Black Lagoon

Started by Foggle, December 23, 2011, 06:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

Wow, I'm actually enjoying this a lot more then I thought I would. It's not my kind of show, but it's a ton of fun.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

With the exception of the story-line with the twins (which I hate), I think it's a terrific action show, with a healthy dose of dark subtext and drama. It also has some interesting characterization, especially once you get to the 2nd season and  the Roberta's Blood Trail OVAs.

The Shadow Gentleman

Finished the first season. I'm not usually interested in cynical series, but this is such a great action show all around. I'll get to the rest of it later, since I still have other stuff to slug through.

Foggle

Yeah, Black Lagoon is definitely one of the most cynical and least hopeful shows I've ever seen... but it still manages to be enjoyable almost the whole way through somehow.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think what makes it great and enjoyable is that it's not up it's own ass with cynicism. There are bright spots to the series as well, including it's dark sense of humor, and on top of that the main characters are actually quite likable. The series can be dark, but it never feels depressing, and it never resorts to cheap shock value like a lot of other series of this kind might make the mistake of doing.

Avaitor

Ah, the pilot is as good as ever.

Who else caught it on Toonami last night? Again or for the first time?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I missed it. To be honest I'm probably not going to watch it regularly on Toonami. I've seen the first half of the show especially several times already and I'd rather just sleep after Dandy so I can get up early in the morning.

When they air the "Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise" arc, though, I'll make sure to tune in.

Daikun

It was pretty damn awesome. :thumbup:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I missed it, but I'm curious to know how much of the language had to be censored.

LumRanmaYasha

According to the Toonzone talkback there were only three bleeps, which were the f-bombs, and all the "shits" remained uncensored.

They also apparently aired the full opening and ending.

Avaitor

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 23, 2014, 06:50:16 PM
According to the Toonzone talkback there were only three bleeps, which were the f-bombs, and all the "shits" remained uncensored.

They also apparently aired the full opening and ending.
Yep.

Cable's been pretty lax with the word shit lately, anyway. Come 10, you're bound to hear it unbeeped on the various channels.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

In celebration of the release of the 10th volume of the Black Lagoon manga, Sunday GX polled fans on what their favorite characters and story arcs were in the series.

...Why the fuck is Gretel fans' #1 favorite character? Not only that, but "Bloodsport Fairy Tale" is the second most popular story arc, with more than double the votes for either "El Babile de la muerte" or "Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise!" C'mon, Japan.  :srs:

But I do find it hilarious that Benny is apparently the least popular character in the series, even below characters that have barely appeared/done jack-shit in the story.  :lol: