Mamoru Hosoda

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 07, 2014, 07:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've....honestly never found much appeal in Miyazaki's work, myself. I respect the guy as a great creator, but I've always felt that there was a certain "human" element missing from his work (for me, personally). I think Hosoda manages to deliver that perfect balance of family entertainment that I crave from Japanese animation, and despite his limited body of work, he has churned out arguably 3 of the greatest feature-length animated films from the past decade (and that's 3 in a row).

Our War Game was pretty much the best thing to come out of Digimon Adventure. Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island isn't a great film, but it's above average for a licensed, non-canon shounen affair, and then we have Hosoda's current trifecta of masterpieces (IMO): The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Wolf Children.

Discuss.

Daikun

Why isn't he taking over Studio Ghibli? I think he'd be a better successor than Miyazaki's son.

Spark Of Spirit

But where's his Pom Poko, Ensatsu-ken? Where's his Pom Poko?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

His next movie has been announced.

EDIT: Also, should this thread be moved to the Anime board? I think it might be more fitting there...

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This totally looks up my alley, and I love the last 3 feature-length Hosoda films. Color me super excited for this new project. I love his ability to create a highly stylized story yet flesh it out with great substance, usually in the form of important family values.

LumRanmaYasha

FUNi has already licensed The Boy and the Beast. In addition, they plan to release it in U.S. theaters for a limited run at the end of this year and give it a wide release in early 2016.

Wow, they have a lot of faith in the film. Hosoda's track record is great, so I'm hoping the film meets expectations and then some.

Spark Of Spirit

Hosoda deserves the push here. I just hope i'm able to see it in theater.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 15, 2015, 04:17:10 PM
Hosoda deserves the push here. I just hope i'm able to see it in theater.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, would you believe that I'm more excited to see a foreign animated film in theaters this holiday season than I am to see the new Star Wars movie? Because I totally am. And I'm saying that as someone who's genuinely hoping for the new Star Wars to be great.

Anyways, you've done good, FUNi, and I just know that the film will receive a quality English dub.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 15, 2015, 06:25:05 PM
Well, would you believe that I'm more excited to see a foreign animated film in theaters this holiday season than I am to see the new Star Wars movie?

Yes, because you've said as much at least a dozen times since the movie was first announced.  :il_hahaha:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Only a dozen? I need to hammer that point in harder until everyone knows that I'm right....and also to remind people that this movie even exists. :humhumhum:

Spark Of Spirit

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Best advertisement for the FUNimation Blu-Ray sets of Hosoda films ever!

No, seriously, I'm going to have to splurge on these now. :drool: