Author Topic: What Are You Reading?  (Read 58534 times)

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
Re: What Are You Reading?
« Reply #1350 on: April 12, 2017, 04:22:19 PM »
If you don't like the Arlong Park arc then you probably won't like the series as a whole. It takes a bit to get rolling.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #1351 on: April 12, 2017, 04:23:10 PM »
One Piece takes a while to grow on some people, and like many series, it's probably harder to fall in love with the older you get and the more exposure to similar stories you have. Many find Arlong Park to be the arc that sold them on the series, so I'm curious to see your reactions when you get to there (it would be around the 3rd omnibus).

Since I own the first 8 omnibi, I can tell you guys for certain that it starts in the third one but mostly takes place in the fourth omnibi and runs through a bit into the fifth one.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Slave To The System
    • Email
« Reply #1352 on: April 12, 2017, 04:26:13 PM »
I'll give it until at least the fifth, but I won't get to reading it regularly. Like right now, I used a gift card I won for the local comic book store from their Disney trivia event to pick up the first Immortal Iron Fist set, and I just ordered the first Princess Knight set as well.

But I'm still interested in giving OP more of a shot. It's not my top priority right now, but I can do more than just read the first few volumes.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #1353 on: April 13, 2017, 03:24:26 PM »
Oh boy, read the latest chapter. Shit's about to go down! :shakeshakeshake:

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Slave To The System
    • Email
« Reply #1354 on: April 19, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
So I have to admit, I'm not very familiar with Iron Fist. I've read some of his original run, but I was not impressed by it, and while his stuff with Luke is more appealing, I just never got around to checking and getting into much of his own stuff. I've read the first 7 issues of Immortal Iron Fist so far, and whatever doubts I've had with the character are removed here. I think this is terrific stuff.

Too bad that most of the people who worked on the show didn't seem to read it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

• Elite Beat Agents
  • Slave To The System
    • Email
« Reply #1355 on: April 19, 2017, 10:50:04 PM »
YAY!!! Immortal Iron Fist is the good shit! I nominated it years ago for a reason.
I have been thinking about how, funny enough, those comics are just as dark as the show. But of course with much better writing and just as much lighter elements. Iron Fist would be better off as a mystical big budget movie series. TV can't handle it. I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw K'un Lun or that Danny never gets more than a glowing skeleton fist in the show.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Slave To The System
    • Email
« Reply #1356 on: April 20, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »
We eventually get to see a little bit of K'un Lun, but it's basically too little too late at that point, and not too memorable. One of my biggest problems with the show was its refusal to delve into Danny's training or experiences until the very end. I understand that it wouldn't be cheap to bring a lot of this to screen, but you know what? In that case, don't make an Iron Fist show.

My copy of Vertical's first Princess Knight collection came in the mail. I was skimming through it, and I'm in awe of Tezuka's work here. His Disney influence is still felt, but you can tell that his style was in full effect here. But I'm kind of mad at myself for ordering it, since the second set is not cheap to order at all. Even Vertical's site has it sold out. So it's almost like I'm teasing myself.

New blog!