Let's talk Disney movies!

Started by talonmalon333, January 04, 2011, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

:whuh:

Alright, here's the deal folks. I'm here to make men out of all you wimps. I'll name a Disney film, talk about it, and you'll give your opinions. There'll be no questions, no complaints, and no time for stragglers. Any comments you have can be directed at me, and if I don't like it, you're out!

ANY QUESTIONS?! :devil:

GOOD! The Disney movies will actually be my top ten favorites, starting from the bottom and working from the top. Today I will place #10, but tomorrow will move onto 9. With that out of the way, let us start.

I know not all of you are the biggest fans of this one, but I really like it. It was, if I remember correctly, the beginning of the Disney Renaissance and started the line of their musicals. The animation is also nice.

I love "Part of Your World". It's such a nice song, and Disney seems to think the same. "Poor, Unfortunate Souls" is also a really good one. That's probably one of the better Disney songs. And of course there's "Under the Sea", though I prefer those first two.

Yeah there are some problems with it. Ariel isn't exactly the best character, and some parts aren't very memorable to me. The cover of the VHS is also questionable. LOL. But the good parts are enough for it to be on this list!

But I'm just a single voice in the crowd. What say you all?

Avaitor

It's good, but never been one of my favorites. I'd probably like Ariel more if she was a little smarter. A lot of her decisions ruin it for me at points.

I also don't think that the animation is all that nice. There's a lot of off-model shots, the early uses of CAPS were uneffective, and the water effects were a little lazy.

That said, there's quite a bit of good in the movie. The music is great, Sebastian is an entertaining character, Ursula is a fun villain, and there are some impressive sequences.

I don't think Little Mermaid will ever be a favorite, but I still actively rewatch it on occasions, and I'm usually entertained.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 04, 2011, 07:09:32 PM
It's good, but never been one of my favorites. I'd probably like Ariel more if she was a little smarter. A lot of her decisions ruin it for me at points.

I also don't think that the animation is all that nice. There's a lot of off-model shots, the early uses of CAPS were uneffective, and the water effects were a little lazy.

That said, there's quite a bit of good in the movie. The music is great, Sebastian is an entertaining character, Ursula is a fun villain, and there are some impressive sequences.

I don't think Little Mermaid will ever be a favorite, but I still actively rewatch it on occasions, and I'm usually entertained.

I guess I agree about the animation. There are FAR better looking films. As for water effects, as much as you might find it over rated, you gotta agree that Finding Nemo looks AMAZING. ;)

Avaitor

Well now we're going from hand-drawn to computer animated.

But yeah, the animation in Finding Nemo is great.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 04, 2011, 09:15:52 PM
Well now we're going from hand-drawn to computer animated.

But yeah, the animation in Finding Nemo is great.

:imnothappy:

I guess that's true.

SSJ Jake

I thought the movie worked better than Hans Christian Andersen's original story, with Ariel wanting to be human so she can be like them and be with Prince Eric rather than so she can have a soul and be with the prince, her fate where she turns back into a mermaid instead of dying if Eric didn't  kiss her on the third day and the Sea Witch turned into a far more interesting character. But despite my signature is it one of my favorite Disney movies? Not really. I re-watched it recently and the best parts were with Ursula when she was scheming and plotting against King Triton, the song "Poor Unfortunate Souls" itself a ploy for her to somehow gain control of his throne. While the movie has some other fun parts too a lot of it seems like it would appeal to mostly children. And I agree with Avaitor that Ariel's not the sharpest female protagonist in movies. Hell even Pocahontas is stronger than her.

So yeah good movie but not in my opinion one of the best.

YOU AM NO REAL SUPER SAND

talonmalon333

Quote from: SSJ Jake on January 04, 2011, 10:23:09 PM
I thought the movie worked better than Hans Christian Andersen's original story, with Ariel wanting to be human so she can be like them and be with Prince Eric rather than so she can have a soul and be with the prince, her fate where she turns back into a mermaid instead of dying if Eric didn't  kiss her on the third day and the Sea Witch turned into a far more interesting character. But despite my signature is it one of my favorite Disney movies? Not really. I re-watched it recently and the best parts were with Ursula when she was scheming and plotting against King Triton, the song "Poor Unfortunate Souls" itself a ploy for her to somehow gain control of his throne. While the movie has some other fun parts too a lot of it seems like it would appeal to mostly children. And I agree with Avaitor that Ariel's not the sharpest female protagonist in movies. Hell even Pocahontas is stronger than her.

