What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

In case anybody was interested in reading some Guardians of the Galaxy, here's the guide to read that. Much less convoluted than the Morrison guide, but I'm pretty sure half of these books require a long trip to Amazon to buy.
Spoiler
[close]

gunswordfist

You automatically win for recommending Annihilation.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I came across Y The Last Man Princess Jellyfish at my local BAM, both newly stocked there. I was tempted to pick both of them up since I know that Avaitor is a big fan of the former and that Lum considers the latter to be one of his favorites. Unfortunately, I decided to hold off on both since I'm depositing a large sum of money in an investment account and thus want to save up my money for a while before I start buying more stuff.

In the meanwhile I have primarily been switching between manga and comic books. On the manga side of things I'm reading Weekly Shonen Jump on a regular basis while finishing about one volume of Blade of the Immortal per week, though I will also have to take a break from the latter since I don't want to buy anymore full volumes until after my next two pay-checks, especially since I have some monthly bills coming up.

On the comic book side of things I have mostly been reading Batman stuff, in addition to some Daredevil on the side (I really want to get around to that Frank Miller omnibus collection for DD). Most recently I have started reading Nightwing from DC Rebirth, and I'm working my way through Judd Winick's run on Batman which I will immediately follow up with Grant Morrison's run (both Batman and Son along with R.I.P. have been sitting in my collection for over a month, at this point).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finished Volume One of Nightwing from DC Rebirth and really enjoyed it. Probably about as much as King's Batman from DC Rebirth as well. If other series from this reboot are as entertaining and easy to follow as these two are, I might check out more stuff from the current Rebirth era. I will say that I wasn't too big on The Night of the Monster Men crossover, though. It felt way too underwhelming for a premise as awesome-sounding as Batman and company fighting Kaiju.

In the meantime, though, while I'm saving up money for more comics, I still plan to read more stuff from Grant Morrison and Frank Miller (and maybe more of Mark Waid's Flash run if I can find it) first since those two writers seem to have material that I find to be the most interesting.

On the manga side of things I'm up through volume eleven of Blade of the Immortal, but will have to take a forced break from that as well for now until I can afford to buy some more volumes.

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 30, 2017, 02:10:23 PM

So this was published in the letters page for a Marvel comic.

Huh. That anon's message made it in after all.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finished volume 2 of Nightwing from DC Rebirth. I don't think that I'd want to go out of my way to read other Nightwing comics like I have for Batman, but I really do enjoy his Rebirth material and will probably continue reading it digitally via the single issues. If I was to be honest, I may even like it just a smidge more than Batman's Rebirth serialization, but I also plan to read further along in that as well, of course.

Markness

I finished reading Book One of Geoff Johns' run of Teen Titans and I feel like I've majorly made up for lost time since I used to see the first TPB of it at the library I work at but never read it.

I also read the Power Girl Power Trip TPB that also features Geoff Johns as the writer. It was a fun read although opinions on it are very YMMV.

I plan on reading my IvX trades of Extraordinary X-Men and Uncanny X-Men once I get the IvX All New X-Men trade.

Dr. Insomniac

Secret Empire is finally over and done with. It was a joy to read it just to see how dumb it could get, peaking with Tony Stark's ghost getting the upper hand against Hydracap because he discovered an Inhuman who could barf out pieces of the Cosmic Cube. As a serious comic book, it failed at everything it set out to do (exploring Steve's vices and darker personality traits? Nah, he's actually a doppelganger and the real Steve was hiding all along! Analyzing and figuring out how America could succumb to HYDRA's control? No, just let it happen in a snap and do nothing with the premise beyond a few paper-thin allegories). But as a comedy, it's quite successful.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It really is rather amusing how painfully lacking in self-awareness that some people at Marvel are that they would present something of this nature or the X-Men Holocaust as serious story-telling that's supposed to please readers.

In other news I read Batman and Son by Grant Morrison. I'm not sure what to make of this one honestly. It's probably my least favorite thing that I've read of his so far, but in all honesty I can't really tell if I actually dislike it or not. It's more that I had too much trouble following it past a certain point. Like, the actual story-line involving Damien Wayne only took up roughly a third of the actual book, and finding him to be an insufferable little shit, it was a bit hard to get invested in that plot. I have no idea what the fuck was up with that all-text Joker story, and don't think that I'll ever quite make sense of what was going through Morrison's head with that one. Then there was a story-line that started and got Interrupted with another story-line before concluding at the end of the volume. I actually liked the middle bit with Batman solving a murder mystery in the Club of Heroes. Any throwback to Batman's days of actual detective work is good stuff in my eyes. The other story-line about The Black Glove was really confusing and all over the place, though. I wasn't sure who was doing what or why they were doing it.

Perhaps this is just a sign that I really do need to read all of Grant Morrison's work in sequential order....or I just don't get this particular story.

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, Batman and Son is a rough ride. I don't know a single person who read it and didn't hate Damian. But the Batmen of All Nations was a fun idea that I wish was still going in the comics.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Is that Batman Incorporated, or am I thinking of a completely different comic?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 14, 2017, 04:19:30 PM
Is that Batman Incorporated, or am I thinking of a completely different comic?
Kind of, the Batmen of all Nations are part of Batman Inc alongside the main Bat-family.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just picked up the first two volumes of Y: The Last Man. I'm really looking forward into delving into this one just based on the Children of Men-esque premise alone.

I also got Volume 3 of Tom King's Batman run, which just popped up on the shelf at my local BAM. No sign of Nightwing Volume 3 yet, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, so just out of curiosity, where's the comic where Tim Drake dies? I've seen it referenced like five times between Batman and Nightwing Rebirth, and I can't even fathom how many more times it'll come up if I read Detective Comics, Batgirl, and other Batmen-related comics. You win DC. Now just tell me which fucking story that is and stop beating me over the head with it.

Spark Of Spirit

Tim Drake dies? Criminy, DC has a hate of the poor kid.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton