What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

So whether it's right in front of you or on your backlog, what comics are you reading?

For me, I'm still hanging on to Birds of Prey.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm currently reading One Piece and Bakuman as far as currently running shounen series go, as well as the current GTO run (which is also quite good).

I'm also almost done reading Bokurano.

I need to get back to reading 20th Century Boys.

Also, someone still needs to recommend me any good comics involving Dr. Strange....

Spark Of Spirit

Just read the newest chapter of Vinland Saga. I think this is a good chance to say you guys should start reading this one. The newest chapter finally answered some questions and seems to indicate it'll really begin rolling out soon. I like these slower character based chapters, but it will be nice to see the plot starting to move again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I started reading Saga of the Swamp Thing, since I got the first two volumes for Christmas.

Only three issues in, and I'm digging it so far. I like how it's written like an old horror comic from the 50's before the comics code was put up, but with enough clever scientific logic to make it stand out.

Can't wait to get more into it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I'm back to reading Tokyo Crazy Paradise after getting derailed from it for so long. I still really like this one, and it is a constant reminder that I should look into more shojo.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Pharass

The second volume of the french translation of "El Eternauta" arrived in the mail today, so I've been busy reading that; hands down one of the finest alien invasion stories I can think of in any media. On the manga-front, I'm currently reading "Lone Wolf & Cub", which is also terrific stuff and something I'd recommend to anyone who likes well-drawn, tightly plotted comics.

Oh, and allow me to join Desensitized in the "Vinland Saga" praise. Askeladd in particular is one of my favorite characters ever.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

I found my local library yesterday and since I already put some stuff on hold weeks ago, they had the following waiting on me:

The Walking Dead Volume 13
Batman Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?
Invincible Ultimate Collection Volume 5
Scott Pilgrim Volume 3
The Invincible Iron Man Volume 1
DMZ Book 1

Oh, I forgot to mention, on New Year's Eve to New Year's I read Scott Pilgrim volume 1. Now that's the way to bring in 2011. I am officially hooked. Sucks that my library had volume 3 for me before volume 2 but I'll wait. I got the Batman comic thanks to Insomniac's recommendation, DMZ off of a website's recommendation, same goes for Invincible Iron Man and I plan on reading The Walking Dead and then Invincible first since they are my two favorite currently running series. Kirkman is the best of today. I also put Planetary on hold thanks to Insomniac's rec and he reminded me to try and get Incognito. I also plan on getting two Wolverine comics, a Punisher and the first volume of Deadpool's series. And since all the DVDs I just got are based on comics, I'll list them too:

Batman Volume 2 Disc 1
Saint Seiya V. 10 and 11
Outlaw Star Collection 1 and 2 (at least I think OS has a comic, lol)

I have Collection 3 at the library but I can only check out 5 DVDs at a time. Also, I got the wrong Batman because I've already seen it. I watched Night of the Ninja anyway today and the Mad Hatter episode where he puts Batman in a dream world....up until the part where Batman starts dreaming then I took it out.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Pharass on January 03, 2011, 12:44:45 PM
The second volume of the french translation of "El Eternauta" arrived in the mail today, so I've been busy reading that; hands down one of the finest alien invasion stories I can think of in any media. On the manga-front, I'm currently reading "Lone Wolf & Cub", which is also terrific stuff and something I'd recommend to anyone who likes well-drawn, tightly plotted comics.

Oh, and allow me to join Desensitized in the "Vinland Saga" praise. Askeladd in particular is one of my favorite characters ever.
You get a 'Fuck yeah.' from me for reading Lone Wolf And Cub. The movies are at the very top of my list of movies to watch. After I watch the rest, I'll read Samurai Executioner then go onto Lone Wolf & Cub.

Angus

Are the FMP light novels available in the US? Wish my library could carry those.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The first 3 are, and Tokyopop had announced that they planned to have the 4th and 5th volumes released later this year.

gunswordfist

Yesterday I read The Walking Dead Volume 13 and Invincible Ultimate Collection Volume 5.

TWD moved along the story just fine. Invincible reminded me how much I could care less about the Image universe. Invincible's cast is fine but I don't give a shit about those other Image characters. I wish they had more story in V. 5. They only had one issue for the really important part but they did have some good development for Mark and another character I won't spoil. But yeah, I want to see more of the important shit and less of Mark's shitty Earth villains.

I also read Batman Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader? today.

gunswordfist

I read Invincible Iron Man a few days ago. The first story was great, the second showed me how fucking stupid Dark Reign is.

Angus

"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

skyesweetcherry

The book I'm reading is "The Second Life Of Bree Tanner"...

March 5th - Sterling Knight's Birthday :D

Pharass

Started reading Historie by Hitoshi Iwaaki yesterday and so far it's been excellent. For those of you haven't heard of it, Historie is a historical manga about Eumenes, the secretary and advisor to Alexander the Great.

Between this and Vinland Saga there seem to be on-going trend among manga-artists in the seinen category to make well-researched and gripping manga about historical characters and moments from western civilisation. Personally, I hope this continues for awhile, since both of the aforementioned examples are awesome (I've heard good things about Cesare as well, but haven't checked it out yet).
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.