Sailor Moon

Started by LumRanmaYasha, May 16, 2014, 06:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, if you weren't impressed with the earlier part of the show subbed, this wont win you over yet, since this is basically a remake of the first episode. But the show is bound to deviate and become better soon, so I'm still keeping an eye on it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Here's a sneak peak at what Stephanie Sheh's Usagi sounds like.

For me, it'll take some getting use to, especially since I'm so used to the old dub voice, and because her voice comes across as a little too high-pitched right now. However, I'm sure it'll grow on me once I actually watch the dub for a good few episodes.

LumRanmaYasha

Official dub clip!

I still think it'll take me a while to get used to Sheh's Usagi, but the acting is much better than the original dub already. As for Robbie Daymond's Mamorou, I think he's pretty spot-on. I hope Viz releases some more clips, especially some with the other Senshi in them.

LumRanmaYasha

New dub clip.

Michelle Ruff's sounding pretty good as Luna. I'm still used to the old dub voice, though, so like Sheh's Usagi it's going to take some getting used to for me.

Also, here's an interview with some of the dub cast on how they got their roles/their opinions on their characters and the show/etc.

LumRanmaYasha

Avaitor

I just watched the second episode, which is a step in the right direction IMO. There isn't too much to talk about the show yet, but Ami's introduction is strong, and Usagi is a little more bearable here, which is what I was hoping for!

I'm not crazy about the bi-weekly schedule, but the show's decent enough for me to stick around for it to come out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It really helps that they can pace this show out better than the first anime. I remember it took a few episodes until Sailor Mercury joined up in the first anime.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 19, 2014, 06:22:32 PM
It really helps that they can pace this show out better than the first anime. I remember it took a few episodes until Sailor Mercury joined up in the first anime.

That's because they are basically adapting one chapter of the manga per episode with this series. In the manga the first three scouts are introduced one chapter after another, with a bit more time before Minako/Sailor Venus is introduced. Additionally, this arc should only last around 13 episodes in Crystal, compared to 40 episodes as it was in the original anime.

Quote from: Avaitor on July 19, 2014, 04:57:48 PM
Usagi is a little more bearable here, which is what I was hoping for!

Usagi develops into a more mature character much faster (and more consistently), than she did in the first anime. She comes out of this arc a much stronger and capable character than she was at the start, moreso than I feel her first anime counterpart did.

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

Since october of last year, a group of 250+ animators each contributed a single shot in an attempt to reanimate an episode of the original Sailor Moon anime shot by shot in each artist's own personal style.

Now, ten months later, witness the results of their collaboration! - Moon Animate Make-Up!

Avaitor

Oh wow, gotta save that for later.

New blog!

Lord Il

Quote from: Cartoon X on July 20, 2014, 10:05:33 PM
Since october of last year, a group of 250+ animators each contributed a single shot in an attempt to reanimate an episode of the original Sailor Moon anime shot by shot in each artist's own personal style.

Now, ten months later, witness the results of their collaboration! - Moon Animate Make-Up!
That was great! Each style of animation was directed well and blended into each other nicely. Some of the character designs where hilarious. I highly recommend to anyone to give this a watch. You don't even have to be a fan of the series to enjoy this.

LumRanmaYasha

New dub clip, featuring Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, and Jadeite, all of whom I think are sounding pretty good! :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really don't get why this show needs 2 weeks in between each episode. It's not like it has substantially better animation than any other shows. In fact, it's been downright mediocre so far, and the CG is horrible. Of course, as a Toei series that isn't the least bit surprising. For the sake of comparison, just look at a series like HXH, which is over 100 episodes long and released weekly (without any season-long breaks), and the average episode of that even has better animation than the first 3 episodes of Crystal, IMO.

Anyways, as for the episode itself, it's just more standard, formulaic stuff. I'm really just waiting to get to the later arcs. I've only ever managed to watch most of the first arc of this series, and it's no wonder why I always drop it before finishing; it's just so....boring. Even the Saint Beasts arc of Yu Yu Hakusho wasn't this derivative (and that's by far the weakest part of that series).

LumRanmaYasha

Sailor Moon is honestly a pretty standard, formulaic series. I'd say the biggest reason I enjoy the series, or at least the manga, is Usagi's character arc, which I find really well done and paid off beautifully in the final arc (which is a good part of why the final arc is my favorite part of the entire series). In any case, the first arc is the weakest part of the series, since it's mostly set-up to get you introduced to the characters and has the least interesting villains/character growth. I can see how it can be boring to a lot of people, though I do think the later parts of the series do make slugging through the beginning rewarding enough.

I think the real reason this series is bi-weely is because Toei is just working on too much shit right now. They've got a heck-ton of tv anime they are working on plus feature films and such and they've got to be swamped. I don't think they can handle releasing this series weekly, and they can get away with releasing it bi-weekly anyway because SM is so popular internationally fans will wait for it and it won't lose momentum.