What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Thunderbolts (Ellis Run) - Proof that Civil War wasn't complete shit. If you're a fan of Norman Osborn, you'll love this comic.

Incognito Bad Influences - A bit like if Raymond Chandler wrote a superhero story. Would definitely recommend.

Buffy Season 9 #1 - Great that it's nowhere near of a clusterfuck as the ending of S8 was. Still wary though.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on September 15, 2011, 06:08:32 PM
Thunderbolts (Ellis Run) - Proof that Civil War wasn't complete shit. If you're a fan of Norman Osborn, you'll love this comic.

Incognito Bad Influences - A bit like if Raymond Chandler wrote a superhero story. Would definitely recommend.

Buffy Season 9 #1 - Great that it's nowhere near of a clusterfuck as the ending of S8 was. Still wary though.
The Incognito sequel? I've been waiting to get that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Angus

Scott Pilgrim volumes look interesting so far. Definitely more backstory than the movie.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

Quote from: Angus on September 19, 2011, 05:16:24 PM
Scott Pilgrim volumes look interesting so far. Definitely more backstory than the movie.
I love Scott Pilgrim. :thumbup:

gunswordfist

Please give me some recommendations.

Dr. Insomniac

gunswordfist

Dr. Insomniac

gunswordfist

:whuh: May I have another recommendation?

Angus

Quote from: gunswordfist on September 20, 2011, 09:46:11 AM
Quote from: Angus on September 19, 2011, 05:16:24 PM
I love Scott Pilgrim. :thumbup:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2009/07/28/the-best-video-game-moments-in-scott-pilgrim/

I also like the footnote "blog" page in the book where he listed Death Note and Azumanga Daioh among his favorite mangas.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Pharass

Scalped has been on my "to-read" list awhile now, it's about high time I actually checked it out. So many comics, so little time.

The last two comics I read were Amy; the second volume of Le Pouvoir des Innocents by Hirn & Brunschwig and Le Trepassé de Kermellec, the first volume of L'Epervier by Pellerin.

Volume 2 in Brunschwig & Hirn's political thriller about the mayoral election in NY, manages to be even more gripping than the first: The characters grow and become more involving  and the mysterious conspiracy becomes more complex and byzantine with each new revelation. I'm convinced that this comic would be a success if someone bothered to translate it into English. Still three volumes to go, but this is already one of the greatest comics I've read in a long time.

As for L'Epervier, it's a classic adventure tale of finest quality, complete with a charismatic hero, falsely accused for a crime he didn't commit, a colorful supporting cast and dastardly villains.  Great, very entertaining stuff.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Hime

The recent one I've been reading is Shokora no Mahou (Magic Chocolate). It's like a sweet version of xxxHolic :blush:

gunswordfist

Last week I read Sleeper Book 2 and yesterday I read New X-Men Volume 1 and Incognito Bad Influence. I'm obviously a Brubaker/Sean Phillips fan plus I have Criminal: Coward that I'll be reading soon.

Pharass

Recently I read the second volume of 100 Bullets.  A very compelling read indeed, I liked the first volume but the second one was even better, mostly because there's a sense that a huge, sweeping storyline is about to unfold from the short-stories in the first volume. Agent Graves, who at first seemed to be Nemesis incarnate, providing those who had been wronged in the past with the means of getting even, is clearly working towards some specific goal, it shall be interesting to see what it is.

I could easily see 100 Bullets become a TV-show on HBO or something. I'd watch it.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Pharass on October 29, 2011, 01:43:15 PM
Recently I read the second volume of 100 Bullets.  A very compelling read indeed, I liked the first volume but the second one was even better, mostly because there's a sense that a huge, sweeping storyline is about to unfold from the short-stories in the first volume. Agent Graves, who at first seemed to be Nemesis incarnate, providing those who had been wronged in the past with the means of getting even, is clearly working towards some specific goal, it shall be interesting to see what it is.

I could easily see 100 Bullets become a TV-show on HBO or something. I'd watch it.
My absolute favorite comic book series. ;D

Over the last few days I've read:
New X-Men Volume 1
Incognito Bad Influences
DMZ Volume 10- I don't really like it when they do the whole "let's tell short stories of all these other characters" thing but they did it so well this time, even though the main character was pushed to a small part at the end of the book. Good comeback though.