Orange is the New Black

Started by Avaitor, May 31, 2014, 06:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

So the next season is up this Friday, which means it's just about time that I started this thread up. If you were to ask me what the best show on TV right now is, I'd say that there's a fight to the death between Jaime Lannister and Hannibal Lecter to decide, in which Hannibal reaches out to gnaw on Jaime's other hand, only to get shanked in the neck, while Tyrion and Will Graham watch and drink wine. Also, everyone is played by Tatiana Maslany.

But the best TV show currently being made? This insight into present-day life for women. It's consistently funny while always being sharply compromising, and made for what might just be the best first season of any show ever made. It received more streams from Netflix in its first week than House of Cards and Arrested Development for a reason.

So yeah, if you haven't seen the show yet, I'd recommend it. Hopefully we can talk about the second season in a week or so as well!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I love this show. It's my favorite show currently running, actually (though I admit I'm not caught up on GOT, but as far as first seasons go I give OITNB the edge). Excellent character drama and wonderfully carved relationships with some great sense of humor plot and character development to boot. I'm so excited to watch the second season next Friday. Maybe I can get my dad and Vlord to watch the first season before then so we all can watch it together.  :D

Avaitor

Top 5 characters-

5- Do not illegally download music!
4- The one that doesn't poop.
3- Barbecue sauce on my titties, like what the fuck, again?
2- Vanilla and vanilla, swirl swirl!
1- All I wanted was to eat the chicken, that is smarter than other chickens, and absorb it's power.

And an honorable mention to Patti Mayonnaise the murder.

Edit: Oh, and Sophia! Too many great characters to name.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Well I marathoned season 2, and wow, I think it was even better than the first! The turf war was a surprisingly good addition, and this batch gave us welcome looks into the worlds of Taystee, Poussey, and Crazy Eyes. The lack of Alex was noticeable, but she would have been lost for most of it. Chapman was herself, which is why most of her story had little to do with most of the other prisoners.

It also wasn't as directly funny as last season, but that's fine, since the dramatic beats were spot on throughout. I'm already psyched for season 3.

New blog!

Commode

Just finished up the binge watching the first season this weekend.  Pretty funny show, although I notice on the 'net lots of people don't like characters like Piper, I honestly don't mind her, just don't see the hate.  I do get weirded out by Patty Mayonnaise being in this though.

Will watch the second season over the coming days.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Man, people just love to find the most pointless things to complain about in popular shows, don't they?

Avaitor

Yeah, personally, I'm grateful that OITNB doesn't cater to the needs of men like EVERY OTHER SHOW does. The female cast is so diverse, and just about all of the prisoners that have had some focus are well-layered, which makes the show so fresh. True, the male characters aren't as captivating (Chapman's brother is my favorite, and we don't see him that often), but who cares?

New blog!

Avaitor

I finished season 3 of OITNB yesterday, and I have to admit, it took me a while, but the season really grew on me. It seemed unfocused and tired at first, and while there are some weaker moments abound, there is definitely a strong theme that keeps it going. The lake scene especially helped bring it all together, gorgeously.

And I'm happy to see some characters get some much-needed attention, primarily Chang, Norma, and Leanne. Even Soso was better developed than I was expecting.

But damn, Chapman is cold. Go her.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Season 4 is some of the most emotionally draining and soul crushing television I've watched in a long time. I don't remember the last time I've been so shocked and outraged at events in a television show. That season cliffhanger is cruel. I don't know if I can bear waiting a year to see what happens next. But personally...

Spoiler
...I hope Daya shoots that psychopath bastard. And I hope MCC and Piscatella and his crew get what's coming to them. Poussey deserves justice. They ALL deserve justice...
[close]

Avaitor

Spoiler
They do. Although I'm not sure why it was Daya who got the gun, especially when she didn't do much this season.

I'm still very bitter about Poussey's death, though. It shouldn't have been her. I've read a piece saying that if it was Janae in her place, this would have came out stronger. But the important thing is that her death shouldn't have been an accident. since making it seem like it was is disrespectful to the victims whose deaths the writers were trying to parallel.
[close]

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Spoiler

Quote from: Avaitor on June 25, 2016, 08:24:32 AM
They do. Although I'm not sure why it was Daya who got the gun, especially when she didn't do much this season.

Ever since she started hanging out with Maria's crew, Gloria's been telling her nothing good will come of it and she'll inevitably get into trouble or make a stupid decision, but she kept ignoring her and has became more haughty and reckless in their company. And now, wanting to show off how tough she is and goaded on by literally every inmate at Lichtfield, she's about to make an impulsive and terrible decision just like Gloria and Aleida worried she would. Though I personally hope she goes through with it, because that psycho Humphrey needs comeuppance for what he did to Maritza and Crazy Eyes, but obviously if she does there's going to be dire consequences that will destroy her chances of ever getting out.

Quote from: Avaitor on June 25, 2016, 08:24:32 AM
I'm still very bitter about Poussey's death, though. It shouldn't have been her. I've read a piece saying that if it was Janae in her place, this would have came out stronger. But the important thing is that her death shouldn't have been an accident. since making it seem like it was is disrespectful to the victims whose deaths the writers were trying to parallel.

I think that's the point, though. We're supposed to feel bitter and outraged. It wasn't right. Poussey wasn't involved in the plot to oust Piscatella, and the storylines she was involved with this season, the Judy King stuff and her romance with Soso, were decidedly light-hearted. She didn't have it out for anyone or hold any grudges to be blown up. She was planning for her future, he life outside of Lichtfield. During the protest, she didn't lash out violently - she was only trying to help calm her friend. And yet, she was murdered. That's what I think makes her death so powerful, because she's a person who you wouldn't expect and didn't think could die this way, but that's exactly what happened. It could have been another character, sure, but I think there were few else in this season in particular whose death would elicit such shock, bitterness, and anger from every viewer or all the characters from a storytelling standpoint. It gets a strong, powerful reaction that's impossible not to have strong feelings about and will haunt your mind for a long time after watching it, and it also makes it's point very clear. If someone as gentle and harmless as Poussey could die so awfully, any one of them can, none of them are safe, and things in Lichtfield need to change and they need to change now.

Obviously I can only speak from a matter of perspective, not experience, but I don't see her death as disrespectful. I think it's very likely many people who die in prison die in accidents like this; not victims of intent or malice, but of poor oversight and callous disregard for human rights and dignity. The web of faults for Poussey's death extends beyond Bailey's inexperience and to Piscatella's loose canon management, the borderline psychopathy and history of poor treatment perpetuated by his men, and MCC's questionable hiring practices and profit-minded bottom-line approach to running the prison. It was only a matter of time before someone died as a consequence of this, and the fact the person who did was so removed from all the prison politics and was killed by someone who never set out to harm anyone makes what happened all the more powerful. It was an accident, but it was an accident that could have so easily been prevented in so many ways, and that's what makes it so infuriating and frustrating, as I think it's meant to. If anything, I think the fact that it was an accident caused by a greenhorn kid in over his head is more powerful and visceral a statement about the poor management and disregard for human life in the prison than if she had been intentionally singled-out and murdered by one of Piscatella's crueler and sadistic henchmen like Humphrey.
[close]

Avaitor

Spoiler
It's hard for me to say what is and wasn't justified about this part of the arc, since I'm white, and I should stay in my lane. All I know is that Piscatello is no good, nor is his crew.
[close]

I'm still not crazy about every movement the show took here, but this is still a good season. I do like it better than the last one, and I'm keeping with the show no matter what. It's one of the best of the decade, no question.

New blog!