The Greatest Anime Opening Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, May 01, 2014, 07:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

anime ending should definitely be next. i still want my next project to be anime music.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Inkwolf

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 26, 2014, 01:23:25 PM
You might be surprised. Most of my favorite shows that contain long arcs are usually no more than 2 seasons, and some of the ones that are tend to be episodic shows (like BTAS, Futurama, South Park, etc.). I think Yu Yu Hakusho is literally the only show among my top 10 with a continuous story-line that's over 100 episodes long.

Interesting. :D I tend to get over-defensive because there are so many popular shonen shows that I just can't seem to get into, and so many people tell me I HAVE to watch them. So, what are your top ten, out of curiosity?

I only have a serious Top 5, after that I list anything I tend to feel positive toward at the moment. :D
Fruits Basket, Excel Saga, Fantastic Children, Hikaru No Go, Sound of the Sky...after that, maybe Last Exile, Pumpkin Scissors, Moribito, Tsukikage Ran, and Galaxy Angel....or maybe other stuff. Anyway, as you can see, only 2 things on that list have more than one season.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If we're just going by anime? These are my top 10:

10. Black Lagoon (24 episodes; not counting the OVAs)
9. Kids on the Slope (12 episodes; and yes it's my new favorite Watanabe show, even over CB)
8. Digimon Tamers (51 episodes)
7. Hunter X Hunter 1999 (62 episodes, or 70 if you count the first OVA series)
6. Trigun (26 episodes)
5. Great Teacher Onizuka (43 episodes)
4. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (6 episodes; and I consider this a story arc)
3. Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (13 episodes)
2. Ashita no Joe 2 (47 episodes)
1. Yu Yu Hakusho (112 episodes)

As you can see, only 3/10 of those are over 50 episodes long. ;)

Now, if this were my favorite manga it would be notably much longer series, but still not exclusively shounen (Monster, 20th Century Boys, and REAL would definitely be on there).

And just for the record I also love Hikaru no Go, though it's been a while since I last re-read it.

Inkwolf

I don't read so many manga...usually just ones where I've seen the anime first.

Kids on the Slope is good. ^^ I bought the DVDs for that one.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 26, 2014, 01:23:25 PM
Quote from: Inkwolf on July 26, 2014, 01:04:54 PMI didn't mean that the best arcs would be long and dull, just that we'd get the most nominations from long series. I mean, not to offend anyone here, but the OP contest seemed to contain way too many One Piece and FMA and Conan and Pokemon OPs. With a story arc competition, I imagine we'd get arcs from similar series...not just because the series are LOOOONG and contain many seasons and many story arcs, but because those seem to be the popular ones.

Blame CX for all of those, that's his fault. :P

I didn't nominate any FMA openings and only one OP opening, so it's not completely my fault.  :humhumhum:

From now on I'm going to try being a bit more selective in my picks, though.

Anyway, I've been thinking about the story arc and fights competitions, and with the former I find my problem is that there'd be too many arcs from series that people haven't seen for there to be consistent interest, unless only the most popular arcs from the most popular series on this board were nominated. And while in the tv shows/animated series/anime competitions you can watch the first episode or something of the shows you haven't seen and make a fair vote, it's a bit unreasonable to expect someone to sit though multiple different episodes of multiple different shows, especially without the context of previous continuity/character development from previous arcs and such. We could narrow the competition to just animated series or anime/manga or something and that could help, but even then I feel there'd still could be too many people haven't seen, even if we go for just 32-64 entries.

The fights competition has similar problems, though I do actually think more than a decent amount of people would be interested (if me, Vlord, EK, GSF, Shadow, and Spark participate that's five people right there). I think we've all read most of the battle anime/manga series that would get nominated so we could just do a short competition of 32-64 entries just for anime/manga fights if that sounds good to y'all.

I'm honestly feeling a bit burned out on anime themes, but I know that's probably the one most people would vote in. However, the protagonists tournament sounds more like a good change of pace, even if the villain tournament is still running. And the fights one could work if it's short and only for anime/manga fights, and that could make a fun break. I'll give it all some more thought and make a nomination thread for one of them tonight or tomorrow.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think the fights one would be a good one to do on the side if we kept it short. If VLord or someone not currently running a competition thread were up to doing it, we could have that running alongside whatever you decide to do next. That said its only if someone else is willing to do it, so I won't hold my breath waiting for that one. Of course, you could always do it yourself sometime later in the future.

As for the 2 most practical ones (heroes and ending themes), I'm good with whichever one you choose to do, though like you I'm a bit burned out on the music themes concept.

gunswordfist

i actually havent read or watched that much so the arc or fight tournament wouldnt get much activity from me. i'd probably completely skip the fight thread due to spoilers.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 25, 2014, 12:59:10 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 25, 2014, 12:51:37 AM
lupin is much better than h.t.
But is Cloverfield better than Codename Kids Next Door?
No, KND is better. I also like Fairy Oddparents' toilet jokes.