Nier (And Why You Should Play It)

Started by Foggle, April 27, 2014, 08:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

This game is 5 years old as of yesterday. So, uh...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

When I finally get my Pharmacy license (which will still probably take a few more months), I will buy this game to reward myself. I haven't been ignoring it, but I've just temporarily given up gaming in general until I get done with this phase of my life and never have to look back on it again. Once I'm clear, I'll make a comeback into the world of video games, although not necessarily with newer consoles, since I still can't afford any of those.

Foggle

I know you haven't been ignoring it. ;) Just trying to remind people it exists!

I just hope you like it in spite of my building it up so much. :shit:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

talonmalon333

So Foggle, reading your posts has made me interested in playing Nier. Should I play any of the other games first?

Foggle

Nah. I didn't, and I still loved the game to death (Nier is what got me into the series). Also, if I'm honest, attempting to play a Drakengard game without already being invested in the universe would probably make you less likely to want to pick up Nier...

Thankfully, it's become way cheaper now on both consoles. Not as cheap as it was when I bought it at the end of 2013, but certainly a lot more affordable.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 28, 2015, 07:15:57 PM
Nah. I didn't, and I still loved the game to death (Nier is what got me into the series). Also, if I'm honest, attempting to play a Drakengard game without already being invested in the universe would probably make you less likely to want to pick up Nier...

Thankfully, it's become way cheaper now on both consoles. Not as cheap as it was when I bought it at the end of 2013, but certainly a lot more affordable.

Cool! I won't get to it for a while as my backlog is cluttered, but I definitely want to play it. Maybe I should purchase it in the nier future before it goes up in price.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 28, 2015, 07:18:26 PM
Cool! I won't get to it for a while as my backlog is cluttered, but I definitely want to play it. Maybe I should purchase it in the nier future before it goes up in price.
Excellent! Gotta be on gard in case the stock starts running low again.

It's worth noting that while Nier is technically a sequel to Drakengard, the two games really have very little to do with each other. Aside from some sly references sprinkled throughout the game, the only important thing to know is that the events of D1's fifth ending caused the creation of both magic and an incurable disease in the world of Nier. Also, Drakengard 2 has basically been rendered non-canon in the same way DMC2 has.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 28, 2015, 07:27:21 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 28, 2015, 07:18:26 PM
Excellent! Gotta be on gard in case the stock starts running low again.

It's worth noting that while Nier is technically a sequel to Drakengard, the two games really have very little to do with each other. Aside from some sly references sprinkled throughout the game, the only important thing to know is that the events of D1's fifth ending caused the creation of both magic and an incurable disease in the world of Nier. Also, Drakengard 2 has basically been rendered non-canon in the same way DMC2 has.

From the images I've seen, Drakengard seems to have more of an anime style to it. I might be wrong though. In fact, I probably am. But anyway, it looks like I can pick up Nier for around $20 currently. I probably should take advantage of that.

I just noticed I've decided to play this game exactly one year and one day since you initially made this thread. Sorry for taking so long. :sweat:

Foggle

I'm not sure I'd call any of the games anime-styled, but the third one does have some pretty ridiculous character designs, including the ever-lovable primary color hair. Parts of Drakengard 1 were inspired by the writer/director's hatred of Sister Princess and parts of D3 were inspired by his love of Madoka Magica, though.

It's okay! I'm just glad I made anyone want to play it at all. :)

gunswordfist

..I did not know DMC2 was rendered non-canon.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 28, 2015, 09:55:39 PM
..I did not know DMC2 was rendered non-canon.
They retconned it to take place so far into the future that it has no bearing on any present or future installments in the series. ;)

gunswordfist

Right, 2 is supposed to be after 4...weird.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

The announcement of a sequel has made Nier much harder to find and a lot more expensive to buy, especially on PS3. I highly recommend picking up a copy soon if you plan on playing it at all.

Nel_Annette

Crap. I've had my eye on it for months but wasn't willing to pay the $35. Now it's suddenly skyrocketed in price to $55+. Yikes.