read of him.

Round 1, Match 2:

Crystal Boy - He's just so goddamn cool. The embodiment of a style villain but with just enough substance to make him memorable too. I really need to finish the anime soon.

Illumi Zoldyck - His obsession with Killua borders on the disturbing, between a mere concern for his brother's well-being to something...deeper, if his actions in the Chariman Election arc aren't enough proof of that. Yet, I find him thoroughly likeable and fun to watch as well. Another interesting Togashi villain.

Knives Millions (anime) - I significantly prefer the manga's version of him, but I think he's an interesting character in the anime as well. Even though, unlike in the manga, he always had this strong unwavering belief that the weak need to be crushed for the strong, that one must kill to live, watching his actions unfold in the anime is still a fascinating thing to behold. Moreover, while his obsession with Vash in the anime is more disturbed, it also gives him a little more layers to him. We see in the final battle in the anime, during the standoff where both Knives and Vash have guns to each other's heads, that he too really doesn't want to die or to kill each him, but Vash leaves him no choice (in his opinion) because he stands in his way of destroying humanity. So there is a lot of nice characterization for him in the anime, but he's still shallow in comparison to his much deeper developed manga counterpart, which is why I'm putting him only third.

Bill - It's been a while since I've seen the KB movies, but I enjoyed Bill's personality and he's a fun villain.

Regan - Also good...also haven't seen the movie in a while...memorable...iconic memorable....but, at the end of the day, I just prefer the others here as characters.

Pharass

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 15, 2014, 09:30:23 AMStarjun - Pharass, for future Toriko characters please use pictures from the manga. I hate Toei's redesigns, as I feel they rob them of the roughness they have in the manga (also Midora and Tommyrod's are just lame compared to their original manga designs, imo). I also like Starjun with his mask off better...

Duly noted, the I've replaced the previous picture of Starjun with the one you posted.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's the inevitable problem with having so many villains nominated: I can't vote on a bunch of rounds because I'll only be familiar with 2 to 3 of the villains, on average. And unlike with other threads, you can't really just watch some episodes of the series, because you wont know where the villain appears, and if you just watch scenes that do feature him or her, it won't do anything for you unless seen in context, so it still wouldn't be a fair vote. It just so happens that the first round has one of my personal favorite villains, yet I can't do anything to support him since I'm unfamiliar with the other 3, and it would be unfair of me to vote.

Anyways, it's obviously too late to change anything. I was just putting in food for though for any future game threads we do to put on more limits for a good reason. It's the same thing with my animated movies thread, and that's only 200 nominations, but still, I learned my lesson the hard way.

Anyways, as for match 2, which I actually can vote on:

Illumi
Knives
Regan
Bill
Crystal (the only one I'm unfamiliar with)

Avaitor

I have to pass on the first, but for the second

Bill
Illumi
Knives
Regan
Crystal Boy
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Guyot - Nice knowing you Guou because you aren't making it out of this round but you are probably on the bottom of the nominations I made. Vicked classic voice FTW! (Did you just see the remake, Pharass?)
Meruem - He's closely surpassing Guou for me but I did halt my 2011 viewing.
Sir Crocodile - I've only seen a few minutes of this arrogant guy on tv but that's more than I can say about the other two.
Nox - Because the name stood out to me.
Starjun - This name isn't bad either!

Illumi - I love the clues about him being such a caring person despite him coming off as a cold assassin. Also, he really wasn't serious about killing everyone at the Hunter Exam (besides obvious reasons like not wanting to face Hisoka or any Hunter there) I am also curious as to why the Zoldyck family says Killua has more potential than him. I think it may be a character defect I don't know about yet on his part. I hope I get to see him on the show again.
Knives - Because he challenges Vash's way of thinking. That's about it.
Bill
Regan
Crystal Boy
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Mmm, I feel I must apologize, since I'm really the one to blame for the Animated Movie competition being so large, since I literally nominated 60% of the movies in the competition. About 40% of the contenders in this villains competition are from me as well. I guess I went overboard with both tournaments nominating just about every movie and villain I remotely liked.  :sweat: Next time I will try to limit myself to only the most essential choices.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Nah, I'm not blaming you or anyone else (I nominated a lot as well). It's just that I've learned my lesson for the future of these types of competition threads.

