Disney shows from the late '90s and early 2000s

Started by Nameless, June 09, 2014, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nameless

I've noticed that most of their animated ones from this time, barring Recess, Kim Possible and Dave the Barbarian, don't get talked about much. I don't hear much about them from the nostalgia crowd, and I know Disney themselves certainly aren't jogging peoples' memories.

Am I imagining things?

gunswordfist

Beats me, this is the only animation forum I'm on. :D I do remember seeing little to no GoofTroop, Darkwing Duck or TaleSpin discussion back on tv.com though and those were my favorites.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nameless

I'm somewhat fond of Pepper Ann and that seems to have few fans these days...

gunswordfist

I forgot that was Disney. I liked that show. Probably my favorite show starring a girl that's not in a group.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

You obviously weren't here when American Dragon was on. :P

But from this era, I'm also especially fond of The Weekenders, which holds up as well as ever for me. Recess is also pretty good, but I've never been as enthusiastic about that as Weekenders. House of Mouse is another one that I liked when I was younger, and I've been considering checking it out again recently.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

It wasn't a bad era altogether. I do prefer the late 80s to mid-90s stuff, but they did come out with some great stuff after that material.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Zelek

What are we defining as late 90s/early 2000s here? 1997-2006?

I've probably said this before (on the NoHomers Club), but I find it funny how nostalgia has changed people's attitudes towards Disney Channel in such a short amount of time. For example: seven years ago, "90s kids" hated the mid-00s Disney Channel stuff like High School Musical, Zack and Cody, Hannah Montana, American Dragon: Jake Long, The Replacements, Phil of the Future, Life with Derek, The Emperor's New School, The Buzz on Maggie, and Dave the Barbarian (not to say ALL of these shows are bad, however) and wanted back Boy Meets World, Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, Recess, The Weekenders, Pepper Ann, Sister Sister, and Teacher's Pet.

But now, on sites like Twitter and Tumblr, there are 16-20 year olds yearning for the "good ol' days" of Hannah Montana and High School Musical and saying how they feel sorry for kids who have to grow up with Shake It Up and A.N.T. Farm (I haven't seen these shows, but apparently they make fun of eating disorders). I also see a lot of nostalgia for Zack and Cody, American Dragon, and Phil of the Future, and Dave the Barbarian. Even "bad" shows like The Replacements, The Emperor's New School, and The Buzz on Maggie have their share of fans.

Commode

The only time I've ever watched The Disney Channel in the last decade or so is when they randomly air one of the Disney canon films, like Aladdin or even Bolt.  I still maintain that the channel was best in the early to mid 90s before it became a regular basic cable channel(I received it even though it was supposed to be a premium channel), and I haven't really watched any of their series since Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens(except for Phineas and Ferb, but I think it kinda sucks).  I guess I should give Gravity Falls a shot(I watched the pilot) though.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Nameless

Quote from: Avaitor on June 09, 2014, 10:20:24 AM
You obviously weren't here when American Dragon was on. :P

But from this era, I'm also especially fond of The Weekenders, which holds up as well as ever for me. Recess is also pretty good, but I've never been as enthusiastic about that as Weekenders. House of Mouse is another one that I liked when I was younger, and I've been considering checking it out again recently.

American Dragon was past my cutoff for "early 2000s", which was 2004. I do remember when American Dragon was popular on TZ...

Avaitor

Y'no, I wasn't alive when the Disney Afternoon started, and by the time I was old enough to have remembered watching it, the block had already peaked and most of its best shows (Gargoyles aside) had already come and gone, so I ended up watching them in other ways as a kid. A tape here, a weekly promo of the channel there, and a good amount of Toon Disney when I got it. Yet that's the era of Disney's TV animation that I consider to be the strongest.

I am hesitant about certain episodes of most of the shows up to Gargoyles (and a lot of Rescue Rangers and Bonkers' material in particular), but they're all mostly good shows that I'd probably enjoy as much now if they were on today. I was around the right age to watch Disney's later cartoons, but most of them didn't interest me as much as the Disney Afternoon shows did or still do.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Skeeter Valentine

Kim Possible was enormously popular on TZ back in the day. Despite having cliche characters and ridiculously shitty animation.

Nameless

I pulled up an episode of it on YouTube not long ago, the first one produced to be specific. I enjoyed it as a kid but good god that show has not aged well; I couldn't even make it past the first minute or so.

Also, Brandy & Mr. Whiskers was awful, shoddily-animated dreck that's best left forgotten. What came over Disney back then, anyway? 101 Dalmatians: The Series, KP, and Brandy & Mr. Whiskers were all plagued with noticeably subpar animation...

Skeeter Valentine

They stopped using their in-house studios and started exclusively farming out to Korea.

Avaitor

It's still a minority opinion to not like KP today, so it's a bit refreshing to see it have a lukewarm reception here.

I really don't think that it's a bad show, but if any Disney animated series deserved to be called overrated, it's this one.

New blog!

Nameless

Quote from: Skeeter Valentine on June 14, 2014, 07:57:11 AM
They stopped using their in-house studios and started exclusively farming out to Korea.

Whatever QC measures they had hadn't seemed to catch up by then...that or their budgeting was a bit out of whack.