Greatest Villain Tournament 2014

Started by Pharass, March 15, 2014, 06:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Match 3

Ran - My third favorite character in UY. Her incredibly fickle love/hate personality is always hilarious and she results in creating some of the funniest, most memorable moments in the show. When I was first reading UY, I would always get excited whenever I came across another Ran story, and they never failed to entertain.

Jack Spicer - This guy was such a blast. He was the main reason I watched XS, and was always entertaining to watch throughout the entire series.

Yoshikage Kira - Admittedly, I haven't seen this guy in action yet, but from what Vlord has told me, he's a sick crazy bastard and the best villain in the series, so that's gotta count for something.

The Claw - I like how he's a good person that is still capable of doing horrible things because of his skewed ideas of what's best for the world. That said, as a character and villain I like him less than Ran and Jack and Kira sounds like he's better, so I'm putting him fourth.

Xeexi - Eh, not much of a personality, nor left much of an impact, imo.

Round 4:

Doctor Octopus - My favorite version of him is by far Spectacular Spider-Man's, but he's still an interesting and entertaining villain in almost every thing I've seen him in too.

Mask of Ice - A surprisingly, but effectively tragic character. One of the best villains in all of Adventures, if not the best.

Chiyo - The best part about most Toriko villains are how batshit insane they are, and Chiyo was insane as fuck. It's almost kind of disappointing that she's probably not a villain anymore after the timeskip, but hopefully she'll still have some good appearances Livebearer-style later on.

Hideo Kuze - I still need to watch 2nd Gig...

Zim - I love his over the top and neurotic personality, but he's not as good a villain as the others.

Quote from: Pharass on March 24, 2014, 11:22:52 AM

Chiyo: Just started looking into Toriko and I guess it'll be awhile before she shows up. That said; damn, that's quite a creepy-looking old hag.

Make sure you only read the manga. Never watch the anime. The anime is terrible because Toei censors and drags out everything, on top of changing important stuff, adding unnecessary stuff, and terrible animation.

And yeah, Chiyo doesn't show up until about chapter 180 iirc.

gunswordfist

Match 3:
Opposite of Pharass

Match 4:
Zim
Doc Ock
Chiyo
Kuze
Mask Of Ice
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

Match 3:
Same as Pharass

Match 4:
Doctor Octopus
Hideo Kuze
Mask of Ice
Zim
Chiyo

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 24, 2014, 12:15:36 PM
I still need to watch 2nd Gig...
:srs:

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I feel stupid for forgetting to nominate GBF (Regular Show), Skinner Sweet (America Vampire) and Kevin Cash (The Last Days Of American Crime). That is all.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I'll have to pass on the first one for now, but for the second,

Doc Ock
Kuze
Zim
Chiyo
Mask of Ice
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Pharass

I've counted the votes and two of the contestants are currently tied. I'm going to leave the matches open until Saturday, but if no new votes have come in by then, I'm going to pick which one of the two gets to move on. The choice is yours.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 24, 2014, 12:15:36 PM

Round 4:

Doctor Octopus - My favorite version of him is by far Spectacular Spider-Man's, but he's still an interesting and entertaining villain in almost every thing I've seen him in too.

Mask of Ice - A surprisingly, but effectively tragic character. One of the best villains in all of Adventures, if not the best.

Chiyo - The best part about most Toriko villains are how batshit insane they are, and Chiyo was insane as fuck. It's almost kind of disappointing that she's probably not a villain anymore after the timeskip, but hopefully she'll still have some good appearances Livebearer-style later on.

Hideo Kuze - I still need to watch 2nd Gig...but whatever, he's probably a better villain than Zim.

Zim - I love his over the top and neurotic personality. I don't care about him moving on, though, so I'll give Kuze the push.

I changed my rankings. That should effectively break the tie, allowing Doc Oc and Kuze to move on.

Pharass

Thank you, Cartoon X.
Everyone, disregard what I wrote earlier, these matches have now concluded. Here are the results:

Jack Spicer: 14 pts
Yoshikage Kira: 14 pts
The Claw: 11 pts
Xeexi: 8 pts
Ran: 13 pts

Mask of Ice: 13 pts
Hideo Kuze: 15 pts
Dr Octopus: 24 pts
Chiyo: 10 pts
Zim:  13 pts

Jack, Kira, Kuze and Doc Ock move on to the next round. The next two matches will be posted tomorrow.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

Round 1, Match 5:

Li Zhao (Infinite Kung-Fu)

Vs

Shogo Makishima (Psycho-Pass)

Vs

Angel-Eyes (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

Vs

Midora (Toriko manga)

Vs

Izaya Orihara (Durarara)

Round 1, Match 6:

The Rani (Doctor Who)

Vs

Akira Takaoka (Assassination Classroom)

Vs

Wuya (Xiaolin Showdown)

Vs

Owen Burnett/Puck (Gargoyles)

Vs

Crona (Soul Eater manga)

My votes:

Shogo Makishima: Perhaps it's a bit premature to rank him as number one, considering that I'm not finished with Psycho-Pass. That said, from what I've seen of Shogo so far, he's been an excellent mastermind character, pulling things from the shadow. It'll be interesting to see whether he has a reason for doing the things he does or if he's just in it for shits and giggles.

Izaya Orihara: An excellent trickster character and one of the best things about this series. I would've liked it if his master-plan had actually gone somewhere, Hopefully we'll get another season someday.

Angel-Eyes: He's not my favorite villain in The Dollar Trilogy (that honor goes to El Indio), but he's nevertheless a menacing and badass villain. Out of all the three titular characters, he was the one who deserved his moniker the most.

Midiroa
Li Zhao: Haven't read Infinite Kung-Fu yet, but it seems interesting. I'll have to check it out.

-----------

The Rani: I've only seen her first appearance, but in it she definitely established herself as one of my favorite Doctor Who villains. When I first heard of The Rani I was expecting her to be sort of a female version of The Master. Well, it turns out that she's completely different: The Master is obsessed with besting/killing The Doctor and ruling the Universe. The Rani on the other hand, is an amoral scientist who couldn't car less about The Doctor as long as he doesn't interfere with her experiments (which he naturally does, seeing as how her experiments tend to profoundly unethical). I also enjoyed her bickering with The Master ("What's he doing now? Something devious and over-complicated no doubt"), it actually reminded me a bit of Jack Spicer and Wuya (though The Master is usually more competent and assertive than Jack). Speaking of which..

Wuya: I thought she made a great straight-man to Jack and their interactions were a lot of fun to watch. I also liked the fact that when she regained her full power at the end of season 1, she actually honored her deal with Raimundo instead of stabbing him in the back, which was a nice surprise.

Owen: Every criminal master-mind should have a right-hand man like this guy.

Akira Takaoka: I've yet to actually "meet" this guy, but from what  I found out about him while searching for pictures, he seems like a truly despicable villain.
Crona: Haven't read the Soul Eater manga. I've seen the anime though, but Crona didn't really come off as a villain in it.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yet another round that I can't vote on despite some of my favorite villains being featured here. I might as well just wait until round 2 of the matches begin. :(

LumRanmaYasha

Match 5

Midora - I might be overrating him, but I really do love this guy. A layered villain with a tragic backstory and understandable (if not flawed) motives, and a real character instead of unambiguously evil villain like a lot of shonen series have these days. He's a fascinating character and I eagerly await when he returns, though that may be a ways off.

Shogo Makishima - One of the best mastermind characters in recent memory, and one of my favorite things about Psycho-Pass.

Izaya Orihara -
Quote from: Pharass on April 05, 2014, 07:07:38 AM

Izaya Orihara: An excellent trickster character and one of the best things about this series. I would've liked it if his master-plan had actually gone somewhere, Hopefully we'll get another season someday.

Another season of Durarara was confirmed to be in the works a couple weeks ago, actually.

Anyway, I love how Izaya is such an emotionally manipulative bastard and causes all the chaos he does for shits and giggles. He's a blast of a trickster character and always stole every scene he was in for me.

Angel Eyes -  I really like this badass bastard, but I admit it's been a while since I've seen the movie, while these others are much fresher in my memory.

Li Zhao - I'm afraid I haven't read Infinite Kung Fu yet, but looking it up, it seems like something I'd really enjoy. I'll make sure to check it out sometime.

Match 6:

Crona -
Quote from: Pharass on April 05, 2014, 07:07:38 AM

Crona: Haven't read the Soul Eater manga. I've seen the anime though, but Crona didn't really come off as a villain in it.

Yeeaaaaahhhh the anime is way different the manga past episode 33. During the Arachnophobia arc in the manga Medusa fucks up Crona's mind so hard he/she become psychotic, and then he becomes increasingly more disturbed from there, and then at the end of the series he's basically a dual antagonist with the Kishin. Anyway, Crona is one of only 4 things I really liked about Soul Eater, but he/she is by far the best thing, with a well-done character arc and a tragic character in many respects. I also really sypathized with his loneliness and lack of confidence when I first encountered the series, as I could relate to those feelings, and seeing him become happier only to be manipulated and shot into a downward spiral of madness was sad to see. I was pretty much reading the manga only to see what happened to him/her, and I was more than satisfied by his fate.

Owen Burnett - Owen always knew exactly what to do to aid Xanatos in his schemes, and his loyalty was shocking (remember when he sacrificed his hand to test out something for him in "The Cage?" I always enjoyed seeing this guy work, and he's probably my favorite right-hand man in animation.

Akira Takaoka - Pharass, here's a picture.

Takaoka is certainly a crazy bastard, wanting to emotionally scar the students to make them submissive to him, and then, after he gets fired, tries to murder them by poisoning their food, sending assassins after the rest, and tries to lure Nagisa to him in order to brutally torture him as revenge...well, that's kind of fucked up. He's a fun over-the-top mad villain, and was responsible for probably my favorite part of the series to date, and it was oh-so gratifying to see Nagisa beat him at his own game (non-violently even!).

Wuya - I always found her hilarious, and a perfect straight-man to Jack. The episodes were she regained her body and took over the world were some of my favorite episodes of the show when I was a kid. I'm putting her fourth mainly because I haven't seen the show in a while, and the other characters are fresher in my memory.

The Rani - Haven't encountered her in the show yet, I'm afraid.  :sweat:

Pharass

The picture of Takaoka has been added to the match line-up. Thank you, Cartoon X.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

VLordGTZ

Match 5
Shogo Makishima
Izaya Orihara
Midora
Angel Eyes
Li Zhoa

Match 6