gunswordfist

I can listen to video game music for hours (I've racked up some many hours doing just that this year) so I think I'll be good. :awesome:

Spark Of Spirit

Knives - He's shallow specifically because he chooses to be, even his clothes are chosen to show how little he has grown since first parting with Vash. His goals are not well thought out because he doesn't want to think them out, he wants them to be simple as he illustrated in the "Rem Saverem" episode. He is a great villain specifically because he is the opposite of Vash in every way with their only similarity being their incredible powers. That is why he is a perfect foil to Vash and more of a match to Vash than Legato is. Because he is his equal in everything but humility.

Illumi - Pretty much the antonym of Killua. He's a great villain, but I can't say I like seeing him when he comes around. At least Hisoka has unpredictability going for him.

Regan - Puts the creepy in creepy little girl

Crystal Boy - Come on, just look at him!

Bill - Meh. Great performance, but as a villain he does little for me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Match 1:
Meruem
Sir Crocodile
Nox
Starjun
Guyot

Match 2
Illumi
Knives
Crystal Boy
Regan
Bill

Pharass

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 15, 2014, 02:45:42 PM
Guyot - Nice knowing you Guou because you aren't making it out of this round but you are probably on the bottom of the nominations I made. Vicked classic voice FTW! (Did you just see the remake, Pharass?)

No, I've read quite a bit of the manga as well. However, I lost track of where I was as other titles called more loudly for my attention. I do remember reading further than what was adapted into the 2005 anime though.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Whoa, a real Guyver fan. I do what to read the manga and watch more than 1 episode of 2005.

Pharass

Well, I've counted all of the votes and here are the results:

Crocodile: 12 pts
Starjun: 7 pts
Guyot: 9 pts
Meruem: 16 pts
Nox: 14 pts

Knives: 24 pts
Crystal Boy: 17 pts
Bill: 19 pts
Illumi: 29 pts
Regan: 16 pts

Meruem, Nox, Knives & Illumi move on to the next round.

The next two matches will be up shortly.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

Round 1, Match 3:

Jack Spicer (Xiaolin Showdown)

Vs

Yoshikage Kira (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)

Vs

The Claw (Gun X Sword)

Vs

Xeexi (Sym-Bionic Titan)

Vs

Ran (Urusei Yatsura)

Round 1, Match 4:

Mask of Ice (Pokemon Adventures)

Vs

Hideo Kuze (Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex 2nd GIG)

Vs

Doctor Octopus (Marvel)

Vs

Chiyo (Toriko manga)

Vs

Zim (Invader Zim)

My Votes:

Yoshikage Kira: My favorite villain in Jojo and my second favorite character in the series overall. True, kill-crazy lunatics are a dime a dozen in comics, but Kira's weird habits and his creepy fetish for women's hands made him stand out. I also find his lack of ambition interesting, all the other Jojo big-bads want traditional villain stuff like gaining power and ruling the world and shit. Kira, though? He just wants to live a quiet life that allows him to continue his serial-killings without being exposed.

Jack Spicer: A very good comedic villain.
The Claw
Ran
Xeexi

I'm not that far into Urusei Yatsura yet, but considering that I don't really care for Sym-Bionic Titan or it's villains and the fact that Rumiko Takahashi usually does comedy-antagonists quite well I decided to cheat (if you can call it that) and rank Ran higher than Xeexi.

--------------

Doc Ock
Mask of Ice
Kuze: Great character, although personally I consider Gohda to be the true villain of 2nd GIG.
Zim
Chiyo: Just started looking into Toriko and I guess it'll be awhile before she shows up. That said; damn, that's quite a creepy-looking old hag.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.