Let's talk Disney movies!

Started by talonmalon333, January 04, 2011, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I played Surrealist Pillow earlier today, and when I got to "White Rabbit", visions of the movie started coming back to me.

Classic.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Classic indeed, Avaitor, classic... Classic as it is, not many people seem to be big on Alice in Wonderland. Not a problem. Besides, we're moving on now!

There'll be differing opinions on this one. I think it's awesome!

Bambi tells a nice little story. And I have to admit, it was a big part of my childhood. Plus, the places in it always looked lovely. Especially... that scene... you know, the saddest moment in the history of Disney? :cry:

Disney is awesome, and this movie proves it. I find it to be one of Walt's finest. When was it made? 1942? They don't make 'em like they used to!

Veggie

To be honest, I'd say Mufasa's death is way more dramatic and sad. Since Simba actually saw his dead father and was begging him to "wake up".

Though I will say that gunshot is a very chilling sound.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Veggie on January 08, 2011, 01:42:25 PM
To be honest, I'd say Mufasa's death is way more dramatic and sad. Since Simba actually saw his dead father and was begging him to "wake up".

Though I will say that gunshot is a very chilling sound.

I'd say a lot of Bambi's mother's death just has to do with the atmosphere. It's... so sad. :cry:

But anyway...

Now, now, before you start questioning me, nowhere in this thread did I say the list would only consist of Disney's main animated canon. Pixar is part of it and, to me, feels like Disney just as much as anything else you've seen here.

In case I need to say it again, I see the Toy Story series as the heart of Pixar. Nothing else they've done comes close. This movie is just wonderful. I love Woody and Buzz. Over the course of the film, you grow a serious attachment to all of the characters.

I honestly hate the fact that this isn't in the top 5. But oh well. There's no way anything you've already seen on the list can top it in my book. It's an incredible, and very important, achievement!

talonmalon333

Guys... seriously? No one has anything to say? I mean, talking about video games is fun, but this is Animation Revelation. We need more discussion on animation other then the occasional anime post.

Hopefully it's clear as to why I had to keep Toy Story out of the top 5. Cause this here is pure awesomeness. ;D

It's great the whole way through. My only problem is that it peaks immediately when the film starts, with "Circle of Life", so the rest isn't quite as good. But it's still awesome! And I love the other songs, too! This movie has some of the best music.

I'd also like to mention that the final fight between Simba and Scar is COOL. Seriously. Though it's still true that Simba would have had an easier time if Scar didn't cheap shot him.

ANYWAY. What say ya'll?

Avaitor

Only #5? I thought this was a little higher on your list. ???
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't know. I don't consider the Circle of Life to be the peak of the movie at all. Its just a great opening, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the true peak of the movie. Honestly, when it all comes down to it its just an opening song. Its nice to see its message of how all living things work in unison in one way or another, but it wasn't so great that it made me enjoy the rest of the movie less. On the contrary, it wasn't even my favorite song in the film, as that honor goes to Be Prepared. I like how this is one of the few Disney films that made its villain smart enough to successfully kill off an important character. If anything Scar killing Mufasa was the peak of the film for me.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on January 09, 2011, 12:02:44 PM
Only #5? I thought this was a little higher on your list. ???

It's a little lower then I'd like it to be, but then again most of these are. :P

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 09, 2011, 12:29:03 PM
I don't know. I don't consider the Circle of Life to be the peak of the movie at all. Its just a great opening, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the true peak of the movie. Honestly, when it all comes down to it its just an opening song. Its nice to see its message of how all living things work in unison in one way or another, but it wasn't so great that it made me enjoy the rest of the movie less. On the contrary, it wasn't even my favorite song in the film, as that honor goes to Be Prepared. I like how this is one of the few Disney films that made its villain smart enough to successfully kill off an important character. If anything Scar killing Mufasa was the peak of the film for me.

That's fine. Personally, I think it's Disney's best song ever. I can't pick what I like best about it between the beginning or the end of the song.

Veggie

Yeah, that whole stampede scene is amazing. The music works perfectly with it, and it's just so intense. They really shined with the animation there.

And as for Toy Story, after re-watching it recently, I can say that it really is a great movie. Maybe it's because I'm an "adult" now, but the movie really made me nostalgic. The characters were wonderful as well, like you said.

Avaitor

While my friends and I were watching the first Toy Story together before we saw 3, they noted how clever the script was in pretty much all regards. The Buzz Light Beer line is one joke you wouldn't even think about on your first few views, for one thing. It's a simple but very well done kids movie that I think can appeal to anyone at any age, and the sequels greatly expand on it.

And I still think that the animation in The Lion King is in a class by itself. Combined on top of the atmosphere and Zimmer's excellent score, and the stampede scene probably has the best use of CAPS in the studio's history.

Picking a favorite scene from the movie is impossible, since even brief seconds of it have enough to gush about for ages, but that entire sequence was brilliant.

New blog!

Angus

Is it okay to cry during Lion King?  :cry:
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

Mantears are always acceptable.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

It takes quality like this to surpass The Lion King! ;D

I find this to be one of the best, easily. The whole film is wonderful. "When You Wish Upon a Star" is such a nice song, and is probably on par with "Beauty and the Beast" as the most known Disney songs.

One thing I'll always note is that this, by a country mile, is Disney's scariest film. First you have Stromboli, who's REALLY scary, especially in the scene after the play. And then you have all of the children on the island being bad. Remember what happens to them? :huh:

But in my opinion, the part that takes the cake as the scariest is the Monstro scene. I STILL find it to be scary? Not sure what part of the whole scene is scariest though. A notable part is when you just see it lying on the bottom of the ocean. Then there's the part where it's enraged... UGH, this whole movie is scary. And that makes it all the better in the end! :)

talonmalon333

Well it appears no one has any taste in Disney films, so let's move onto THE BIG THREE!

I could say a few things, but I'm just going to copy and past what I said on another site. SPOILERS AHEAD.

"Well I feel like giving a summary of my experience with this movie since the end of Toy Story 2. Let me start by saying I loved the first two movies, although I've almost always liked the first one more, mostly due to the competition between Woody and Buzz. But anyway, after seeing the second movie back in 1999, a third movie was expected. But then we heard nothing about it for years. I believed for the longest time that it was canceled, although I heard a few times that it was still scheduled.

Then a few years back we heard official news about it (I think it might have been 2007). To be honest I was really worried that they'd blow it, considering most Disney sequels are usually unworthy. However I was intrigued by the plot of Andy leaving for college and having to do something with his toys. That's what Toy Story 2 was leading up to, after all.

I didn't think a whole lot about Toy Story 3 until we got the first trailer, either in 2008 or 2009. Just seeing that the trailer had the same feel as the classics gave me hope that this movie would be good. Then, towards the end of last year, Toy Story and Toy Story 2 were re-released in theaters in 3D together, plus a real preview for the third movie. It was then when I was truly really optimistic about this movie. Up until it hit theaters this past 2010 summer, I felt that it didn't have to be as good as the first two movies to satisfy me. Because back then, I apparently knew that it wouldn't be as good as Toy Story and most likely Toy Story 2.

And then I saw it in June. Well, let me say this. Soon after seeing it I realized that it was surely better then Toy Story 2, an incredibly impressive feat already. And after thinking about it more, I ultimately decided that I liked it even more then the original, something I never imagined and told myself wouldn't happen. It just blew away my expectations. It was funny, but also emotional. I think my favorite part was the scene where they believed they were going to die. I was really on the edge in those moments. But the ending is a close second. At first I expected Woody to leave with Andy and the others to go up to the attic. I felt that was a nice little goodbye between Woody and Buzz, along with the others. However, the ending we truly got was better. As I said in another thread, it's the only movie I can think of that made me feel like this..."
:cry:

(Except now that I think about it, I prefer the ending slightly over the incinerator scene.)

Avaitor

They're both great movies. What more do you want us to add?

New blog!