Comics That You Think Other Members On This Board Should Read

Started by gunswordfist, March 29, 2014, 05:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Self-explanatory.

Foggle:

Atomic Robo, assuming you haven't already read it. I'd recommend it to you because I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Deadpool and Scud. While not as good as those two, I'm pretty sure you'd still enjoy AR.

Pharass:

American Vampire. It seems like something you'd like.

And that's all I got. :unimpressed:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Everyone:
Ashita no Joe

Desensitzed and Cartoon X:
REAL

And that's all that I've got for right now.

Foggle

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on March 29, 2014, 11:56:23 AM
Thanks GSF!
You're welcome, man! Atomic Robo has a sense of humor that's a bit like Deadpool's and Scud and the action is good.

Dr. Insomniac

I should look into my library for some of Atomic Robo. That's been on the recommendation pile for a few years.

gunswordfist

I'm only like two volumes in but it's decent.

Dr., you've giving me more good recommendations here than anyone else (Planetary, Scalped, Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?). Got anymore suggested reads for me?

Dr. Insomniac

I've heard some good things about Hickman's books like The Manhattan Projects and Secret Warriors. I read a few volumes of the latter, and it's what I wish Agents of SHIELD should have been.

gunswordfist

I heard The Manhattan Projects was good and tried to get it from my library one day (I moved though). I think I tried to get Secret Warriors too.

Speaking of Agents Of SHIELD, I really want to get my hands on Nick Fury MAX.

Dr. Insomniac

So where's that thing for all the volumes of Ashita no Joe? Every link I go to only goes up to Vol 17.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 30, 2014, 05:36:40 PM
So where's that thing for all the volumes of Ashita no Joe? Every link I go to only goes up to Vol 17.

It's only been translated up to volume 17 so far. The scans have been coming in at a volume per month for the last 4 volumes, so going by that logic, we may get the rest of the series completed within the next 3 months or so.

gunswordfist

Everyone:
Dynamo 5
Annihilation (The best modern day comic book event)
Planet Hulk
Batman Lovers & Madmen (Better than The Man Who Laughs, imo)
Old Man Logan
Invincible Iron Fist
Batman Hush
Astonishing X-Men V. 1-4
G.I. Joe Kobra
Superman Birthright
100 Bullets
The Walking Dead
Infinite Kungfu
Criminal
Incognito

gunswordfist

Everyone: Samurai Executioner - It's samurai noir. Kind of hard for me to describe it. I think everybody here would like it.

Spark Of Spirit - Thor The First Avenger - A very short lived series, unfortunately. It's kind of like a Marvel version of Batman The Brave And The Bold with its nods to the older comics and showing love to underappreciated characters.

Pharass

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 29, 2014, 05:31:47 AM
Pharass:

American Vampire. It seems like something you'd like.

I've actually read the first volume of American Vampire. I enjoyed it, should look into the rest when I have the time. I'll second Samurai Executioner, Criminal and 100 Bullets all of which are excellent comics.

My recommendations (everyone):

Corto Maltese: One of the greatest adventure comics ever made. Ballad of the Salt Sea the story that introduced the character, recently got a new English translation. However, my personal favorite comic in the series is Corto Maltese in Siberia which I recommend starting with, if you can find a copy.
Planetary
Rex Mundi
Scalped
Lone Wolf and Cub: From the same team that made Samurai Executioner, this is another title that deserve to be called a classic.
Templar: Awesome mix between historical fiction and heist-movie from the creator of the Prince of Persia games and The Last Express

That will do for now, I'll try to think of some more titles later.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

I should have known that you already started on American Vampire. ;D It only gets better, my friend. Also, I'm sure No-Personality would love the series.

How far have you gotten in Criminal and 100 Bullets? 100 Bullets is still my absolute favorite comic book series. Criminal's the only comic I've read that has stories that I just can't see translated well into live action or animation. It really takes advantage of its medium.

I 2nd Planetary (probably my favorite non-mainstream superhero team comic...scratch that, it definitely is.) and of course Scalped. What's Rex Mundi about? Also, I believe I was favorited a lot of art from Templar on deviantart early this morning.

Pharass

I've read six volumes of 100 Bullets and three of Criminal.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.