The end of "The Series"

Started by Nameless, May 28, 2014, 06:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nameless

Disney has, in the last decade, ceased to produce spin-off TV series based on their movies. Along with the end of the DTV sequels, was this Lasseter's doing?

Daikun

Lasseter announced ending the DTVs years ago. They're still making CGI Tinker Bell movies, though. :??:

Gosh, when was the last time Disney made a TV spinoff series of one of their movies? Didn't that end with the One Saturday Morning era? I'm pretty sure that practice ceased long before Disney acquired Pixar.

gunswordfist

Whoa, I had no clue. But then again, even as a kid, I barely watched Disney plus I haven't seen any of their movies in like over 3 years. Probably more.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daxdiv

The last movie I can recall that got a series was Emperor's New Groove, which was Emperor's New School. It does seem that Disney is more focusing on more original programming.

Nameless

I can't blame anyone here for not noticing. Most of those shows were, to my recollection, nothing to write home about; however, the 101 Dalmatians one does kind of baffle me for its deviation from the source material (though it has its strong moments, there are many more weaknesses) and the Lilo & Stitch one kept the spirit of the source material within it and is probably my favorite of them.

Commode

I always hated that 101 Dalmations cartoon, but for some reason I remember the show getting a strange amount of love on toon zone.  Terrible show.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Skeeter Valentine

Quote from: Comeau on May 28, 2014, 11:08:17 PM
I always hated that 101 Dalmations cartoon, but for some reason I remember the show getting a strange amount of love on Toon Zone.  Terrible show.

Because the furries there love the show. Specifically they wanted to fuck the girl dog, whatever her name was.

Disney doesn't care that much for television animation anymore. Plus they no longer need shows with large episode counts since they don't strip weekdays anymore.

Nameless

The girl dog's name is Cadpig. I found her to be one of the few redeeming things about the show (I saw her as an outlet for the frustrated writers), but I didn't want to fuck her.

It is a bit irksome how Disney has been so sloppy with Gravity Falls, and I don't think there's been a new animated Disney Channel show announced since Wander Over Yonder.

Daikun

Quote from: Nameless on May 29, 2014, 12:25:42 AMIt is a bit irksome how Disney has been so sloppy with Gravity Falls, and I don't think there's been a new animated Disney Channel show announced since Wander Over Yonder.

At least they're good shows. If they're being selective with this caliber of quality, then that's probably a good thing

Avaitor

Quote from: Daikun on May 28, 2014, 07:01:08 PM
Lasseter announced ending the DTVs years ago. They're still making CGI Tinker Bell movies, though. :??:
Yeah, that was a quick concession. Lasseter got them to agree to stop doing most DTVs, but Disney was so sure that the Fairies line would be a perfect compliment to the Princesses, that they agreed to make the movies as prequel exceptions.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Looks like 101 Dalmatians is getting ANOTHER animated series next year.
https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/874700170990145539

Nameless

The 1997 show had its issues, but it at least looked like the source material. Are they going to be more human-like in this one?

Avaitor

This looks like The Loud House with puppies.

Until we see more, I'm not very interested.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

I think this thread deserves a bit of a title modification, since Disney is really bringing back "The Series."

-The Lion Guard has been running for two years on Disney Junior.
-Tangled: The Series premiered last year.
-Big Hero 6 premiered its pilot (even if they're taking forever to air the rest of the season).
-Today's big surprise: An animated Rocketeer series! Wow, okay.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daikun on February 27, 2018, 11:23:08 PM
I think this thread deserves a bit of a title modification, since Disney is really bringing back "The Series."

-The Lion Guard has been running for two years on Disney Junior.
-Tangled: The Series premiered last year.
-Big Hero 6 premiered its pilot (even if they're taking forever to air the rest of the season).
-Today's big surprise: An animated Rocketeer series! Wow, okay.

27 years late, but....cool???