Anime Madness

Started by LumRanmaYasha, March 17, 2014, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks guys!

To be fair, I'd figure SB would probably lose to Oreimo if a similar contest were being done in Japan too. That really speaks to how lame the general modern anime fandom is worldwide.

Avaitor

Hmm, RS's typical visitors don't seem to care much for Titan, do they?

Good luck, CX! This seems pretty crazy, but fun at the same time. I regret not making a bracket for Disneyland/WDW's own March Madness game, myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

To be fair, AoT was up against Sailor Moon this time, and last time it went up against Hatsune Miku, which won the whole shebang. So it's really just gotten unlucky pairings both these years.  :P

LumRanmaYasha

Well, the results of round 2 are in. Suffice to say...I won't be winning jack shit.  :sweat:

On one hand, I'm happy that Tiger & Bunny's been doing so well. It's a great series. But once again, it's screwed me over in this competition. The fact it did so just narrowly also irritates me too. I should have known better not to underestimate the popularity of Kotetsu "Wild Tiger" Kaburagi and Barnaby "Bunny" Brooks!

I feel bad that I underestimated Dandy here. My bracket feels the pain too. I should never have doubted the power of Dandy, baby.

I knew it would be close...but shit, why didn't I go for JoJo's afterall? Yare Yare daze.

I did not see this one coming at all either. I though OC would beat Devil because it was more recent. My bracket is dying. No, it's already in hell.

Whoever won this match wouldn't affect me since I thought Citrus would make it to round 3 instead of losing in round 1. I wouldn't have pegged OMG!'s wide victory here, though.

Thank god, another one I called right! Though I would have been wildly surprised if SM lost to any -gatari anything.

So yeah, I got creamed this round. I'm probably out of the game, but it'll be interesting to see how things play out from here. And hey, everything that made it to round 3 deserved to win their respective match! What a surprise! I'm definitely going to have to rethink my strategy for next year.

gunswordfist

Words can't express how ecstatic I am that JoJo beat Eva...baby. I hope you're not out of the competition just yet. :)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Here are my 100% speculation-based analyses!

Tiger & Bunny probably beat Oreimo because the former has a sizable fujoshi fanbase and the latter has declined in popularity due to its horrific ending that pissed everyone off.

Space Dandy bombed hard in Japan, but Nisekoi seems to be considered mediocre at best and garbage at worst by just about everyone.

JoJo's and Evangelion are about equally popular in Japan from what I can tell, but JJBA probably did better this time for two reasons:
1) JoJo's has a fantastic modern anime adaptation.
2) Eva 3.0 sucked.

Nobody likes Outbreak Company, and The Devil Is A Part-Timer's light novel is a pretty big seller overseas IIRC.

To be honest, I'm surprised Hanamonogatari didn't beat Sailor Moon! Crystal is unadulterated garbage and Monogatari has been Japan's flavor of the month ever since Bake aired. Then again, I suppose nostalgia will always trump all.

Foggle

Wait, I thought this thing was about Japanese popular opinions on anime? Maybe I was thinking of a different contest.

Even then, I do think most of my points still stand aside from the Monogatari one, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, Crystal is shit, but I believe that many people still have fond memories of the original anime, whereas Monogatari doesn't really have the widespread appeal that Sailor Moon does outside of Japan.

LumRanmaYasha

This is a mostly western fanbase-based competition hosted by Rightstuf, so I'd think it'd mostly reflect the western fan community's tastes rather than Japan's. Not sure how many people in Japan buy stuff off of Rightstuf, much less would vote in this.

Oreimo went very far in the competition last year, even despite it's shit ending, so I figured it would do the same this year as well.

The Nisekoi manga sells extremely well over here. From what I've gathered, it's quite popular and well-liked with the casual crowd. I just didn't figure Dandy became as popular with western fans as it seems to, at least enough so to beat out Nisekoi.

I'd say beating Evangelion in this thing is indicative of JoJo's truly becoming a big title in the U.S., and a good measure of it's current popularity and success (so someone license the anime for home video already!). 

Sailor Moon is Sailor Moon. Arguably the biggest and most popular anime among westerners after Dragon Ball Z. Even if it was Crystal being run in this thing (which it isn't - the original is). I know the Monogatari franchise is popular even here, but last year was the SM franchise's year back in the limelight, and it's been as big over here as it's ever been, so I never thought it would be ever in danger of losing (and the poll results reflect that).

Foggle

I just thought this was one of those competitions about predicting the Japanese popularity of certain titles. I know I've seen some of those before...

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 31, 2015, 02:00:22 PM
The Nisekoi manga sells extremely well over here. From what I've gathered, it's quite popular and well-liked with the casual crowd. I just didn't figure Dandy became as popular with western fans as it seems to, at least enough so to beat out Nisekoi.
Mainstream television viewers almost certainly trump manga purchasers in terms of audience, though. And, since this is just about animated versions... the Nisekoi anime is awful. Dreadful. Nigh unwatchable.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 31, 2015, 01:56:49 PM
Well, Crystal is shit, but I believe that many people still have fond memories of the original anime, whereas Monogatari doesn't really have the widespread appeal that Sailor Moon does outside of Japan.
Yeah.

LumRanmaYasha

Actually, Anime Madness (despite it's name) puts manga, anime, and misc. versions of different titles against each other. The version of Nisekoi that's in the competition is in fact the manga. But yeah, Dandy's run on [adult swim] definitely gave it a wide boost in recognition and popularity that Nisekoi doesn't really have.

In general the medium of a series doesn't seem to matter, though, since the votes tend to mostly be based on name recognition/popularity more than anything else.

Avaitor

Didn't Gundam: The Origin win last year, or make it very close to the end? I forget if it's adaptation is out yet, let alone if it was released by then.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Gundam: The Origin lost in the second round last year (and it was the manga version that was in the competition). The winner last year was a Hatsune Miku artbook.

LumRanmaYasha

Well, I called what the championship round would be, Kill la Kill vs. Sailor Moon, accurately. Unfortunately, I made a lot of mistakes as to what was going to move on in between, so I think it's safe to say I ain't getting shit this year.  :P

LumRanmaYasha

And wouldn't you know it, Sailor Moon won! I might not get prizes, but least I got the final winner right this time. Last year I wasn't even close.  :D