Favorite Disney Songs

Started by Avaitor, January 04, 2011, 01:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

This thread doesn't exist yet? Time to change that.

Some of my favorites include

"Heaven's Light"/"Hellfire" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I went pretty deep into it before, but to me, this is the ultimate Disney song combined into two numbers; a very touching song by the hero, and an explosive number by the villain that add up to a great work.

"Under the Sea" from The Little Mermaid. This is just an insanely catchy, very fun song. I still think that it's the movie's highlight in general, since it contains some of the brightest animation throughout and is completely unforgettable. I can remember every note from this number by heart.

"Bella Notte" from Lady and the Tramp. Maybe the greatest love song from any of Disney's movies. Every little detail added into the sequence, from the cook's duet to the choir's reprisal to every single frame is perfect. I'm kicking myself for not adding it on the blog's top 10 song list now.

"I Just Can't Wait to Be King" from The Lion King. Also a very fun song with a great beat, clever lyrics, and amazingly sharp animation. I had to link to the HD version to show you what I'm talking about.

"Let's Go Fly a Kite" from Mary Poppins. I watched Mary Poppins again last night, and the final number still sticks out to me as the highlight from the entire film. To me, it's a culmination of what makes the movie so special and is the perfect finish to what is probably the perfect Disney movie.

"Friends on the Other Side" from The Princess and the Frog. Instant classic, no question. Keith David nails it, and the animation is very vibrant.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hellfire and Be Prepared are easily the most memorable Disney songs to me, personally.

Pharass

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 04, 2011, 02:08:40 PM
Hellfire and Be Prepared are easily the most memorable Disney songs to me, personally.

I agree wholeheartedly. Then again, I always thought the villains had the most memorable songs in the Disney movies.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

talonmalon333

I think "Circle of Life" is EASILY the best Disney song. That piece is just... wow, every time I hear it. I can't even pick a favorite part, but I do adore the opening with the sunset.

Veggie

I've recently started to appreciate "Everybody Wants to be a Cat". Pretty sweet jazz music, imo.

Also, "Let's Go Fly a Kite" just hit me with a huge wave of nostalgia.

Daxdiv

I kind of like this song, Snuff Out the Light, even though it was cut from the final production of Emperor's New Grove, back before they had to retool it. Eartha Kitt is an amazing singer.

Also, can't go wrong with Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase. It's a good mood raiser for me.

As for Tangled, it's I've Got a Dream, it's a pretty cool song, if only for hearing Brad Garrett sing a song. Then there's Mother Knows Best (Reprise) you know, I didn't notice this, but if you haven't seen the film, this song sounds like they're talking about Rapunzel's virginity.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I've Got A Dream was pretty killer. I love those kinds of gang songs where everyone chimes in.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Wait, have you seen Tangled yet, Desen?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on January 06, 2011, 10:40:50 AM
Wait, have you seen Tangled yet, Desen?
Oh, didn't I mention it? I saw it in December with a friend of mine. It was a fun time.

The songs were all pretty great, and even if the plot was pretty straightforward, it was well executed. It's the kind of movie only Disney can do properly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Nah, I don't think you did.

Glad you enjoyed it. Tangled was a pretty enjoyable Disney fairy tale, even if it's not the best one they've done. I do think that Disney's animation department is improving, even if they're still far from perfect.

New blog!

TheSequelOfDisney

I'd have to say that my favorite Disney song is Part of Your World. Actually, I love pretty much any song written by Alan Menken and Ashman/Rice/Schwartz. Yeah, I grew up in the 90s, so I'm kind of partial  :P

No-Personality

Some of my favorites (some are score pieces) (I say some because I know I'm forgetting some, just don't know which):

"Tomorrow is Another Day" (The Rescuers, though I like the movie version's vocals better)
"You Belong to My Heart" (The Three Caballeros)
"Tale of the Headless Horseman (Ichabod & Mr. Toad)
"Candle on the Water" (Pete's Dragon)
"Baia" (The Three Caballeros)
"Poor Unfortunate Souls" (The Little Mermaid)
"Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf" (Three Little Pigs)
The version of "Higitus Figitus" Merlin does in the kitchen (The Sword in the Stone)
"Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat" (The Aristocats)
"Love" (Robin Hood)
"Trust in Me" (The Jungle Book)
"Magic Mirror" (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
"Heffalumps and Woozles" (Winnie the Pooh)
"Pink Elephants on Parade" (Dumbo)
"Grim Grinning Ghosts" (The Haunted Mansion)
"Animal Friends" (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) (ends at 1:00)
"Have You Been to Baia?" (The Three Caballeros)
"Very Good Advice" (Alice in Wonderland)
"Magic Journeys" (Magic Eye Theater)
"Let Me Be Good to You" (The Great Mouse Detective)
"The Journey (Rescue Me)" (The Rescuers)
"Madam Mim" (The Sword in the Stone)
"Painting the Roses Red" (Alice in Wonderland)
"Mermaid Lagoon" (Peter Pan)
"Cruella DeVil" (101 Dalmatians)
"March of the Cards" (Alice in Wonderland)
"Tulgey Wood" (Alice in Wonderland)
"Too Good to Be True" (Fun and Fancy Free)
"Substitutiary Locomotion" (Bedknobs & Broomsticks - mostly because of the scene, 'course)
"Money by the Pound" (Pete's Dragon, again the scene goes along with it- it's just too freaky to pass up)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Hey Laz, welcome to the board.

I can see you listed a bunch of good ones that I neglected to mention- including "Madam Mim". Her entire sequence in the movie is a trip. I should probably mention that in the favorite scenes thread.

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on January 14, 2011, 11:08:15 AM
Hey Laz, welcome to the board.

I can see you listed a bunch of good ones that I neglected to mention- including "Madam Mim". Her entire sequence in the movie is a trip. I should probably mention that in the favorite scenes thread.
Thanks!

Ya know- I looked but I didn't find one. (Here.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

A while ago, Dalek and I traded out lists for what we considered to be the best Disney songs. We counted them up in 2 parts- with movies made in Walt's lifetime, and the movies made during the Renaissance period. I'm bored, so I'll share mine.

Walt-era:

1- "Baby Mine"
2- "When You Wish Upon a Star"
3- "Bella Notte"
4- "Someday My Prince Will Come"
5- "You Can Fly"
6- "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"
7- "The Three Caballeros"
8- "High Ho"
9- "I Wanna Be Like You"
10- "So This is Love"

Renaissance era:

1- "Heaven's Light"/"Hellfire"
2- "A Whole New World"
3- "Circle of Life"
4- "Part of Your World"
5- "Something There"
6- "You'll Be In My Heart"
7- "I'll Make a Man Out of You"
8- "Under the Sea"
9- "I Just Can't Wait to Be King"
10- "Belle"

Although if you wanted to just count anything post-Walt in the second list, I'd put "Friends on the Other Side" on at about 5.

Comments?

New blog!