So yeah good movie but not in my opinion one of the best.

I like the original story. In fact I think it's working title was "Daughters of Air".

But I agree about the Sea Witch though.

talonmalon333

Time for #9. You guys can continue chatting 'bout The Little Mermaid, but I'm also putting up the next one.

For of all, might I mention importance? This was one of the earliest animated films ever, AND it was the first animated feature brought to us by Disney. Many films that came after are better, but this is still excellent. The animation is lovely. Also, the Queen is just plain scary, no matter what form she takes. :gonk:

If I had a problem, it would just be that Snow White herself isn't much of a character. She's a, shall I say, "supporting main character". She's the star, but she isn't much on her own. The seven dwarfs are more interesting.

What do you think of it? I sometimes can't believe it came out in 1937! That was... I think, 74 years ago! :huh:

Angus

I'm a bit confused about the payment for Ursula's services. Ariel gives up her voice, but only for the duration of that contract? How does that benefit Ursula? Or were all previous contracts nullified after Triton makes his offer?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I re-watched Snow White with my little sister very recently, and while I fully respect it as a classic and all that, I personally don't feel that it holds up that well, at least compared to the other Disney classics of its era. I mean, to be honest most of the Disney classics that were around when Walt himself was still alive kind of have 1-dimensional characters by today's standards, but in that regard I do realize that those characters are meant to be archetypes, anyways. Still, aside from some truly spectacular animation that definitely holds up better than ever even today, I kind of feel spoiled by a lot of the later Disney films that came after Walt's era. I still enjoy the classics for what they are, though.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 05, 2011, 02:15:51 PM
I re-watched Snow White with my little sister very recently, and while I fully respect it as a classic and all that, I personally don't feel that it holds up that well, at least compared to the other Disney classics of its era. I mean, to be honest most of the Disney classics that were around when Walt himself was still alive kind of have 1-dimensional characters by today's standards, but in that regard I do realize that those characters are meant to be archetypes, anyways. Still, aside from some truly spectacular animation that definitely holds up better than ever even today, I kind of feel spoiled by a lot of the later Disney films that came after Walt's era. I still enjoy the classics for what they are, though.

You like the Disney Renaissance films more then the Golden Age ones?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yes, I enjoy the Disney tales that try to evolve and flesh out their characters more than the ones that are purely traditional fairy-tales who's only characters are all archetypes without any real personality.

In other words, I prefer something like The Hunchback of Notre-Dame to Cinderella and Snow White. The only golden age Disney films that really hold up for me in terms of enjoyment that well are Sleeping Beauty (mostly because of Malificent) and Fantasia.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 05, 2011, 05:19:48 PM
Yes, I enjoy the Disney tales that try to evolve and flesh out their characters more than the ones that are purely traditional fairy-tales who's only characters are all archetypes without any real personality.

In other words, I prefer something like The Hunchback of Notre-Dame to Cinderella and Snow White. The only golden age Disney films that really hold up for me in terms of enjoyment that well are Sleeping Beauty (mostly because of Malificent) and Fantasia.

I think Pinocchio is one of their best, and the scariest with no doubt. :)

talonmalon333

Not part of the Golden Age or the Renaissance. This movie was made during that... awkward period between both. Still, it cannot be overlooked.

Alice is a lovely young child.  And you have to feel bad for what she goes through. Cause this is a VERY wild film. It's about the insanity of the world, but with more taste then shows like, say, Ren and Stimpy or Family Guy.

It's a little darker then many others. I can't pick a favorite part cause I love it all. But the ending is quite memorable. I also like the scene where she is unable to get a cup of tea. This film is just a great wide!

talonmalon333

No one has anything to say about Alice in Wonderland? :zonk: